Can Religious Thought and Intellectual Honesty Coexist?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:32 am
MommaAngel wrote:
Now, I do understand about the Christians that force it down your throat and I tend to agree with you there (only about that they shouldn't do that), but what about those that don't try to force it?

Hi! Glad to see you back. I would have no problem with any Christians, except for the fact that there are a group of those folks, including yourself, who are attempting to pass laws, that would affect all Americans, based on a Christian's perception of biblical teachings. I think that we have discussed this point, ad nauseum, but that is my only personal objection.

That is not to say that I agree with religious teachings. I am basically in agreement with Frank, as far as the veracity of religion, including Christianity, is concerned. Personally, I have little respect for any school of thought that is based on faith. But I do have respect for the RIGHT of people to hold those beliefs, if they keep the beliefs amongst themselves. But alas, in the US, many Christians amongst us seem to want the country run using their own religious frame of reference. And THAT is the reason why I object so vehemently.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:42 am
As intelligent people, we know that we cannot prove the existence of God. We know that it is faith that motivates us to follow the teachings of Christ. We know that not everyone will follow these teachings. We know that it is not up to us to make others believe. We know that we should make these things known to those who want to know about them. We know what faith is.

We also know that if our belief in the trinity makes us better people with a goal and vision of what our future may be like beyond this world, then it is worth the sacrifices and devotion that we extend now. We also know that there are people who speak of Christianity who do not speak for the majority of Christians.

We are not all bible thumping morons who do not know what we believe and try to follow in the footsteps of Christ. I do not believe in forcing Christianity, or any other religion, down people's throats, but I do believe that I have the right to have my own beliefs, faith and yes, trust, in God. I also believe that I am no better than those of other faiths or the agnostics or atheists among us.

We are all here to co-exist in whatever manner we choose. I only hope that we can do it in harmony, peace and love. This can be hard, even for us Christians, as can be evidenced by our rebuttals to some of what we consider attacks etc. If having our beliefs can make us a better person that we might otherwise be, good on us.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 06:59 am
Wow! Those are pretty nice postings to read this morning!

Frank you are right. I was just asking a question, not just of you, but of others. Because there are, as you must know, those that would be what I guess you could called the opposite of those Christians that do force it down one's throat. So, okay, I will keep in mind this is all for the sake of discussion.

Phoenix, let me ask you a question. Suppose I told you that I don't believe abortion is wrong ONLY because I am a Christian? I have never believed in it. So, does that make a difference? And thanx for the welcome back! I really missed you guys.

Intrepid, so well written and so glad to see you my mentor!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:05 am
MommaAngel wrote:
Phoenix, let me ask you a question. Suppose I told you that I don't believe abortion is wrong ONLY because I am a Christian? I have never believed in it. So, does that make a difference?

I think that there are probably people who think abortion is wrong for reasons that have nothing to do with religion. That is their right, and I respect that. They also have the right to choose NOT to have an abortion. Problem is, the vocal anti-abortionists are attempting to deprive the right of other people, who do not have the same beliefs as they do, the right to make their choice.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:15 am
So then, are you saying it does not matter why you are against abortion, you just shouldn't try to change the law so they are not legal?

I have been up all night again and I am off to sleep. So, if that didn't make much sense, I will try to straighten it out later!

Nite (morning) everyone!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:19 am
MommaAngel wrote:
So then, are you saying it does not matter why you are against abortion, you just shouldn't try to change the law so they are not legal?

Right. My credo is "The right to swing your arm ends at the other fellow's nose". Be kind to your fellow human beings, but don't attempt to run their lives according your own personal beliefs.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:22 am
Just a question. Should a person try to stop the other fellow from harming themselves or committing suicide if they are aware of it and have the ability to do so?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:36 am
Intrepid wrote:
Just a question. Should a person try to stop the other fellow from harming themselves or committing suicide if they are aware of it and have the ability to do so?

Yes. Often a potential suicide can be nipped in the bud if a person is helped in time, as in the case of depression. Conversely, I think that if a person is hell bent on killing themselves, all the intervention in the world will not help. What comes to mind is that for many people, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem".

