Data that does not follow a normal distribution

Leam0t

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 04:36 am
Hello everyone,
I am analyzing some study data (samples of 9 variables). To check the normality I did a Shapiro-Wilk test, more adapted for small samples. 3 of them do not follow a normal distribution, so I did a transformation by the log but one data was again not normal. So I did a square root transformation, and this data is still not normal.
What do you advise me to do ?
Thank you for your help,
Léa
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 751 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 06:16 am
@Leam0t,
Normality in dependent variables helps you say that the observed variation could be "random noise". If you have a variable that is dependent on other variables, you would not expect it to be normal because it is not random. For example, if you were to throw a ball a hundred times and measure the distance thrown, you might expect normality. If you, a five-year-old and an 80-year-old each threw a ball a hundred times and combine the data, you would not expect the distance data to be normal, since distance is a function of age, and you have different ages in your independent variable set. Do you model first, then look for normality on the residuals.
0 Replies