End of the World

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:18 pm
How do you think the human race will come to an end?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,938 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:19 pm
Either with a bang or a whimper. Take your pick.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:20 pm
Fiery nuclear holocaust, or rampaging pandemic.

Probably the pandemic.

Then again, the Yellowstone Caldera is way overdue for a massive eruption/explosion...

Hmm.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:40 am
Giant meteor. At least a few of us would survive just about anything else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:46 am
It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it
And i feel fine . . .

Yeah, no bout adoubt it . . . so ?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:47 am
These big blockbuster films always make me laugh.

Oh no there is a meteor heading for earth!!Quick lets all pull together, destroy this thing and save everybody on the planet!!
Yeah, we can carry on killing each other then.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:11 am
Robert Frost wrote:
SOME say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Actually, I doubt the human race will end. Evolve, but not end. However, I give my summer optimism three more weeks; that's when I go back to work educating the future of our country (may God have mercy on our souls).
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:59 am
Mass Suicide, We are all gonna eat food contaminated with Mad Cow Disease which will then cause us all to go mad. Then the cows will become our leaders and they will make us drink the special juice @ midnight..... we will all fall dead and the cows will take over the earth!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:02 am
losing the faith
in every way we can
inviting the wraith
to the parties we plan

war of the worlds
no martian need apply
feed swine with pearls
why did we have to die
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
I try not to spend too much time dwelling on what might or might not happen within my lifetime. Odds are that if it does happen within my lifetime it will be something so far out of my reigns of control that it would be sheer madness to allow it to eat me up (unless of course it's acid rain). Life is too short to get caught up in doomsday predictions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:13 am
Sturgis has a good point: short of a cataclysmic event of unprecedented scope, the human race will not end in our lifetimes. Even a pandemic that began carrying everyone off would likely not completely depopulate the planet in our lifetimes. I have no doubt, however, that one day the human race will disappear. The notion of humanity being eternal simply flies in the face of logic.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:32 am
Set, I don't think SuperScott said anything about "in our lifetime." I certainly don't expect a mankind-obliterating cataclysm to occur within the few years I've still got left. But everything that has a begining must also have an end, or so I'm told. This speck of dust in the cosmos had a start somewhere sometime; it will have an end somewhere sometime. Probably take another couple of billion years but end it must, sooner or later. Also, I believe we're talking end of world here, not end of mankind. It's all very well to say that the human race won't end, just evolve. But by that logic we can say that dinosaurs still walk the earth; we just call 'em birds now because that's what they've evolved into. If mankind evolves past a certain point in order to survive, it will no longer be 'mankind' but some new entity entirely.

Damn, I think I'll write a Star Treck script based on that!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:36 am
Nudist beware your real end is in sight.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:49 am
It's interesting to think of how the human species will evolve over time. There will probably be a lot of artificial selection rather than naural selection.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:52 am
If we learn how to get off this earth and live elsewhere we'll probably be able to survive a lot longer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:23 am
I doubt that much physical evolution would take place on this planet. Perhaps if humans colonized other planets, environmental effects would lead to significant physical adaptation, but on this planet, such circumstances are not likely to arise. We've removed our memories from our bodies and deposited them in libraries. We removed our pattern recognition and deductive and inductive reasoning powers from our bodies and deposited them in laboratories and research institutions. Evolution for humanity now would take the form of the development of knowledge outside the physical form. I could be wrong, but i doubt it.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
I agree. With health care and everything being able to cure genetic defects and problems, there really isn't much natural selection going on.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:39 pm
Re: End of the World
The human race will meet vapour, then it will become extinct from changing its own genes and a different breed emerge.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 01:20 am
Epidemic. Or the sun will eat the planets.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:33 am
In the beginning maybe we will dissolve instead of evolve.
0 Replies