What new word did you learn recently?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
Of the recent words, I'll admit crackberry is entirely new to me. On the other hand, I don't take it immediately as a serious word.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:46 pm
Far as I know, Reyn, yes, the iPod was the first. Sometimes I feel I must be the only person in North America who doesn't own one. I'm probably also the only person who doesn't know, in any serious degree, what a blackberry is and what it does. I'm sure I don't need one, whatever it is. Palm-pilot -- same thing. I had a cell phone for a while. But as I got virtually no use out of it, I gave it up.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:02 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Far as I know, Reyn, yes, the iPod was the first. Sometimes I feel I must be the only person in North America who doesn't own one. I'm probably also the only person who doesn't know, in any serious degree, what a blackberry is and what it does. I'm sure I don't need one, whatever it is. Palm-pilot -- same thing. I had a cell phone for a while. But as I got virtually no use out of it, I gave it up.

Sorry, but you must share that with me, as I also do not own any of those items that you mention.

I don't like music coming out of headphones, and I'm not a huge fan of music anyways. I can stand to go out without having something to listen to for 5 minutes.

I believe a blackberry is a device by which you can access the internet remotely. Email, etc. Haven't a clue as to how it works.

Palm pilot, same thing.

Cell phone. I'm not so paranoid as to missing calls. That's what our answering machine at home is for. I hate phones at best.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:29 pm
diaeresis

-- 1 : a mark ¨ placed over a vowel to indicate that the vowel is pronounced in a separate syllable (as in naïve or Brontë) -- compare UMLAUT
2 : the break in a verse caused by the coincidence of the end of a foot with the end of a word
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:40 pm
defenestration~a throwing of a person or thing out of a window

I am listening to an audiobook right now by Dominick Dunne. It's called Justice. In it he said the two Woodward brothers died of defenestration.

I, of course, had to look it up.
0 Replies

skartykn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:07 am
i have subscribed for "a word a day" and the word i learnt today is

verso (VUR-so) noun

1. A left-hand page.

2. The back of a page.

[Short for Latin verso folio, from verso (turned) and folio (leaf).
From versus (turning), from vertere (to turn). Ultimately from the Indo-European root wer- (to turn or bend), also the source of wring, weird, writhe, worth, revert, and universe.]

The counterpart of this word is recto, the right-hand page.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:27 am
Hello and welcome to A2K, skartykn! Thanks for participating in this thread. Very Happy
0 Replies

skartykn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
thanks for ur welcome reyn!!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:08 am
I just found out that a sottise is a stupid or blundering act.

Its amazing how you can go so long doing something without knowing the proper word for it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 07:24 pm
sublime1 wrote:
Its amazing how you can go so long doing something without knowing the proper word for it.

Yes! It's very much a deja vu feeling, isn't it? Laughing
0 Replies

skartykn

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:15 pm
epos (EP-os) noun

1. An epic.

2. A number of poems, not formally united or transmitted orally, that treat an epic theme.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:07 pm
lacrymose

-- 1 : given to tears or weeping : TEARFUL
2 : tending to cause tears : MOURNFUL
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:25 pm
KWANZAA
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:33 pm
OK. I'm writing a rather weighty (for me) essay--and I don't know if you can say "literary efficacy."

Can you?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:34 pm
taht's easy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:36 pm
very funny, from the guy who can't say 'that'.

<hee>
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:38 pm
Quote:
just words that evinced a commanding literary efficacy, a perfect emotional pitch tuned to the core of his characters' lives
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:34 am
Hey, thanks husker!
0 Replies

skartykn

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:20 pm
curlicue or curlycue (KUR-li-kyoo) noun

A decorative curl or twist, in a signature, calligraphy, etc.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:35 am
perdition

1 a. Loss of the soul; eternal damnation.
b. Hell: "Him the Almighty Power/Hurl'd headlong . . . /To bottomless perdition, there to dwell" (John Milton).

2 Archaic. Utter ruin.
0 Replies