Files Under Different Versions of Windows

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 02:48 pm
If I copy text files and photographs from a PC running Windows 7 with a 5 year old drive onto a flash drive and then replace the PC's drive with a modern one and upgrade the PC to Windows 11, will I be able to copy the files back or will they be incompatible?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,326 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Oct, 2022 06:09 pm
I would think the files would be compatible, so long as you installed the correct software for reading those files.

Last I knew though, Windows 11 will only run on pretty modern CPUs. Windows 11 may not be compatible with your old hardware unless you also upgrade your CPU (which means also upgrading your motherboard and RAM).

PC World Magazine wrote:
At the moment, Intel processors compatible with Windows 11 date back to mid-2017 and no earlier. Think 8th-generation CPUs and beyond.
PC World Magazine wrote:
Currently, AMD processors approved for Windows 11 date back to 2018. For the most part, that covers 2nd gen Ryzen (Zen+) CPUs and beyond.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/394793/what-cpus-can-run-windows-11.html

Some people have developed tricks for installing Windows 11 on older hardware. But if such a system is ever in need of serious tech support from Microsoft, they will probably refuse to help because it is not running on a "supported" platform.

You can probably get a reasonably affordable motherboard/CPU/RAM combination that would be a nice boost for your computer. This may be an opportunity for a more extensive upgrade.

If you aren't using the computer for gaming, you won't need more than a 12th generation Core i3. With modern Intel generations, Core i5 and higher is overkill in a non-gaming computer.

The AMD Ryzen 5 5600X would be a good top option for a non-gaming computer. It offers amazing performance for its reasonably low heat output.
Brandon9000

Wed 26 Oct, 2022 08:53 am
@oralloy,
Thank you. I only wanted to know if files saved on a flash drive from a Windows 7 machine can be copied onto a Windows 11 machine (and remain intact).

I had no idea you were back, but I'm happy to see that you are.
0 Replies

engineer

Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:03 am
@Brandon9000,
The trick is likely not the operating system, it is the software. Things like text files and pictures will transfer fine as those formats haven't changed. Word documents will likely be in an older format, but a new version of Word should read them without issue.
McGentrix

Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:08 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

If I copy text files and photographs from a PC running Windows 7 with a 5 year old drive onto a flash drive and then replace the PC's drive with a modern one and upgrade the PC to Windows 11, will I be able to copy the files back or will they be incompatible?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Yes.

Text files and photographs are OS agnostic. It is all based on the extension (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .txt, etc) and even then you can get the software to open antique extensions.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Wed 26 Oct, 2022 02:31 pm
@engineer,
Thanks. I was just afraid that the file system itself might have changed.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 26 Oct, 2022 03:39 pm
The file system is probably FAT32 which was developed for use way, way back with Windows95, and is still being used for flash drives.
Brandon9000

Thu 27 Oct, 2022 06:15 am
@InfraBlue,
Thanks.
0 Replies