I do think that there are times that suicide is an appropriate option. When I had a so-called "terminal" illness, I made provisions to commit suicide if the need arose. That is because I love life, and did not want to live in a state of constant decline. Happily, the problem never arose.

In the future, if I ever experience a serious decline, with no chance of recovery, and a quality of life that is unacceptable to me, I am prepared to take my life into my own hands.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 07:56 am
Phoenix,
I am glad that things turned around for you. I also hope that you never have to face the prospect in the future.

However, my question was more specific to preventing someone else from doing so. This was in response to your comment below.
Quote:
Be kind to your fellow human beings, but don't attempt to run their lives according your own personal beliefs.

At what point do we jump in when our own personal beliefs say that this person needs help? What would the majority of people do? I am not using this as an argument against what you believe. I am just trying to rationalize where intervention is ok and where it is not.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:23 am
Intrepid wrote:
At what point do we jump in when our own personal beliefs say that this person needs help? What would the majority of people do? I am not using this as an argument against what you believe. I am just trying to rationalize where intervention is ok and where it is not.

I understand the point that you are making, and indeed it is a serious judgement call. I think that as a compassionate human being, it is incumbent upon us to intervene when we think that a person is attempting to end his life, because of an adverse life event that he is unable to handle, or out of depression.

I would certainly come to the assistance of someone who was in that predicament, and do what I could to turn the situation around. Remember, I am not forcing anyone to do or not do anything. I would use my ability to persuade that person that he needs help, and would offer to assist him in obtaining that help. I might call for assistance from other persons, or mental health agencies, to help me to discourage the person from committing suicide.

Bottom line though, as I have said before, if someone really wants to kill themselves, there is little that anyone can do. It is in those cases where the suicidal gesture is really a cry for help from a distraught individual, where an intervention may literally become the difference between life and death.
0 Replies

djbt

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:54 am
Doomed wrote:
Also, djbt and others:

OK, let's say "rational thought" instead of "science." But, remember, that must include the idea that we don't know everything. So... the irony is, if you are attempting to base your life solely on rational thought, you have to leave room for the possibility that, at least, some seemingly irrational aspects of life may turn out to be rational after all.

As an agnostic, I do leave room for that possibility. Of course we don't know everything, or, indeed, very much at all. The trouble is, there are so many unprovable possibilities that could be rational, so many of which are mutually exclusive, that it seems ridiculous to me to do anything more than leave room for the possibility. To have any feeling as strong as a 'belief' or 'faith' in such a thing is, frankly, ludicrous.

For example, I keep open the possibility that there is a small floating purple mushroom which always flies just behind my back where I can't see it. I keep open the possibility that there is a creator God and his son was Jesus Christ. I keep open the possibility that whenever I am not looking, the whole world turns to jelly, and only takes the form I see when I am looking at it. But to do any more than keep those possibilities open, is, at best, pointless. To believe any one of them, to have faith that any one of them is true, is intellectually dishonest.

Doomed wrote:
I did think of something which might be helpful. What we listed the things we believe in. I wonder what that would reveal. I highly suspect there would be a lot of beautiful irrationality involved.

I think you may be confusing two meanings of the word 'belief' here: the belief that something is true, and the belief that something is morally right. I do not, and nor do many people, believe in anything that is not at least likely to be true. I do, however, have moral beliefs that could never be called true or untrue, as they concern how things should be, not how things are. Belief in a religion is a belief about how things are, and therefore is within the realm of things that must be at least likely to be true to be worth believing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 12:05 pm
Afternoon Everyone!

There are some fastatic thoughts going on here. Such a complex world.

Phoenix Wrote:

Quote:
I understand the point that you are making, and indeed it is a serious judgement call. I think that as a compassionate human being, it is incumbent upon us to intervene when we think that a person is attempting to end his life, because of an adverse life event that he is unable to handle, or out of depression.

