Number of Members Over Time

gollum

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 09:25 am
I read that the number of members of the U.S. House of Representatives was set at 435 in 1913 and has remained at that number ever since.

That said, Alaska and Hawaii joined the U.S. in 1959. Didn't that change the number of representatives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 231 • Replies: 2
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 10:03 am
@gollum,
You have your answer literally in front of you. And the wheres of the congressional representatives go where the Census tells them to go. The seats are proportioned accordingly out by a state's respective population in comparison to other states.

Idiots who don't take the decade census end up screwing their respective state. NY state lost a congressional seat because 8 fuckers (the number I think I remember published) chose not to participate in the recent census.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 04:00 pm
There is a Constitutional amendment out there awaiting ratification that would guarantee one representative for every so many people.

It would require expanding the House to more than 5000 members based on current US population if I remember correctly.

It's the only part of the US Bill of Rights that has (so far) never made it into law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Apportionment_Amendment

I actually like the idea of ratifying it.

It would certainly require some changes to be made. You're never going to fit that many people into the House chamber.

But members could be allowed to vote electronically (maybe even remotely from their home district). And it would make an individual congressman both less powerful and closer to his or her constituents.
0 Replies