A question regarding articles

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 12:21 am
Hello!
I have a question regarding which article I should use in this sentence:
"The difference can be demonstrated by an/the example of ... city."
It is the first time I am talking about a certain city, and I know from the rules that you use an indefinite article when you talk about something for the first time. But since it is something particular - a specific city, which article should I use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,401 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hightor

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 06:43 am
@barbarian1,
Use "the" in this case.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:04 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Use "the" in this case.

The unnecessary use of the indefinite article bothers me more than it should. The New York Times is my newspaper of choice, but they regularly use "the" where it is not necessary or even useful.
Mame

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Actually, I have been finding journalism grammar becoming more and more deplorable over the years. I realize language is ever-evolving, but mixing up "composed of" wth "comprised of" in a newspaper is one example that grates on my nerves. Perhaps they all use Grammarly or some such and forgo editors these days.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:26 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Actually, I have been finding journalism grammar becoming more and more deplorable over the years. I realize language is ever-evolving, but mixing up "composed of" wth "comprised of" in a newspaper is one example that grates on my nerves. Perhaps they all use Grammarly or some such and forgo editors these days.

In one of my other forums, I found a comment from one poster that went, "Me and her went to a movie instead."

Wow!

It appears as though "Me and her..." and "Me and him..." have become a go-to form.

It grates on me, probably more than it should.
Mame

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2022 09:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Ah... I hear that all the time, even from people with English degrees. Drives me nuts, too. I always want to correct this one friend (who worked in a library with me, of all places), but have learned people don't care. Ah well, bigger things to worry about.
0 Replies