End of the World

Ray

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:51 am
I don't think humans will evolve through natural selection. In fact, I think evolution is obsolete to humans unless there are some people that are trapped in a distant planet... but even then I find it hard to picture an evolution.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Ray wrote:
I don't think humans will evolve through natural selection. In fact, I think evolution is obsolete to humans unless there are some people that are trapped in a distant planet... but even then I find it hard to picture an evolution.

Quote:
I don't think humans will evolve

That sentence does not make sense. If humans evolved they wouldn't be humans. It's like saying that single-celled creatures evolved to become humans.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:45 pm
LOL.

Humans wil not evolve meaning that humans will not evolve to another specie!

It's like how we say that Dinosaurs evolved to birds.

I dont' understand why it doesn't make sense. Single celled organisms did evolve to other species, and eventually to humans. What's your point?

I know I was talking about speciation and not just a shift in the genetic frequency, but why on earth do you think that what I said does not make sense?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:59 pm
Ray wrote:
LOL.

Humans wil not evolve meaning that humans will not evolve to another specie!

It's like how we say that Dinosaurs evolved to birds.

I dont' understand why it doesn't make sense. Single celled organisms did evolve to other species, and eventually to humans. What's your point?

I know I was talking about speciation and not just a shift in the genetic frequency, but why on earth do you think that what I said does not make sense?

.. if single celled creatures evolved to become humans, then we must be single-celled creatures.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:53 pm
zeroh wrote:
Epidemic. Or the sun will eat the planets.

And by epidemic I mean people will turn into zombies and eat eachother Very Happy ...(my dream)
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:35 pm
Quote:
if single celled creatures evolved to become humans, then we must be single-celled creatures.

The term humans and single-celled creatures are terms regarding species. Single celled organisms evolved (meaning to change gradually) to human beings. A long time ago, there were no human beings, single-celled organisms undergo billions of years of evolution and now here we are.

To say that human beings will evolve, would be saying that human beings will undergo speciation or a shift in genetic frequency whichever one you are talking about.

In analyzing the word to "evolve", you must understand that it is meant by its meaning relating to biology. You must also understand that evolution involves a great deal of reproduction and mutations. To say that we are single-celled organisms from the statement single-celled organisms evolved to become humans, is proposterous as the former does not logically follow from the latter. In the latter, the word become is meant in the form of several courses of reproductions.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 02:11 pm
Ray wrote:
Quote:
if single celled creatures evolved to become humans, then we must be single-celled creatures.

The term humans and single-celled creatures are terms regarding species. Single celled organisms evolved (meaning to change gradually) to human beings. A long time ago, there were no human beings, single-celled organisms undergo billions of years of evolution and now here we are.

To say that human beings will evolve, would be saying that human beings will undergo speciation or a shift in genetic frequency whichever one you are talking about.

In analyzing the word to "evolve", you must understand that it is meant by its meaning relating to biology. You must also understand that evolution involves a great deal of reproduction and mutations. To say that we are single-celled organisms from the statement single-celled organisms evolved to become humans, is proposterous as the former does not logically follow from the latter. In the latter, the word become is meant in the form of several courses of reproductions.

If single-celled creatures evolved, we would expect some part of their identity to continue, or else we would say that they died out, rather than 'evolved'. So if their identity is as single-celled creatures, what else would they evolve into and retain their identity except single-celled creatures? So shouldn't the phrase be 'humans evolved from single-celled creatures'?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:41 pm
Re: End of the World
SuperScott wrote:
How do you think the human race will come to an end?

By evolving into some other species.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 04:43 pm
Quote:
If single-celled creatures evolved, we would expect some part of their identity to continue, or else we would say that they died out, rather than 'evolved'. So if their identity is as single-celled creatures, what else would they evolve into and retain their identity except single-celled creatures? So shouldn't the phrase be 'humans evolved from single-celled creatures'?

Where and how did you come up with that conclusion?

Bunch of nonsense. I've already told you I was talking about biological evolution!
0 Replies

yequalx

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
the sun will eat us alive.. as zeroh said.. that's why neptune is moving away from the solar system.. hint hint: get on board..
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
SuperScott wrote:
How do you think the human race will come to an end?

A large Gamma Ray Burst will occur near Sagittarius-A in the center of our Galaxy, effectively sterilizing every biologically active planet in the Galaxy. By the time we see the burster, it will be too late. And if we assume it's already happened, we still can't outrun it.

The Universe can snuff us out just as easily and accidentally as it created us.

http://www.spacetoday.org/images/Chandra/SagittariusA_Chandra.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:39 pm
Interactive GRB Map

General Info

A Big one
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:26 pm
I am hoping that I never know the answer to this one. Just as soon check out before the final party begins.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:11 pm
Perhaps if we're not environmentally friendly or if wickedness abounds? I don't think we can know the answer because if we do we'll know everything. Anyway it doesn't matter. What matters is that it never hurts to live responsibly.
0 Replies