Grammar -- They themselves...

Seizan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2023 04:44 pm
@Miss L Toad,
From Vol. 3 (unpublished - I hope to have this one fnished by September or October):

"Though much or the information found here is quite different from what is generally published, and is supported with source documentation both ancient and recent, “UechiRyu Bunburyodo” represents only a Zankai perspective with no intention to contradict or supplant the teachings of others. I merely present historical and technical elements that resonate with what appears to be a reasonable degree of logic and veracity. The key purpose is in accordance with Toyama Sensei’s request to me, that being to compile a record of the concepts affecting the techniques taught by Uechi Kanbun Sensei to Toyama Seiko Sensei, and then to us (Toyama Sensei’s students). Historical information outlines the social, political, and cultural origins of these concepts and techniques to better explain why they are essential to our training, allowing me to share them in as straightforward but comprehensive a format as possible along with their background. These concepts and philosophies are the crucial elements in our system, just as important to our personal development as the techniques themselves. History is the scaffolding upon which they rely, crucial to the research, presentation, and preservation of these lifestyle and training fundamentals."

"Despite the strongest support or evidence, nowhere is it demanded that a reader believe what is written, or that he change his personal belief (or disbelief) system. However, if the reader finds sense in what he reads and wishes to apply it to his understanding of UechiRyu, then I am grateful for his flexibility, and he will find that he is not alone on the path."
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2023 06:51 pm
* Though much of the information found here..."

Not "...or the information..."

Section was copied from my yet-unedited draft.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2023 07:37 pm
@Seizan,
Quote:
some older techniques from the original system were deemed too difficult, anachronistic, or too "Chinese" by some of the Japanese exponents of the system. They were therefor deleted from the system or modified to be acceptable to Japanese practitioners.

This is more informative than the original sentence.

All the best with the next volume in the series.
Seizan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2023 09:47 pm
@Miss L Toad,
Thanks. It's sometimes difficult to convey information accurately when presenting a single sentence out of context.

I didn't mean to dump so much explanation on you (sorry), I only wanted to know if the sentence's grammatical structure was correct.

:-)
Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 07:08 am
@Seizan,
The additional information was vital context and I enjoyed finding out a little bit about your involvement and school of the art.

0 Replies