What new word did you learn recently?

Reyn

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 10:25 pm
Psionics is a term used to describe the practice of using a variety of 'psychic abilities'. Theories on how these abilities work vary greatly, but one of the more common ones involves the manipulation of an unknown energy type known as psi energy. However, it really depends on the community or school of thought. Some would consider the manipulation of any energy type psionics. Some do not even recognize the need for the manipulation of energy.

If one is truly interested in psionics, either scientifically or to train, it would be important for them to visit several links in the External Links section, to obtain different viewpoints and get a broad scope on what psionics is. Psionics is a very controversal topic, so a broad understanding of the different viewpoints could only be beneficial.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
(Thanks to yitwail for this one)

solipsist

- A solipsist is one who adheres to the belief that self is the only thing that is real, and can be verified.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:01 pm
flagitious = deeply criminal, heinous

(i hope i won't greet some of my poolmates with that word tomorrow morning; they might drown me)
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:58 am
I was watching "Federal Court" on Moscow Channel One last night. At the beginning of the show you briefly see a file with the picture of the accused and the pertinent information - all in Russian, of course. In big letters across the top it says "дело", which according to my talking dictionary means "matter, situation or case".

The talking dictionary pronounces it about halfway between "Della" (Perry Mason's secretary, which makes the word easy to remember) and "dilla".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 06:32 pm
homograph

One of two or more words that have the same spelling but differ in origin, meaning, and sometimes pronunciation, such as fair (pleasing in appearance) and fair (market) or wind (wĭnd) and wind (wīnd).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 06:55 pm
facile ~ : readily manifested and often lacking sincerity or depth <facile tears>
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 03:15 am
subsume: To classify, include, or incorporate in a more comprehensive category or under a general principle
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
Green Witch wrote:
Chimera - old meaning: Mythical Greek fire-breathing monster that ihas the head of a lion, body of a goat and a serpents tail.

Genetic chimeras: Genetically created animals that are part human. One example being pigs that have human blood in their bodies instead of pig blood. These part animal part humans are created for medical research and I just heard about their existence today on NPR.

and there's a new medical disovery of human chimera's where one person contains 2 completely different sets of DNA. It happens when 2 eggs fuse at a very early stage and develop into a single embryo.

2 women had both been told that their children could not possibly be their own as the DNA made it totally impossible. Further testing revealed different DNA in different parts of their bodies. One baby with the condition had clearly defined lines of colour change in his skin, where the DNA changes occurred - almost chequerboard.

[URL=link to story]http://www.five.tv/programmes/extraordinarypeople/twininside/[/URL]
0 Replies

chocholic99

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 02:42 pm
@sculptin,
Correction, it is the fear of being beaten with rods or sticks.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Rhabdophobia?s=t
Strauss

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 02:51 pm
@chocholic99,
You certainly noticed that you are replying to something that poster wrote seven years ago..

Btw, are you addicted to that indigenous people of Mexico, the Chocho?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:31 pm
Wow, I'd forgotten about this thread that I started so many years ago! I'll have to add some more words to it! Surprised
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 06:34 pm
@Reyn,
I learned one this week but forgot it already.
Reyn

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 04:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, yes, senior moments. We all get them eventually. Wink
Rockhead

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 04:27 pm
@chocholic99,
that just sounds like common sense to me...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 04:43 pm
@Reyn,
If only I could learn to underline in books (aaaack) or turn corners.
Too bad, it was a good one - I'm sure I've never seen it before, and I've seen a lot of words.
0 Replies