I would certainly come to the assistance of someone who was in that predicament, and do what I could to turn the situation around. Remember, I am not forcing anyone to do or not do anything. I would use my ability to persuade that person that he needs help, and would offer to assist him in obtaining that help. I might call for assistance from other persons, or mental health agencies, to help me to discourage the person from committing suicide.

Bottom line though, as I have said before, if someone really wants to kill themselves, there is little that anyone can do. It is in those cases where the suicidal gesture is really a cry for help from a distraught individual, where an intervention may literally become the difference between life and death.

I am getting to know you better and better, Phoenix. So many of your thoughts and feelings are so well put. I, too, am so glad that our situation turned around and you are now well.

Can't it be said that the way I feel about abortion is how you feel here? By my wanting the laws to be against abortion, am I not trying to persuade someone or many someones to not end a life (IMO, a human life?)

This is a very, very fine line, as I think you point out extremely well. I guess it's kind of like if someone really wants to have an abortion, they will get one, and yes, maybe it seems the prudent thing to do would be provide them the opportunity to have a safe abortion, but still along the same train of thought?

That "...where an intervention may literally become the difference between life and death" just really stands out there. Is this not what I am trying to accomplish with my feelings about abortion, religious views aside here.

djbt Wrote:

Quote:
I think you may be confusing two meanings of the word 'belief' here: the belief that something is true, and the belief that something is morally right. I do not, and nor do many people, believe in anything that is not at least likely to be true. I do, however, have moral beliefs that could never be called true or untrue, as they concern how things should be, not how things are. Belief in a religion is a belief about how things are, and therefore is within the realm of things that must be at least likely to be true to be worth believing.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:51 pm
MommaAngel wrote:
Can't it be said that the way I feel about abortion is how you feel here? By my wanting the laws to be against abortion, am I not trying to persuade someone or many someones to not end a life (IMO, a human life?)

I understand where you are going with this. But I don't think that were are comparing equals. I believe that a fetus is not a human life, It is living, but until it had developed to the point where it can live outside of its mother, IMO, it is simply a potential, a part of the host, who is the woman. In the case of early pregnancy, I believe that the rights of the woman outweighs the rights of the fetus.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:56 pm
If the host doesn't want to carry the fetus to term, that's her business. Those trying to impose their will on the host doesn't understand anything about privacy.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
Phoenix Wrote:

Quote:
I understand where you are going with this. But I don't think that were are comparing equals. I believe that a fetus is not a human life, It is living, but until it had developed to the point where it can live outside of its mother, IMO, it is simply a potential, a part of the host, who is the woman. In the case of early pregnancy, I believe that the rights of the woman outweighs the rights of the fetus.

Oh, understood. I was just stating that TO ME (capitalized for emphasis only) it is a human life and can therefore be related to your statement about intervening.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
Phoenix, may I interrupt a moment?

Momma, are you all right? Kristina is wreaking havoc in your neck of the woods.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:15 pm
Letty Wrote:

Quote:

You don't know how many emails and phone calls I have gotten in the past couple of days about this! Yes, I am fine. I am about 300 miles north of New Orleans. We are getting some bad weather, but as of yet, it is too terribly bad. It may get much worse, but it won't be anything like they are getting in the south.

So, if you don't see me on here for a couple of days, we may have lost our electricity or something.

Thanx so much for asking, Letty. That was very thoughtful of you!

Momma Angel
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:43 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Letty Wrote:

Quote:

You don't know how many emails and phone calls I have gotten in the past couple of days about this! Yes, I am fine. I am about 300 miles north of New Orleans. We are getting some bad weather, but as of yet, it is too terribly bad. It may get much worse, but it won't be anything like they are getting in the south.

So, if you don't see me on here for a couple of days, we may have lost our electricity or something.

Thanx so much for asking, Letty. That was very thoughtful of you!

Momma Angel

Good luck, MA.

My sister just got out of New Orleans...and none too soon.

I have a feeling the Big Easy is in for a whole lot of water.

f.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:49 pm
Frank,

I am so glad your sister got out of there! I am sure that is a load off your mind. It's starting to get kind of stormy here, so you probably won't be hearing fromme again today.

