What new word did you learn recently?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 07:49 pm
You weren't around on the old Abuzz, Reyn. Osso will regale you with tales of her visits to Italy. And damn' fine tales they are, too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:23 pm
Getting a little overtold, I must say myself...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
ossobuco wrote:
No, I'm something like 15/16th irish by heritage, the other 1/16th being welsh. I just am interested in much in and about italy.

15/16th? How the heck can you measure that? Laughing

Anyways, it's good to have someone who knows so much on Italy on A2K!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:06 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Getting a little overtold, I must say myself...

No, I don't mind! Regale away. Those that have heard it before can always move on to a different topic. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 09:49 pm
measure that? looking at what was told to me about parents and their parents and a tad about those parents' parents.

I am non geneologically inclined, myself, past the relatively immediate folks. (They're bad enough...)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 06:08 pm
eponym

-- 1 : one for whom or which something is or is believed to be named
2 : a name (as of a drug or a disease) based on or derived from an eponym
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:14 pm
columbine

-- any of a genus (Aquilegia) of plants of the buttercup family with irregular showy spurred flowers: as a : a red-flowered plant (A. canadensis) of eastern No. America b : a blue-flowered plant (A. caerulea) of the Rocky Mountains
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 05:36 pm
tautology

This is another word I've assumed I know the meaning of and it turns out that's true, I did know the first meaning, but today I actually looked it up -

from the American Heritage Dictionary:
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. tau·tol·o·gies

1a. Needless repetition of the same sense in different words; redundancy. 1b. An instance of such repetition.

2. Logic - An empty or vacuous statement composed of simpler statements in a fashion that makes it logically true whether the simpler statements are factually true or false; for example, the statement "Either it will rain tomorrow or it will not rain tomorrow."
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:08 am
diurnal

-- 1 a : recurring every day <diurnal tasks> b : having a daily cycle <diurnal tides>
2 a : of, relating to, or occurring in the daytime <the city's diurnal noises> b : active chiefly in the daytime <diurnal animals> c : opening during the day and closing at night <diurnal flowers>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:47 am
Yup. Diurnal is the opposite of nocturnal.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 09:23 am
Thanks! Makes sense. I've never seen the other word used before.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 11:55 am
Banana

A fruit.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:06 pm
annifa wrote:
Banana

A fruit.

Let's be precise with our definitions, shall we. "A yellow-skinned edible fruit indigenous in certain tropical and sub-tropical venues." There. Now I feel better.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
panoply

-- 1 a : a full suit of armor b : ceremonial attire
2 : something forming a protective covering
3 a : a magnificent or impressive array <the full panoply of a military funeral> b : a display of all appropriate appurtenances <has the panoply of science fiction... but it is not true science fiction -- Isaac Asimov>

Thanks to Bob for using it! :wink:
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:07 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
annifa wrote:
Banana

A fruit.

Let's be precise with our definitions, shall we. "A yellow-skinned edible fruit indigenous in certain tropical and sub-tropical venues." There. Now I feel better.

and monkeys eat 'em
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:13 pm
annifa wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
annifa wrote:
Banana

A fruit.

and monkeys eat 'em

Too much information now.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:17 pm
Reyn wrote:
panoply

-- 1 a : a full suit of armor b : ceremonial attire
2 : something forming a protective covering
3 a : a magnificent or impressive array <the full panoply of a military funeral> b : a display of all appropriate appurtenances <has the panoply of science fiction... but it is not true science fiction -- Isaac Asimov>

Thanks to Bob for using it! :wink:

Definition #3 -- "a display of all appropriate appurtenances" -- is the one you'll most commonly run across these days. Def. #1 is so rare you won't encounter it anywhere except, perhaps, some historical fiction. There's a panoply of perfectly predictable, yet potent, posts on this thread.

(Now if only someone would give us a definition of "alliteration.")
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:20 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
appurtenances

Oh sure, make me work on a Saturday! Laughing

appurtenance

-- 1 : an incidental right (as a right-of-way) attached to a principal property right and passing in possession with it
2 : a subordinate part or adjunct <the appurtenance of welcome is fashion and ceremony -- Shakespeare>
3 plural : accessory objects : APPARATUS
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:23 pm
alliteration

Repetition of consonant sounds in two or more neighbouring words or syllables.

or head rhyme A frequently used poetic device, it is often discussed with assonance (the repetition of stressed vowel sounds within two or more words with different end consonants) and consonance (the repetition of end or medial consonants).
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:25 pm
Ha! Finally, one that I already knew!
0 Replies