I wanted a good Christmas for my son , but did my wife ruin it , or did I?

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 04:24 am
So this Christmas my wife and I had got in an argument a few days prior. She was at her parents house with our son and I was at our condo about 50 miles away . The plan was to meet at the condo Christmas eve and wake up for Christmas all together etc. So she shows up Xmas eve and we put presents out and everything and she is still holding on to the argument we had days prior . So she is just being mean and standoffish and our son is in bed and we finally fall asleep . About 530am comes around and our son wakes us up and wants to open presents . This is where it gets interesting . So we get up and we go out to the living room and get ready to open presents when my wife says all of a sudden that she needs to go check out of a hotel she had rented the night before when she got to town because she got it incase we got into and argument and she needed a place to go . Dumbfounded I was like um ok and she just left . Well my son sitting there wanting to open presents I didn't stop him and we had a great time so about an hour later she comes back and he's still opening presents but almost done she loses her mind on me because I let him open presents without her there .mind u I didn't know she was gunna just up and leave after he woke us up to open them she just randomly left so I get blamed for ruining her Xmas and her not getting to spend that time with him also .so I guess the question is who is in the right and who is in the wrong I mean it's about my sons enjoyment and satisfaction and his memories and I let him do what he wanted so is it my fault I let him proceed without her and she has a right to blame me or is that on her for just leaving knowing he wanted to open presents and she still left im stumped on this one becauee this is an ongoing big issue with her that she says she is never gunna forgive me for and that she doesn't have any trust or respect for me any more because of this incident I am blown away by her blammimg me for something she choose to do and yet blames me ? So any feed back woukd be great and don't hold back I want to know all opinions on this please and thank you

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:30 am
@Itrymybest84,
Who the hell gets a hotel room (they're not cheap) "just in case" there's an argument? Unless the two of you are separated and keeping up appearances for your son(don't), then that's about the lamest excuse I have ever seen for leaving to meet a paramour.

Because if she was gone over an hour, then that's highly likely to be what she did.

Oh, and she can call any hotel in the US or Canada and probably in much of the world, and ask for late checkout. And if she had no luggage, then she can check out over the phone and even by app in a lot of places.

Her story doesn't pass the sniff test. It doesn't even come close.

So, if I'm right, then she's also accusing you in an effort to deflect attention from her own actions.

As for who is right about your son, I have no idea. I have no kids and don't celebrate Xmas, so the obsession with making those days memorable and perfect and straight out of Currier & Ives or Disney is utterly lost to me.

But I do know that if he's under 18 (and it sounds like he's under 8), then he shouldn't be privy to your problems but you shouldn't deny them, either. If you're an inch from divorce, don't pretend that everything is hunky dory. All that will do is blindside him when you do end your marriage.

Staying together for his sake, if you are, imparts a lesson that love is meaningless and commitment to a spouse is unimportant in the face of lying to a child.

You don't want to be imparting such a lesson to your child.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:52 am
I find it strange that she leaves when your son wants to open his presents. Couldn't she have waited half an hour? What was so urgent about it that she just took off like that? Check out time is usually 11:00 so she had plenty of time.

I don't think you two are well-suited.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 12:14 pm
I agree with both of you but what I want to know is how many presents did the boy get that he was still unwrapping them an hour later Razz

They usually tear open all of them in five minutes!
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 06:25 pm
@jcboy,
Right! I was always upset when you spent hours wrapping gifts and then
they tear into it and get all presents out in 5 minutes.

If your wife indeed had booked a hotel room she could have called them to cancel and you usually don't do this in the morning either. Something is very fishy and she wanted to get out of the house for some reason, but it wasn't the one she told you.

To come back and make you feel guilty is probably part of the game so you don't question her motives. If my spouse would leave on Xmas morning to supposedly cancel a hotel room, I'd tell him to stay there and don't come back.

Are you really that naive?
Mame

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2023 07:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
I thought it was very weird - getting up to watch the kid open presents then suddenly bolt out at 5:30 a.m. to 'cancel a hotel reservation' that apparently had to be done a) in person, and b) at that moment. And yes, you're right - we all know a good defence is a good offense.
0 Replies