saw an infomercial last night...

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 03:52 am
... for a weight loss system that sounds too good to be true.

this dude michael thurmond claims you can scuplt your body into any shape you desire simply by eating the proper foods (thus maximizing your metabolism) and by doing some light exercises (targetting the areas in question).

no starving yourself -- apparently you're supposed to eat more, not less Confused

hmmm...

now, i'm the kinda guy that immediately changes the channel when one of these appears on the screen, but i sat there like a droolin' ijjit and watched the entire 25 minute schpiel.

the people who gave testimonials seemed very sincere about it (yeah, i know they're getting paid, blahblahblah...)

i could stand to drop about 20 lbs, and i don't have the time or desire to workout like a madman the way i used to.

dammit, they want my $120, and i'm kinda/sorta tempted to look into it...

so, has anyone out there tried it?
did it work for u?
did it cramp your style?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,560 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:12 am
Oy, Region! Haven't you learned by now? You CAN sculpt an area of the body through weight training, but just eating certain foods will not do it.

Let's say that you have two bodies, each of the same size and weight. If one of the people works out, he will have a higher muscle/body fat ratio, according to which areas of the body that he targets.

"Light exercise" just won't do it. Changing a body through exercise is hard work. Save your money. The only part of you that this program will lighten is your wallet!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:20 am
While $120 bucks isn't exactly a fortune these days, why throw it away? You're old enough to know better. Listen to Phoenix. She's usually right.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:37 am
for me its only $6 a pound -- talk about a bargain Wink

i figure it can't hurt to investigate the matter a little before i put my foldin' money away...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 06:04 am
If your burn more calories than you consume, you'll loose weight.

If you exercise, you'll burn calories and create muscle.

If you send them the money, you'll become part of a weight lose group and the group spirit may help.

Check out the A2K weight lose group for free group spirit.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 04:23 pm
I've seen this infomercial too. It does sound appealing but I don't think they tell you everything. For instance, if you check out the Provida Life Sciences website, you'll find that they sell 'accelerator' supplements. They don't mention supplements in the infomercial, they just say you're guaranteed to lose weight if you follow everything in the book. I wonder how much is in the book that they don't talk about in the video - diet pills, for instance.

http://www.provida.com/products_main.asp

I found a couple complaints posted on the Consumer Affairs web site, but not as many as you would expect.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/nutrition/provida.html

I guess if $120.00 sounds like a good risk, it won't hurt you to try it, just be sure to return it early and call ahead for return authorization before sending it back if you decide to try to get your money back.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:44 pm
Noddy, i'm finding that sitting around all day at a 'puter makes it muy difficult to burn calories Confused

accelerator supplements -- sounds fishy to me.
thanx for the info, J_B!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 08:53 pm
If it sounds too good to be true. . . .

Following everything the book sounds like boilerplate caveat to me. The book might say "three peas and a teaspoon of ground beef for dinner, followed by your usual 5 mile evening run."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:06 pm
"trimspa" is another one of those supplements that guarantees drastic weight loss.

trepidation prevents me from going that route.

ok, you'll have to excuse me now -- its time to do some crunches...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
Brutality time:

Quote:
Noddy, i'm finding that sitting around all day at a 'puter makes it muy difficult to burn calories

....and in between segments of computer time in the evening?

Of course, I understand that job requirements preclude reducing caloric intake. Miracles are your only hope.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:47 pm
Those "diets" take advantage of uninformed consumers.

There is NO special formula out there. For example, professional bodybuilders and athletes do pretty much the same crap I do. Even though people think otherwise, they don't have any special access to anything you can't get, and spending your money on that ad isn't going to give you insight to anything revolutionary.

How to reach excercise goals:
1) Diet.
2) Workout.
3) Consistency. Don't stray...you have to make your healthy eating habits and workouts part of your lifestyle, not a 6 week plan.

If you want to spend $120 to lose weight, send it to me....I'll give you much better info than a fly by night infomercial.

(When you said it mentioned eating more, not less...that's what you're supposed to do, in terms of number of meals, not daily caloric count).
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 01:39 pm
Quote:
If you want to spend $120 to lose weight, send it to me

Slappy,
what, no freebies?

in a perfect world... i wouldn't have to waste 50 to 60 hours a week working/commuting.

i could workout 2 or 3 times a day, eat small, healthy meals in between, and get a solid 8 hours of sleep at night...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:25 pm
Those freak bodybuilders that weigh close to 300lbs and shredded? Their workout sessions are typically 1 hour a day, 4-5 days a week. Working out 3 times a day is useless.

Nobody said making the time is necessarily easy, but 3-4 hours a week is all it takes for a well rounded workout plan.

And I don't buy anyone saying they don't have time for a good diet. You can compromise with nutrition bars/shakes right at your work desk, and bringing prepared meals. I did it for almost 5 years working at a car dealership(50 hrs/week), which can be an extremely hectic work environment.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:27 pm
But back to topic, nothing they're selling on TV is going to substitute for diet/working out.

There's ONE over the counter drug that's effective for weight loss, and I think it's still banned from the FDA, but supposedly coming back: ephedrine, but it can be dangerous for some people. Every other weight loss pill is absolutely worthless...may as well eat paper.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 03:46 pm
i'd workout 3x a day if i could only bcos i enjoy it...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 04:00 pm
I have changed jobs so I can walk to work.

I just wasn't getting back into exercise - so, I figured,m build it into the day.

Now I have to go, cos I hafta ferking walk to work, and it takes time - and I am gonna be all sweaty on my first ferking day in a new ferking job.

What have I done?
0 Replies