The natives are restless (and over-weight)

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:28 am
When you first see it, plopped down on a paper plate in all its caloric bliss, the round, doughy treat is so appealing, so alluring it's hard to believe this wondrous sight can cause anything but delight.
But fry bread, that fluffy concoction American Indian women lovingly make in their kitchens and people line up for at powwows and western fairs, has come under attack as a hazard to health.
Suzan Shown Harjo, a Cheyenne and Muscogee Indian, wasn't trying to cause a debate. She just was exhausted with yet another one of her relatives dying of diabetes. She zoned in on fry bread as a culprit and whipped out a January column for Indian Country Today declaring it junk food that leads to fat Indians.
"Those things are awesome," tribal police officer Mario Saraficio said, getting excited at the thought. "It's bad, but it's good. If the doctor told me I had to give it up, I'd say probably not."

Fry bread came to be by necessity. When the government moved Indians off their land and onto reservations in the 1800s, they were kept from their traditional foods such as elk, corn, deer and rabbit. In their place were rations of flour, salt and lard, and Indian women did what they could with it, creating the wonderful fry bread that would become part of their culture.
Ingredients vary today, but the main ones are still white flour, salt, sugar and lard. Some call it a popover, and options are endless for how to eat it. There's the Indian taco, fry bread with red chili and beans, or the extra sweet version with powdered sugar or honey on top.
In Phoenix, there is the popular Fry Bread House restaurant, where you can get fry bread pretty much anyway you want. The most sinful? Fry bread topped with gooey chocolate syrup and oozing with butter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 864 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:54 am
Quit that out . . . now i'm jonsin' for some fried bread drippin' with butter . . . my grandmother would make that, only it was called it "dog ears" because of the resemblance to the large, floppy ears of houds . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
Yeah really Set, my grandmother did the same. Meself and the lady Diane will be out getting some good fry bread this afternoon (from a Navaho lady that has a tent out beside the highway where she makes and sells the fry bread daily)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:29 am
used to get something very similar in chinatown when i lived in toronto
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:51 am
That Chinese fried bread in t.o. ain't the same, djjd, but damn, it's good . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:45 am
mmmmmm fry bread...... I've made myself ill by eating the stuff once or twice a year for decades.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
I think the dietary smarties have figured out that lard is not as bad for you as, say, trans fats.

I look forward to trying some fry bread right soon.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:03 pm
Fried dough its called around these parts - with lots of powdered sugar (maybe some cinnamon too) sprinkled on it.

Yummy! Haven't had it in years.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:58 pm
Is that the same thing as bannock?
Sure sounds like it. We make it and wrap it around a stick; then dip in the fire or in a pot of boiling fat. Mmm. With jam or maple syrup, it's great. Oh, and don't skimp on the butter:)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:05 pm
Bannock?

Quote:
Sure sounds like it. We make it and wrap it around a stick; then dip in the fire or in a pot of boiling fat. Mmm. With jam or maple syrup, it's great. Oh, and don't skimp on the butter:)

I remember a folk tale--probably from the Andrew Lang collection in which three sons each order their mother:

"Bake me a bannock and roast me a collop for I'm off to seek my fortune."

When I was a Girl Scout we called your bannock's "doughboys" or campfire biscuits. I understand the "doughboys" dated back to WW I.

Bannocks, now. Bannocks are romantic--even if a "collop" is a itty-bitty piece of meat.
0 Replies