Words and meaning

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 12:51 pm
The numerals written on dice (1 - 6) are not numbers but labels for each side. These labels are called numerals because they are not being used in an application or system such as mathematics. One numeral does not come after another, whereas numbers do, for example.

So now if I ask 'what does this word mean?' the word as it used here is analagous to a numeral: it is without an application. The 'meaning' is analagous to number, that is, meaning describes a word being used in an application, or in language. So the correct answer to the question 'what does this word mean?', is 'it has no meaning'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,655 • Replies: 37
No top replies

flushd

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:11 pm
You must be so depressed John Jones.
I'm starting to dislike seeing your posts. Why are you so negative?

"Does it make you feel smart to question people's motives? yes."
"Does it make you feel morally superior to smash people's dreams? yes."
"okay then"
....from an episode of the simpsons:)
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:40 pm
flushd wrote:
You must be so depressed John Jones.
I'm starting to dislike seeing your posts. Why are you so negative?

"Does it make you feel smart to question people's motives? yes."
"Does it make you feel morally superior to smash people's dreams? yes."
"okay then"
....from an episode of the simpsons:)

Ha-Ha
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:16 pm
Why not? Why does the word has no meaning?

Numerals are any symbols that represent a number. Thus a symbol representing 1, and a symbol representing 2 can be organized just as numbers are organized. Therefore, numerals can come after the other.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:33 am
Ray wrote:
Why not? Why does the word has no meaning?

Numerals are any symbols that represent a number. Thus a symbol representing 1, and a symbol representing 2 can be organized just as numbers are organized. Therefore, numerals can come after the other.

If you organize numerals they become numbers. And if you organize words they portray meanings.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:44 am
why can't disorganized numerals be numbers? when I type the numeral 1 the concept has been comunicated, organized or not.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 05:55 am
Amigo wrote:
why can't disorganized numerals be numbers? when I type the numeral 1 the concept has been comunicated, organized or not.

A bag full of different numerals is like a bag full of different stones. In neither case are they of much use in mathematics until they are arranged in a particular and standardised order that everyone can use.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:50 am
Rocks aren't very useful in mathematics even if they are arranged in a particular and standardized order.

I agree with Amigo. If you gave me a bag of numerals I would be able to pick out those numerals and be able to tell you which numbers each one represents.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
SuperScott wrote:
Rocks aren't very useful in mathematics even if they are arranged in a particular and standardized order.

I agree with Amigo. If you gave me a bag of numerals I would be able to pick out those numerals and be able to tell you which numbers each one represents.

The numerals don't represent numbers until they are numbers.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:03 am
A numeral must represent a number in order to be a numeral, so therefore a numeral must have meaning.

nu·mer·al
n.

1. A symbol or mark used to represent a number.

2. numerals The numbers, usually the last two digits, indicating by year a graduating class in a school or college.

adj.

Of, relating to, or representing numbers.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
SuperScott wrote:
A numeral must represent a number in order to be a numeral, so therefore a numeral must have meaning.

nu·mer·al
n.

1. A symbol or mark used to represent a number.

2. numerals The numbers, usually the last two digits, indicating by year a graduating class in a school or college.

adj.

Of, relating to, or representing numbers.

WHEN a numeral represents a number then it is no longer a numeral. A mixed bag of stones does exactly the same job as a mixed bag of numerals.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
"There is not,and cannot be,number as such."

Oswald Spengler.The Decline of the West.Chap 2.Part 3.

He continues-"There are several number-worlds as there are several Cultures."

He goes on to say that each culture's number is "a symbol having a specific validity which is even capable of scientific definition,a principle of ordering the Become which reflects the central essence of one and only one soul,viz., the soul of that particular Culture.Consequently,there are more mathematics than one."

Not that I understand fully Spengler but I have had a go.
The Chapter "Meaning Of Numbers" follows the introduction to this influential book.

What makes you of it JJ?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:27 pm
spendius wrote:
"There is not,and cannot be,number as such."

Oswald Spengler.The Decline of the West.Chap 2.Part 3.

He continues-"There are several number-worlds as there are several Cultures."

He goes on to say that each culture's number is "a symbol having a specific validity which is even capable of scientific definition,a principle of ordering the Become which reflects the central essence of one and only one soul,viz., the soul of that particular Culture.Consequently,there are more mathematics than one."

Not that I understand fully Spengler but I have had a go.
The Chapter "Meaning Of Numbers" follows the introduction to this influential book.

What makes you of it JJ?

He isn't just referring to the shapes of the numerals that number borrows. And if he is talking about mathematical number, then number is number by virtue of being in an application. Numbers are not transferable between applications. So if Spengler wants to say that mathematical numbers refer to cultures I would wonder what single application he had in mind.
Apart from that, the only example I can give to make a link between numbers in mathematical applications and mystical significances is this: That 1 thing is not countable or differentiated from many unless there is another. And that 2 things the same cannot be differentiated from one thing. And that this bears upon the way we understand God, for example, or causality.
There are also people who visualise numbers or perceive them as feelings, and yet can still perform calculations based on these curious perceptions. There is also a sacred geometry which ordinary folks can sometimes find quite powerful.
But what is Spengler doing? Spengler must present his ideas clearly. We must see what he is doing. Spengler must say in what system he presents his cultural numbers otherwise he is just expressing personal preferences, like the man who says 'I imagine the letter A to be red in colour.'
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:38 pm
If I put numeral 6 next to a stone then ask a Six year old child to pick up the piece that is there age.What will the child do.If you ask a dog.What will the dog do.If the word triggers a concept it has a meaning.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:09 pm
Amigo wrote:
If I put numeral 6 next to a stone then ask a Six year old child to pick up the piece that is there age.What will the child do.If you ask a dog.What will the dog do.If the word triggers a concept it has a meaning.

The shape 6 is a numeral, and the count 6 is a number. The six year old makes a number from the numeral.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:14 pm
JJ-

Well that brought you out into the open eh?Pretending you were a bit of a ninny all this time and you are not,to say the least.

I can provide you with an idea of what I think Spengler would say to your interesting questions.Assuming he was still alive say,which is admissable in a philosophical discussion.It won't be what I would say.I don't give an on the winger one way or the other.

Unfortunately I have to go to the pub almost now but I just have time to say that I will ponder your post at some length.Thinking of OS.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:30 pm
How can things with no meaning add up?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 03:40 pm
How can things with no meaning add up?If the child makes a number out of a numeral then the numeral had meaning. Answer this stone + stone - stone= ? and this 3+4-2= ?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
Amigo is right. If the word is to represent a symbol referring to a number, then it does have meaning.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:26 am
Amigo wrote:
How can things with no meaning add up?If the child makes a number out of a numeral then the numeral had meaning. Answer this stone + stone - stone= ? and this 3+4-2= ?

You are right. Things with no meaning do not add up. None of the numerals have any meaning until they are used in some system or other. By custom, we are used to using the signs called numerals for use in particular ways in mathematics.

The stones could serve us just as well, as long as they were different from each other, like the numerals. An abacus is a bag of stones arranged in a certain order,- the individual stones become numbers.
0 Replies