RIP Vin Scully, 94...

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2022 02:57 pm
Quote:
Vin Scully, iconic LA Dodgers broadcaster, dies at age 94

Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully, whose dulcet tones provided the soundtrack of summer while entertaining and informing Dodgers fans in Brooklyn and Los Angeles for 67 years, died Tuesday night, the team said. He was 94.

"We have lost an icon," Dodgers president and CEO Stan Kasten said in a statement. "Vin Scully was one of the greatest voices in all of sports. He was a giant of a man, not only as a broadcaster, but as a humanitarian. He loved people. He loved life. He loved baseball and the Dodgers. And he loved his family. His voice will always be heard and etched in all of our minds forever. I know he was looking forward to joining the love of his life, Sandi. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family during this very difficult time. Vin will be truly missed."

Scully died at his home in the Hidden Hills section of Los Angeles, according to the team, which spoke to family members. No cause of death was provided.

"Today we mourn the loss of a legend in our game," Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "Vin was an extraordinary man whose gift for broadcasting brought joy to generations of Dodger fans. In addition, his voice played a memorable role in some of the greatest moments in the history of our sport. I am proud that Vin was synonymous with Baseball because he embodied the very best of our National Pastime. As great as he was as a broadcaster, he was equally great as a person.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I extend my deepest condolences to Vin's family, friends, Dodger fans and his admirers everywhere."

As the longest-tenured broadcaster with a single team in pro sports history, Scully saw it all and called it all. He began in the 1950s era of Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson, on to the 1960s with Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax, into the 1970s with Steve Garvey and Don Sutton, and through the 1980s with Orel Hershiser and Fernando Valenzuela. In the 1990s, it was Mike Piazza and Hideo Nomo, followed by Clayton Kershaw, Manny Ramirez and Yasiel Puig in the 21st century.
(espn)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,504 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2022 05:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Unbelievable. He was a true icon. These icons are dropping like flies.

Of course, hiss making it all of the way to 94 years of age is no small task.
0 Replies

NealNealNeal

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2022 07:57 pm
@Region Philbis,
Vin died on the day that the Dodgers beat the Giants.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2022 09:24 am
@NealNealNeal,

fitting, but not surprising -- LAD has the best record in all of baseball...
NealNealNeal

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2022 05:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
Jerry Doggett was a good announcer too.
Just not as good as Vin.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2022 06:30 am
@NealNealNeal,
Quote:
Just not as good as Vin.
few were...
hightor

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2022 10:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
few were...

True. He was the pinnacle of the profession.

These guys would be up there.

Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, Red Barber

Damn, I remember Red Barber one time describing an infielder who had made two errors but then fielded a grounder and threw a runner out at first – "Like the Ancient mariner, he stoppeth one of three." Wow.

0 Replies