Need help replacing an electrical receptacle

RfromP

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:09 am
Is it possible to replace this

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5418/gfcireceptacle8un.png

with one of these?

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4416/combinedswitchandsocketoutlet9.jpg

What I want to do is install a garbage disposal (3 prong cord attached) but can't afford what it would cost to hire an electrician to add a new receptacle and separate switch.

If I can wire the combined switch and socket outlet to have the switch just control the outlet I think I'm in business.

Any electricians out there willing to give some free advice to a financially challenged do it yourselfer? I'd be much obliged for any assistance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,197 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:57 am
pretty sure its possible, RfromP.

my father-in-law could probably do it.
i'll send him a note and get back to you...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:11 am
Rule 1- When you do this, make sure that the circuit breaker to that particular recepticle is turned "off"!
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:16 am
Region Philbis wrote:
pretty sure its possible, RfromP.

my father-in-law could probably do it.
i'll send him a note and get back to you...

Thank you sir
0 Replies

Zogger

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:34 pm
Yes you can, but in most areas local codes require a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interuptor) outlet anywhere near water, such as kitchens, bathrooms, wetbars, etc.

Go to your local home improvement store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They can help you pick the required devices to meet code and most often can explain how to install it.
0 Replies

maxpower hd

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:23 am
GFI
The outlet you want to replace is a GFI (ground fault interrupt) outlet. This will trip the circuit if it or something that is plugged into it comes into contact with water. This is a very important safety device that should not be removed.

It is possible to replace it. However, I would recommend replacing the circuit breaker it is tied into with a GFI breaker. Then you could use a standard outlet without sacrificing safety.

Again, the building supply center should be able to offer some good advice as well.

Good luck.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
Re: GFI
maxpower_hd wrote:
The outlet you want to replace is a GFI (ground fault interrupt) outlet. This will trip the circuit if it or something that is plugged into it comes into contact with water. This is a very important safety device that should not be removed.

It is possible to replace it. However, I would recommend replacing the circuit breaker it is tied into with a GFI breaker. Then you could use a standard outlet without sacrificing safety.

Again, the building supply center should be able to offer some good advice as well.

Good luck.

I found a GFCI outlet/switch combo at Home Depot which will alleviate the safety concern, I do however need to know if the switch controls the outlet and if not how can I wire it to do so. Thanks.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:21 pm
Re: GFI
RfromP wrote:
I found a GFCI outlet/switch combo at Home Depot which will alleviate the safety concern, I do however need to know if the switch controls the outlet and if not how can I wire it to do so. Thanks.

Since you bought it at Home Depot and I just did the same thing yesterday I'll say "No". I made the mistake of assuming the switch could control the outlet and bought 3 only to find that they won't. I went back to Home Depot and returned them but they don't carry another model that will.

I was left with replacing the breaker in the main box with a GFCI breaker and then installing a standard switch/outlet to get the desired effect and remain within the Electrical Code.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 08:14 pm
Thanks fishin', that's about what I had figured. I was hoping there was an easy way to go about it, too bad.
0 Replies