How do you think?

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 04:07 am
How do you think? (In Pictures) (In Words)??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,283 • Replies: 3
No top replies

centrox

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 10:33 am
It seems to me that I don't think either in words or pictures. I just think. It feels as if thoughts appear fully formed in my mind. For example, I am leaving for work in the morning. I look at my watch which says 7:05. My bus leaves the bus station at 7:41. It takes me 25 minutes to walk there. I want to go in the supermarket opposite the bus station and get a newspaper and a Kit-Kat to eat on the bus. I know it takes between 2 and 3 minutes to complete the purchases and I must be in the bus station at least 2 minutes before the bus leaves. It takes between 1 and 2 minutes to get from the supermarket to inside the bus station at the correct departure bay. Therefore to avoid hurrying I must leave my house in the next 4 minutes. This whole train of thought will pass through my mind without any "words" or "pictures" or indeed "numbers" being involved. It seems to take no time. If someone said "What are you thinking about?" I might express it in words. Again, I might think that I would like pasta tonight without think either of the word "pasta" or imagining visually a plate of the stuff. Mental arithmetic likewise. Did you mean this kind of thinking?

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 09:13 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

It seems to me that I don't think either in words or pictures. I just think. It feels as if thoughts appear fully formed in my mind. For example, I am leaving for work in the morning. I look at my watch which says 7:05. My bus leaves the bus station at 7:41. It takes me 25 minutes to walk there. I want to go in the supermarket opposite the bus station and get a newspaper and a Kit-Kat to eat on the bus. I know it takes between 2 and 3 minutes to complete the purchases and I must be in the bus station at least 2 minutes before the bus leaves. It takes between 1 and 2 minutes to get from the supermarket to inside the bus station at the correct departure bay. Therefore to avoid hurrying I must leave my house in the next 4 minutes. This whole train of thought will pass through my mind without any "words" or "pictures" or indeed "numbers" being involved. It seems to take no time. If someone said, "What are you thinking about?" I might express it in words. Again, I might think that I would like pasta tonight without think either of the word "pasta" or imagining visually a plate of the stuff. Mental arithmetic likewise. Did you mean this kind of thinking?
quote]
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Interesting! I thought all people thought like I do namely in word formed in my brain, as I type this on each completed word it immediately becomes the same as expressing it will my voice box except it is silent and somewhere in the neurons of my brain. Richard Dawkins calls it "memes" and I "think" that is a good word to describe thinking?
centrox

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 09:31 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Interesting! I thought all people thought like I do namely in word formed in my brain, as I type this on each completed word it immediately becomes the same as expressing it will my voice box except it is silent and somewhere in the neurons of my brain. Richard Dawkins calls it "memes" and I "think" that is a good word to describe thinking?

When I think of a concrete object, I think wordlessly, and then, if I want to describe the thing, I hunt about until I find the exact words that seem to fit it. It is interesting to me that more than one of the people I find most difficult to see eye-to-eye with philosophically/epistemologically have told me the exact opposite: That for them, a thought is not concrete until it has a word.

0 Replies