Brittney Griner

gollum

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2022 07:16 pm
When she played basketball in official competitions in the United States, did she turn her back when the United States National Anthem was played?

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 04:58 am
@gollum,
Why, exactly (beyond morbid curiosity) does that matter? It doesn't make it okay that she's already been detained in Russia for a ridiculously long amount of time.
gollum

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 06:07 am
@jespah,
jespah-

I don't think that morbidity is relevant.

When she was a basketball star in the U.S. (and in Russia), I heard that she used her fame to disrespect the United States. Perhaps Putin was taking notes.

Then she started working in Russia. As far as I know, she did not disrespect Russia.

Now she wants the U.S. government's help to get out of Russia. That is difficult to impossible for the U.S. to do. But we are trying.

It's not only Russia that's to blame. It is Griner if she disrespected the U.S. And Gringer for working in Russia.

So I asked able2know whether she did turn her back on the U.S. and now asks for our help.
engineer

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2022 09:54 am
@gollum,
Turning your back during the national anthem (if she did that as I have no idea) is not disrespecting the United States, it is using First Amendment privileges to make a political statement. Rather than address the statement, those who disagree will try to paint the protester as unpatriotic to silence them.
0 Replies