Plein Air painter Ingrid Nickelsen

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:56 pm
Although those aren't entirely separate, I don't think, having been partly there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:01 pm
The detectives are cool, to me.. they could read her struggle by the marks and her splint and rigged apparatus - they didn't trample it. Time will take care of that, as it should. They read her struggle and paid attention to it.

I have spent some time thinking of her death with horror, but this article not only helped, it gave me - if not a new view or perspective - some heartening.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:20 pm
Osso--

The Victorians dealt with a great deal of untimely death and worked out a standardized vocabulary--facile but useful--for dealing with reality.

Very few middde-class women in their early sixties die perusing a dream.

Your friend did.

The police are practical experts in untimely death and they will remember her courage--perhaps at times when they must struggle on and on and on against all hope.

Untimely death is always horrible. Untimely death always requires contemplation to try to discover the way that death fits into the universe of the mourner.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:25 pm
True.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:30 pm
When my son died as the result of a miscalculated risk I learned a lot about death.

The Victorians had the "advantage" of death as a daily activity.
We're sheltered.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:02 pm
I suppose I am sheltered, relative to history, victorians or otherwise., though I have read a fair amount. This death mattered to me and I can't just say to myself, the victorians would have thought nothing of it. That would not occur to me.

I am not so sure how sheltered I am, Noddy. I have read a great deal, but not lived in past history.

I don't give many wits about victorians, though I think they had value.

I'm pretty interested in now, this situation, and am rested by the article.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:12 pm
Occo--

I did not mean to diminish your present grief by comparisons with a live before modern medicine.

In my view, because of modern medicine, an untimely death is not a commonplace of life but an outrage. The Victorians dealt with commonplace death. We must deal with outrage.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:18 pm
And I just jumped up from the bed to which I put myself to say I do care about your son.

Peace.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
Of course you care about my son.

Also, of course, while my son's death establishes my credentials in grief, my son's death it doesn't do one damn thing to mitigate your turmoil about the lost of a highly gifted woman of your generation and your world.

Please go back to bed and sleep. Time will bring your loss into perspective--eventually. The Victorians created timetables for death: mourning, light mouring, armbands for the briefly mouring...

2005 has no rules--except perhaps the Jewish shiva--for mourning as a process of growth.

We have to invent our own.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2005 04:49 am
Sad, and sadly a propos news here, ladies and gentlemen: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61007

Please join me in honoring Joanne. ossobuco also has a separate topic to honor her, I believe it's also in the General forum. Thank you.
0 Replies