Sesame Street confusion!!

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
My colleague has just told me that Bert and Ernie from Sesame street no longer share a bed.Is this true?

Personnaly I cant remmeber if they ever did share a bed but if they did, why dont htey share one anymore!!

We have comedy characters in the UK called Morcombe and Wise(2 men).They shared a bed and nobody batted an eyelid.

This also got me thinking to pantomimes which are aimed towards children.In the UK, Prince Charming in Cinderella is played by a woman and the ugly sisters are played by men!!

I grew up with all this and it didnt confuse me at the time.now Im confused as to why some things like this are ok and others arnt!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,561 • Replies: 21
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:44 am
They had twin beds, in the same room, close to each other. Don't think they ever shared...?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
I am still pissed with Sesame Street for taming Cookie monster, making it eat healthy stuff and compelling it to sing nonsense like "Cookies are a Sometimes Food." With producers capable of such atrocities, anything is possible. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:58 am
S'true...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:23 am
Its not like the cookie monster got fat or anything from eating them!!If he was the one thta lived in the bin/trash can then he couldnt allow himself to get fat.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 11:05 pm
Bert and Ernie always had twin beds.

One of the earliest skits involved Ernie about to eat cookies in his bed. Bert cautions him that he'd get crumbs all over, and get itchy if he ate cookies in his bed, so to solve the problem Ernie goes over to Bert's bed to eat the cookies.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 02:11 am
Oooh, thats a subtle way of getting yourself into someones bed,I may give that a go one day.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 06:28 am
I have always been bothered by the fact that Oscar doesn't get more air time after all he has always carried the show. Just goes to show how people are, you live in a trash can and right away people think less of you. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:16 am
Yes, Burt and Ernie had twin beds

Oh my, I didnt know this about the cookie monster! I cant believe it -- that is so crazy! Couldnt they give him healthy choice cookies? I mean come on!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:20 am
They shoulda brought in the Swedish Chef . . . he'd a hooked everyone up . . .
0 Replies

Able2Believe

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
I am still pissed with Sesame Street for taming Cookie monster, making it eat healthy stuff and compelling it to sing nonsense like "Cookies are a Sometimes Food." With producers capable of such atrocities, anything is possible. Evil or Very Mad

It's awful, i know...they might as well go ahead and change his name as well--- what kind of cookie monster can he really be if he only eats cookies once in a while. can no one enjoy a good cookie anymore without being ridiculed?!?!? what is this world coming to?!?!??!
0 Replies

yellowlab

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:19 pm
I don't think you guys have kids. There is a disease in this county and it is devasting. Childhood obesity is the fastest growning cause of illness and death.
In this country, there used to be a sense of "wellness"..
The producers of Sesame Street are being responsible leaders.
Don't like it? Go eat at McDonalds. Or hey! Burger King
I am now of my soapbox! (I work with alot of kids)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:22 pm
ok - send me the cookies
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 09:32 pm
yellowlab wrote:
I don't think you guys have kids. There is a disease in this county and it is devasting. Childhood obesity is the fastest growning cause of illness and death.
In this country, there used to be a sense of "wellness"..
The producers of Sesame Street are being responsible leaders.
Don't like it? Go eat at McDonalds. Or hey! Burger King
I am now of my soapbox! (I work with alot of kids)

Yeah, I digress.

In my opinion, if parents took initiative of actually teaching their children how to eat right and how not to imitate everything they read/see/hear, then I don't think Cookie Monster would be an issue for parents at all.

I grew up watching cookie monster choke down his chocolate chips! I never thought to myself "well, if the C-monster can do it, so can I!" It was a nostalgic thing for me, humor and entertainment. I never looked at Cookie Monster as a guide to my evening meals.

I think that even kids who do see that and crave cookies should be allowed to have some cookies - but after a healthy serving of greenbeans and carrots, perhaps. It's just a matter of balancing your diet, not banning all the sinful pleasures completely.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 03:59 am
<giggles>
0 Replies

Skwerl X

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:46 am
Frankly, I think Cookie Monster's new "diet" is more a bow to political correctness. Seriously, do you think he's contributed to childhood obesity? The culprit there is TV in general, video games and parental complacency.

As for Big Bird...man, don't get me started...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 05:57 am
Not to mention, Cookie Monster existed decades before childhood obesity exploded. I don't know that anyone has ever come up with good evidence that children get fat because they see things on TV shows. (Besides, what's the point in a reasanoble, pedagogically correct monster?) I think SkwerlX is correct. The taming of Cookie Monster was about politically correct petty tyrants on a power trip. And the urban legend about "Ernie & Bert in separate beds" was fueled by weariness of such petty tyrants.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 08:54 am
Yep.

If you don't know what it is, Google "Lazy Town" -- every politically correct bromide about health in one almost-campy-enough-to-be-cool(but-still-sets-my-teeth-on-edge) show.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:20 am
yellowlab wrote:

I (and my brother) watched SS and cookie monster ate his cookies all the time but neither of us got fat. Blaming a tv show for fat kids is just naive.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
New name: Cookie Nibbler
0 Replies