Peter Jennings died

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:08 pm
ABC Anchorman, Peter Jennings, died tonight from Cancer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-jennings8aug08,0,7151732.story?coll=la-home-headlines

ABC News Anchor Jennings Dies at 67
From Associated Press

8:48 PM PDT, August 7, 2005

Peter Jennings, the suave, Canadian-born broadcaster who delivered the news to Americans each night in five separate decades, died today. He was 67.

Jennings, who announced in April that he had lung cancer, died at his New York home, ABC News President David Westin said.

"Peter has been our colleague, our friend, and our leader in so many ways. None of us will be the same without him," Westin said.

With Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather, Jennings was part of a triumvirate that dominated network news for more than two decades, through the birth of cable news and the Internet. His smooth delivery and years of international reporting experience made Jennings particularly popular among urban dwellers.

Jennings was the face of ABC News whenever a big story broke. He logged more than 60 hours on the air during the week of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, offering a soothing sense of continuity during a troubled time.

"There are a lot of people who think our job is to reassure the public every night that their home, their community and their nation is safe," he told author Jeff Alan. "I don't subscribe to that at all. I subscribe to leaving people with essentially -- sorry it's a cliche -- a rough draft of history. Some days it's reassuring, some days it's absolutely destructive."

Jennings' announcement four months ago that the longtime would begin treatment for lung cancer came as a shock.

"I will continue to do the broadcast," he said, his voice husky, in a taped message that night. "On good days, my voice will not always be like this."

But although Jennings occasionally came to the office, he never again appeared on the air.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,112 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:19 pm
Thank you for the heads-up, BBB. I hadn't heard. Been listening to some Miles Davis CDs and completely ignoring news broadcasts all day.

Jennings, for me, was in a class by himself. Not Brokaw, not Rather could touch his intelligent, suave and sophisticated, knowledgeable style of delivery. Listening to Jennings, I always had the feeling that he actually knew and understood what he was talking about. Most other anchors sound as though they're just reading from the teleprompter -- which, of course, they are.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:19 pm
Oh, what a shame. I liked him. He certainly was a lot
more than just a news anchor.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:20 pm
Damn.
Rest easy, Mr. Jennings.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:38 pm
CNN is dedicating their broadcast to Peter Jennings -
very interesting to see, if anyone wants to tune in.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:52 pm
PJ will be sincerely missed. Warm calm collected. may he RIP
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:22 am
Articulate, informed, and a tenth grade dropout. Amazing. When we lose people of his calibre, the world is lessened just a little.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:10 am
Sad.

I've been reading about him, and one thing that struck me is how the triumverate started and finished so close to one another. Brokaw and Jennings started within days of each other in 1983, and Rather had started a couple of years earlier. Then Brokaw steps down November of 2004, Rather soon after, and Jennings in April of 2005. Boom boom boom.

The other thing I found interesting was the drop-out part -- I thought it was that he dropped out, did this and did that, and ended up as a newscaster, but evidently he dropped out because he was a newscaster. His dad was too, and he (Peter) started a show when he was just 9, and evidently that's what he did straight through.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:13 am
I just heard and it is very sad. I liked Peter and will miss him.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:15 am
One of the best. A top notch reporter, anchor and human being.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:58 am
A good man
It is just hard to believe. I always considered him the "gentleman" news reporter and a gentle man. He was always focused, smooth, and yet, could somehow convey his passion in the most subtle way. He was a friend that I never met in person.

Love you Peter. God bless and God rest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:08 am
I remember, way back when, seeing him on NBC as a newbie reporter in the field, and thinking "what an odd accent." Then, not long after, i heard his say "schedule," and immediately knew . . . "Aha, a Canajun." He worked very hard to make it to the top of his profession, and he succeeded, as well. Not since the days of Walter Cronkite had any "major network" newsman commanded such respect.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:04 am
He was top-notch, had great delivery, depth, and scope to his broadcasts. The guy exuded intelligence, poise, and more often than not, he managed to make the 1/2 hour watchable, informative, interesting, never petty or smug.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:48 am
Yesterday was a sad--sad day. I sat down and wrote an essay about it, how the grand three are now gone from the new brave world of journalism (24 hour news). Quite simply, the end of an era.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:32 am
Peter J. should be a Myth about... How one can achieve just about anything with genuine interest in the subject matter. No doubt world correspondance articulated his soul so that this empathy with the nature of things could touch our soul without corporate blemishes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:07 am
Good point, Algis. I agree that it was apparent he was interested in the subject matter and that that preceded his career.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:34 am
Peter Jennings was an Ottawa-Valley boy. His first show was for a CBC affiliate just around the corner from where I grew up. The CBC had some marvellous programming last night with old tapes of Mr. Jennings as a young broadcaster.

As It Happens (on the CBC) featured an interview with Dan Rather about his friend last night. It was wonderful. As is this memory piece.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are You Quitting Smoking to Honor Peter Jennings?
0 Replies