What did GM do to Saab?

owl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:48 pm
I've been buying used Saabs for many years but my present one will be the last. The reason is the massive changes and cost reductions that GM has done to Saab. These include turning the engine 90 degrees, replacing the high speed front hinged hood with the typical Detroit design, replacing the hydraulic clutch with a cable one, making the emergency brake cable impossible to adjust. eliminating the factory manual. in general Detroit has destroyed a good car and alienated a strong base of owners.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,380 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:57 pm
well yeah, progress is profit determined, I used to love my saabs, today I wouldn't touch one. I had 2 model 96's and 2 model 97's and a Monte Carlo.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 12:57 pm
I think Saabs these days are built around GM Europe Opel underpinnings (floor,bulkhead,motor,trans etc) Even some parts are interchangeable

The Opel is a decent enough car,but not the solid bruiser that Saab owners are used to.

You would have thought that GM would have at leist have kept the little Saab quirks.

Suppose the next thing they will just throw a Saab emblem at Opels and sale them through Saab dealers
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
GM changes it politics quite often.#

Btw: since the early 90's (I think, exactly since 1990), Saab belongs to the GM-family (before, it was associated with Fiat).
0 Replies

owl

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:50 am
The sad thing is the downhill slide in quality while in Japan the cars get better and better. I guess thats why GM & Ford have dropped to Junk Bond status.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:48 pm
I'd dump it and find a nice used V-4 96 or better yet a Sonnet.
0 Replies

fbbassett

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
The Saab 9000 shared a platform with a Lancia (the Theta, I think) and a Fiat, but that is the only association with Fiat that I am aware of.

Having had far more Saabs than I am willing to admit to, I have to say the model 99 was still a great car, if you got the 2.0L and used the '78 & later tranny. The 900 was also a great car even after '87 when (I've been told) GM bought into Saab. My '85 Turbo has 200,000+ miles and I'm still revelling in the acceleration. The next generation 900 ('94 & later) was a lot of things, but it just wasn't the same old Saab. They even locked out the Turbo in first so that the tranny they were using would last.

Older Saabs make a lot of sense when you have to work on them, but I would never recommend one to someone who didn't do their own mechanical work. But I love 'em.
0 Replies