Can a Christian Lose Their Salvation?

squinney

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 02:54 pm
Found this.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-t006.html

Looks like I'm good to go despite my recent doubts.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 06:57 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Mills75- You are crying for ME? I am appalled by your naivete.

Ooh, I haven't been accused of suffering from naivete in years; say it again--I'm due for a Just for Men treatment and that made me feel young. :wink:

baddog1: btw--while my posts have been largely tongue-in-cheek, I wasn't kidding about the Baptist minister. I've known many fundamentalist Christians who believe that once you're saved you can't become 'unsaved'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:22 am
I'm goin' straight to Hell, and i'm glad of it. There'll be so many of us, the hours are gonna be real short. The rest of you clowns can spend eternity massaging the ego of the adolescently insecure deity, i'll be happy where i'm at.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:17 am
Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
I'm goin' straight to Hell, and i'm glad of it. There'll be so many of us, the hours are gonna be real short. The rest of you clowns can spend eternity massaging the ego of the adolescently insecure deity, i'll be happy where i'm at.

Well, as long as you'll be happy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:45 am
Sarcasm doesn't sink in much with you, does it, Boss? When Paris was in the grip of the Revolution, and the Committee for Public Safety was in charge, Maximilien Robespierre had signs put up on the walls of all the cemeteries which read, translated into English: "Here is only eternal sleep." The only thing that murderous bastard and his toadies ever came up with with which i agree.

Alleging that there is a heaven or a hell is an extraordinary contention. Those who make such claims have the burden of proof. Absent plausible evidence, for my purposes, there is no heaven, there is no hell--there is only eternal sleep.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
If you are saved, but then choose not to go to heaven, will God force you to go?

I would refuse heaven on principle.. I think the whole idea is unjust.

If they made me go, I wouldn't enjoy it.

(BTW I fall in the once saved category.)
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:17 am
That sounds a little like a "Deep Thought" by Jack Handy.

Jack Handy wrote:
if a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:23 am
Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
Sarcasm doesn't sink in much with you, does it, Boss? When Paris was in the grip of the Revolution, and the Committee for Public Safety was in charge, Maximilien Robespierre had signs put up on the walls of all the cemeteries which read, translated into English: "Here is only eternal sleep." The only thing that murderous bastard and his toadies ever came up with with which i agree.

Alleging that there is a heaven or a hell is an extraordinary contention. Those who make such claims have the burden of proof. Absent plausible evidence, for my purposes, there is no heaven, there is no hell--there is only eternal sleep.

Whoa there, Big Guy! I honestly meant no sarcasm. Actually, Set, I didn't read your post as being sarcastic. I read it with the humor I thought you were putting into it. So, please accept my apology for my seeming to be sarcastic.

ebrown_p Wrote:

Quote:
If you are saved, but then choose not to go to heaven, will God force you to go?

I would refuse heaven on principle.. I think the whole idea is unjust.

If they made me go, I wouldn't enjoy it.

(BTW I fall in the once saved category.)

I can honestly say, I have never heard that question before. I guess that if one choose not to go then God would not force you, as He has given us all free will.

I do have a question though and I am very sincere in asking this because I don't understand it. I have seen in these threads and have often heard, "I was once saved." Now, as a Christian, I have always believed that once saved, always saved. Would you mind telling me your thoughts on this?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:58 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I do have a question though and I am very sincere in asking this because I don't understand it. I have seen in these threads and have often heard, "I was once saved." Now, as a Christian, I have always believed that once saved, always saved. Would you mind telling me your thoughts on this?

If you were 'saved' while a Christian but later rejected Christianity, then you would probably cease to consider yourself saved.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 09:59 am
And likely cease to care . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:26 am
Mills75 wrote:

Jack Handy wrote:
if a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

This reminds me of a t-shirt I once saw on a baby. It was a picture of a six pack of beer and said "Daddy drinks because I cry."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
LionTamerX,

How very sad. Children being blamed for their parents' bad acts. No wonder so many grow up so confused and angry.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 04:36 pm
The argument for this question of losing salvation has long been; "was the person actually saved to begin with"?

