A dog bit me today

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 06:14 pm
Yes it true. I went to give the dogs their flea medication today. I always wrap the pill up in a slice of sandwich meat. First I gave it to little Toby then put one in are larger slice of meat for our larger dog Frankie. Well Toby ate his so fast and when I went to give Frankie his pill little Toby jumped up and tried to eat it. Well Frankie got mad and leaped for the meat and bit my finger! The band aide would stick so I had to wrap it in duct tape.

The tribulations of being a dog owner.

View best answer, chosen by jcboy
joe 2nation
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 06:17 pm
@jcboy,
They should sell the medication baked into a nice chewy cookie of some kind.

Joe(steal this idea)Nation

PS make sure you treat the bite with Neosporin or some other anti-biotic.
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 06:20 pm
@joe 2nation,
They should but they don't, I've always had to sneak it into something they will eat! My finger is fine now but sure hurt like hell for the first hour! Frankie now weights 185 lbs and that sure hurt like hell.
joe 2nation

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 06:44 pm
@jcboy,
When my kids were little we had two boxers and a Doberman .

Duchess the Dobe got two cans of food every morning and tried to convince us she was starving. The nice thing was she ate really fast. She never caught the little pills in that mushy meat.
The boxers, Sophie and Buster, were a lot smarter than Dutch. We had to buy sliced ham to hide the meds.

I'm glad you are okay.

Joe(we were vegetarians, so. )Nation
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 07:56 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Frankie now weights 185 lbs and that sure hurt like hell.

185 lbs!! What the hell kind of dog is he? Sounds more like a horse, lol.
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 08:10 pm
@Mame,
I goofed there, he once weighed 110 but he’s old now about 185 now.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 08:38 pm
He never should have had that dirty martini, 🙄
0 Replies

joe 2nation

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 07:07 am
@jcboy,
Big dog. 185 pounds, wow.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 07:42 am
@joe 2nation,
I couldn't type with my finger taped up, he used to weigh 105 until he got COVID and lost 20lbs, he's 85lbs now Razz
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 08:00 am
@jcboy,
This big goof ball.

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/f_18.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 10:21 am
@jcboy,
I didn’t know that dogs can get COVID.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 10:25 am
@Ragman,
Yeah I didn't either, he was sick for a month when I first got it in August, he lost 20lbs and he aged. I think it took a couple years off his life.

Risk of the virus that causes COVID-19 spreading between pets and people
Ragman

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 10:29 am
@jcboy,
Sounds like the same was true for you, too. Glad to see things straightened out for you both.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 11:25 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Yes it true. I went to give the dogs their flea medication today. I always wrap the pill up in a slice of sandwich meat. First I gave it to little Toby then put one in are larger slice of meat for our larger dog Frankie. Well Toby ate his so fast and when I went to give Frankie his pill little Toby jumped up and tried to eat it. Well Frankie got mad and leaped for the meat and bit my finger! The band aide would stick so I had to wrap it in duct tape.

The tribulations of being a dog owner.

Now, with every full moon, you will transform into a wereFrankie.
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 03:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Now, with every full moon, you will transform into a wereFrankie.

You know a few years back Frankie had four tumors removed and had stitches, I called him Frankenstein. Razz
jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 03:20 pm
@joe 2nation,
joe 2nation wrote:

They should sell the medication baked into a nice chewy cookie of some kind.

Joe(steal this idea)Nation

PS make sure you treat the bite with Neosporin or some other anti-biotic.

You know when one of the dogs was on an antibiotic I used to had the pill in a pill popper, it was basically this small peanut butter tasting ball with a hole in the middle, you put the pill in the hole and squeeze it, well that dog knew every time I hid the pill there and would eat around it and leave the pill on the floor! Confused
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2023 02:26 am
@jcboy,
I could not get one of our cats to take any medication at all.

In the end we used a flea treatment that you applied at the back of the neck and leave it at that.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2023 01:14 pm
@jcboy,
I had a Springer Spaniel who was a genius at spitting out pills. I finally solved the problem by taking 3 or 4 of those peanut butter flavored balls, put the pill in one ball, squeeze all the balls a little flat, feed the first 2 balls to dog quickly, then the pill ball and finally the last ball. The dog can see there are multiple balls and gets excited about the rapid delivery so they swallow all of them quickly and 'VOILA' pill inserted properly and no spitting them out.
jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 10:53 am
@glitterbag,
Cats are even worse Confused

I have to give them the medication every 30 days, it's for fleas and heart worm but they have to have it.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 04:59 pm
@jcboy,
Er, Frankenstein is not the name of the monster, but of the scientist who created him...