What new word did you learn recently?

kickycan

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:33 pm
Melosporosity--the ability to hold out for over an hour before having an orgasm.

Okay, I admit it, I made that up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:35 pm
hey, look at me. Im the farmer here. I learned the word from some Maine hay farmers who tried growing birdsfoot trefoil and had zip luck with it. Apparently it never dries up here in MAine, and moldy hay give your cattle the runs and can make them crazy if they get ergot
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:38 pm
ERGOT-a really nasty fungus growth on cereal grains and some grasses that can cause gangrene , brain lesions , and really nasty breath
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:45 pm
The symptoms of ergot poisoning (seizures, hallucinations) were thought to be that of demonic possession in the "olden days" and could lead to sufferer being hanged or burned as a witch. The afflicted girls of the Salem Witch Trials were thought to suffer from ergot poisoning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
If we're doing made-up words, I came up with "screamish" the other day while I was doing yard work. I was on high alert for poison ivy and generally a little jumpy, and when I saw a great big spider crawling up my arm (still don't know what kind it was, it wasn't all-legs-big like a daddy longlegs, its body was huge) I simultaneously actually screamed and flicked it off. Said aloud to myself, "Damn, you're screamish today." (Squeamish + scream.)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
Hmmm, why do I have the feeling I've been "had" here? It's very well done though. My hat (if I was wearing one) is off to youse guys! Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:50 pm
arachnophobia irrational fear of spiders
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 10:04 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
arachnophobia irrational fear of spiders

Now this one I know! Know any other good "'phobia" type words?
0 Replies

sculptin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:20 am
Rhabdophobia

Fear of being eaten

Although that sounds like good ole common sense to me, rather than a phobia!
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:33 am
Some time ago there was a thread on phobias on this site. Somebody -- as in, yours truly -- posted a link to a list of some 100 or more phobia names. But now I can't find the link; I'll keep looking.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 01:47 am
Here ya' go --

http://www.phobialist.com/index.html
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 02:05 am
Zetara(dont know about spelling)means driftwood in Spanish(I think)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:21 am
Merry Andrew wrote:

Great list! Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:27 pm
meretricious

-- 1 : of or relating to a prostitute : having the nature of prostitution <meretricious relationship>
2 a : tawdrily and falsely attractive <the paradise they found was a piece of meretricious trash -- Carolyn See> b : superficially significant
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:33 pm
I did learn a new one recently, but I'll have to try and remember what it was. Due to my age and past good fortune to have read a great lot of material I don't very often run across words that are completely new to me, unless they are in a different language than english or are scientific words I am not familiar with. I'll be back if I remember it..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:38 pm
On reading over this thread, I see I am now suffering from LETHOLOGICA.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:39 pm
Skillygalee A thin, watery gruel made of oatmeal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:40 pm
oooooooh, which syllable gets the accent on that one?
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:43 pm
Sartorial-clothes relating to tailoring or clothing in general
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 03:45 pm
ossobuco wrote:
oooooooh, which syllable gets the accent on that one?

Not sure, Osso. No phonetic hints were given at the site where I found this one.
0 Replies