Rare/One of a kind Carl Zeller painting - Looking to appraise/sell

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2022 04:27 pm
Hello,

I have a unique and I believe one of a kind painting by the artist Carl Zeller that I wish to appraise or sell. I hate to do it but I’ve fallen on hard times financially and I have no idea where to begin with finding out its worth/an art dealer to sell it to.

The story behind it is this: My Grandmother used to work for him as a book keeper, when he heard my mother was pregnant he gave her a painting of a young boy standing by a fence (meant to be me, I suppose). I understand that he rarely painted people and did mostly landscapes and I’ve yet to find any copies of this painting online.

If anyone has any interest or information on someone who specializes in the work of this artist, please respond. I’ll try to post or provide a photo. Thank you all in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,163 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2022 11:47 am
@QiaoZiJian,
The art market is very secretive.

In order to get details of how much things went for auction you need to be a member of a trade website.

It costs a huge amount of money to join, it's just not worth it for one or two paintings.

Having said that I googled the name and found one of his paintings for sale on ebay for US$500.

That is whst domeone is selling one for, it may have just gone on the market, or it may have been there for some time.

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
jcboy

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2022 12:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

That sounds about right Izzy, the most expensive painting I found by Carl Zeller was listed for 795.00, US Dollars, not quid Razz
mesquite

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2022 02:48 pm
@jcboy,
deannday4 wrote:

Hi Nikki,
I own a Carl Zeller painting and I have an original pamphlet that came with the painting and here is what it said about the artist.

Carl Zeller was received in Colorado and received his formal training at The Denver Art Institute. His early tears as an artist were spent traveling throughout the United States. At the Chicago World's Fair, he won the title of The World's Fastest Artist. Hw was one of three artists selected to renovate the paintings fo Charles Russell in Montana which had been damaged by a severe earthquake. During the forties, he began performing in theatres with various screen actors on their personal appearance tours. He also demonstrated for the Armed Forces, hospitals, schools and the U.S.O. Mr. Zeller has had many one man shows and has received over one hundred awards. His paintings are in private collections throughout the United States, Canada and nine European countries.
At the time the pamphlet was printed it said he resided in La Mirada, CA and devoted his time to teaching, painting and demonstrating.

The address of the studio was:

Carl Zeller's Studio
15573 Ashgrove Drive
La Mirada, CA 90638

I hope this helps!

According to this A2K post, Carl Zeller was known for his speed painting. My knowledge of the art world is limited so I don,t know if that info would increase or decrease the value of his paintings.

https://able2know.org/topic/386357-1#post-6795982
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2022 07:36 pm
They're actually worth more, if not a lot, as Carl Zellers.
0 Replies