Storing Tea Bags

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:55 pm
Real, Sophisticated Tea Drinkers brew the cup that cheers from loose tea, stored in an air tight tea caddy.

I'm a tea bag person, myself, but it seems to me that storing tea bags--even individually wrapped-in-paper tea bags in an kitchen cupboard allows the essence of the tea to dissipate.

Is my hunch correct? Isn't a plastic baggy better for preserving flavor and taste than a paper wrapper?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,155 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:41 pm
Yes. Always keep those tea bags in air tight, plastic sealed bags. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:58 pm
We use an empty teatin to store our teabags. Only it's full coz its got teabags in it.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 07:31 pm
We don't worry about storing teabags at my house. We love tea, but buy it in small quantities so it stays "fresh." This purchasing method is a bit more expensive than buying in bulk, but good things sometimes do come in small packages.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 07:52 pm
Since I usually have 3 or 4 types of tea each day, storage is always an issue. I keep some tea in mason jars in the cupboard, others in translucent containers that can be sealed and left out on the counter. The essential oils in the tea are quite fragile, and I notice quite a difference if the leaves are allowed to get stale. Too much exposure to light and air is not nice to tea.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 09:20 pm
I would think a cookie tin would be the best, next to a plastic baggie.

Tea goes fast in my house too, so it's not an issue.

Someone gave Rae a tin of Twinings of London "My Personal Selection" assorted 60 sachets for Christmas. It contains English Breakfast, Jasmine, Lady Grey, Ceylon Orange Pekoe, Earl Grey, and Lemon Scented.

Awesome! And the best of all, we get to keep the tin to store our teabags!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 09:30 pm
I carry a tea supply with me to work in an emptied almond tin. Seems to work well, except that I have mixed bags in there and the unwrapped one start smelling the same. At home I try to store the teas I use more slowly in tins or baggies, but my 'filing system' is lacking.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 12:15 am
Everyone here seems to have covered all the bases I was headed for. I'm a coffee drinker myself. but my mother drinks tea and stores her tea bags in a sealed blue glass container.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:56 pm
Thanks, all. Great minds tend to run in the same direction--although not in the same insipid ruts.
0 Replies