Momma Angel
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:32 pm
Re: Can Religious Thought and Intellectual Honesty Coexist?
I have jusr read through this thread and consluded that most of what is here can be traced back to Phonix' opening statement of the topic - a statement I find to be laden with implicit value judgements and inconsistencies, most of which work against those who adopt any belief in god. Some quotes and comments;
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Although there is a continuum, from the devoutly religious, the mildly religious, the agnostic, and the atheist, there appears to be one major difference, and it is a matter of degree, of the way the religious and the non-religious view the world, and his place within it.

To those who adhere to no religion, his "sense of place" is derived from learning about the world, accepting what he finds reasonable, and discarding the rest. It is an ongoing, lifetime process, and reasonable people understand that there are no final answers.

This implies that religious people are not reasonable and do not adopt a learning approach to life. My observation is that close mindedness, ignorance, and intolerance are as commonly found among believers and unbelievers. Examples of the truth of this proposition can be found on most threads in this forum.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
We as humans are constantly evolving, and something that is unknown now, may very well be quite commonly understood tomorrow. If one simply things of what humanity knew of the world just 100 years ago, and what we know today, it is apparent that we are a work-in-progress, ever expanding our knowledge of the world.

IMO, the rational, reasonable person uses his intellect to judge what is true and what is false. That is not to say that he is omnicient; that he does not make mistakes and errors of judgement. What I am saying is that the rational man uses his mind as his guide to understanding his humanity, and his place in the world.

True enough. However even a quick read of the Greek classics will demonstrate that we have not made any significant progress in understanding the human condition in over two thousand years. Moreover, reason does not answer all of the basic questions surrounding man's existence, his consciousness, and his fate. This indeed has been the central subject of the literature, cultural belief & mythology structures, and intellectual inquiry in every civilization about which we have records.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
On the other hand, we have the religious amongst us. He looks at the world differently. It is a frightening world, full of a fierce God, who insists on complete obedience, where he is born automatically tainted with sin. He has his holy books, the Bible, the Koran, etc.

When reason cannot offer an explanation, the religious person turns to those books, even though many of the things written there contradict everything that is reasonable and rational. His rationale....................."faith". When there is no answer, he believes that there are things that simply will never be revealed to him, so instead of saying "I don't know", he will say, "I believe because the (insert name of holy book) tells me so.

Perhaps here you are prejudging and excessively generalizing a perception of "the religious amongst us". Is it truly for them a "frightening world, full of a fierce God, who insists on complete obedience"? Could it be that this is merely your prejudice concerning something you concede you don't accept?

What do you do when "reason cannot offer an explanation"? It seems to me that, explicitly or implicitly, we all adopt some element of faith-based assumptions regarding such questions - even atheists rely on unproven, or unprovable, assumptions.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
The interesting thing is that I have found this phenomenon of blind faith in people who are otherwise quite reasonable. But when matters of faith come into play, reason is completely suspended.

Now my question. Can a person who lives his life with faith (which entails suspending his intellect in the service of his God) be intellectually honest? Can religious thought and intellectual honesty co-exist in one human being?

I believe you have framed this question in a prejudicial way. Does the assumption of belief or faith in an area where reason offers no answer at all truly constitute a 'suspension of the intellect'? While I readily agree that some faiths go well beyond the limits of reason, this is not generally true. Is an atheist who, in the absence of any proof asserts there is no creator of the universe, and no god, any more "intellectually honest" than one who believes there was a creator and who fills his awareness of the otherwise inexplicable isolation and loneliness of the human consciousness with the idea of god?

I believe your reasoning in these areas is flawed, wrongfully assumes virtue on one side and fault on the other, and prejudges the argument itself.

I do appreciate the respectful approach you have taken to this subject and to the various viewpoints that are applied to it (and many others as well). I do not mean to belittle you or anything you have said - only to point out this inconsistency in the way you have framed the question, and the way in which others have pursued it.
0 Replies