However, the following scriptures seem to answer this.

Hebrews 10:26, 27
26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

2 Peter 2:20-21
20If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.

Any thoughts?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 04:44 pm
Actually baddog1, this is what I have been taught and, yes, what I believe. I find it hard to understand that if one accepts Christ as their Savior (sincerely, honestly, and fully) then they would not lose that.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:03 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Mills75 wrote:

Jack Handy wrote:

This reminds me of a t-shirt I once saw on a baby. It was a picture of a six pack of beer and said "Daddy drinks because I cry."

Laughing

I'll have to find that shirt when I start having kids.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 07:08 pm
baddog1 wrote:
The argument for this question of losing salvation has long been; "was the person actually saved to begin with"?

However, the following scriptures seem to answer this.

Hebrews 10:26, 27
26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

2 Peter 2:20-21
20If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.

Any thoughts?

While the thoughts of others may act as a guide, it is up to us to determine our own truths.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
Momma Angel wrote:
I am truly appalled at the obvious lack of respect in most of these posts and truly, truly saddened for each of you displaying that lack of respect.

Give me a break.

Who are you? The self appointed Salvation Police?

From observation, I have seen that trying to stay on the good side of you involves this constant balancing act of people trying to of trying to express their individual thoughts and not somehow appalling, offending or some how causing you indignation on behalf of God.

Next I gonna hear, 'well, I was JUST expressing my opinion, I didn't mean to offend'!

You know, if heaven is full of souls like yours, I definitley don't want to go....I don't want to spend all eternity walking on eggshells for fear of saying something in the equivilent of "soul talk" that will offend your precious sensibilites.

BTW - there is something that as always offended me. Your online name. You are not an angel, angels are angels. You are a human being. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when people make asinine remarks like 'oh she/he's an angel now' like when a baby dies.
And the momma part, yeah I read where you're part of this orgnaization and so forth, but guess what, you're not MY mother, so I really don't need to hear about appalled you are.......

Even though this is a forum, some things can be left unsaid. To be honest, your attitude represents just about everything about Christianity I dislike.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:52 pm
And why is that Chai Tea? Because I find making jokes about God and an individual's personal beliefs inappropriate? Let's see, if you use certain words in regards to a person of a different color or race, you can be sued for it. I thought no one was to be discriminated against because of their race, creed, nationality, or religion?

What makes it ok for some to do it and some not? You have every right to your opinion and I respect that right. I just don't feel ANYONE has the right to be abusive IN ANY WAY to ANYONE for expressing their views.

And no, not the Salvation Police by any means whatsoever. I have no problem with someone saying they do not believe what I believe, think what I think, etc., no problem whatsoever with that. I just feel everyone can express how they feel in a courteous manner.

Once courtesy is abandoned there seems to be no real discussion or exchange of views.

And no, not an angel by any means! LOL. I use the same userid for everything so I don't get confused! Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Actually baddog1, this is what I have been taught and, yes, what I believe. I find it hard to understand that if one accepts Christ as their Savior (sincerely, honestly, and fully) then they would not lose that.

I accepted Christ as my Saviour sincerely, honestly and fully. Later, I changed and "unaccepted" Christ.

Shortly after I made my official break with Christianity, a friend of mine asked why I "left God".

My reponse was -- "I changed. God doesn't change".

I still think this was a good way to explain it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 01:32 pm
Also, Momma,

I understand what Chai Tea is saying. I made a real decision to "leave" Christianity after spending many years "full commited to Christ".

It seems like you and baddog are making judgements about those of us who have made the decision to leave Christianity. Talking judgementally among yourselves about my decision while I am right here may be considered in poor taste.

For the record, baddog, I have no fearful expectation of the raging fire that will consume the enemies of God, nor has my life been particularly unlivable since I left.
0 Replies