Ergonomic seating at your computer, anyone?

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 12:15 am
I'm in the market for a new chair, to use at my computer. At my local Office Works yesterday I came across an ergonomic chair which felt quite comfortable to sit/kneel on. But I wondered if it would be as comfortable if one had to work at the computer for a few hours. Does anyone here use one, or know someone who does? I'd be very interested in some feedback before buying. I have a tendency NOT to sit up really straight at my computer after a bit, which can cause a bit of back strain, though no major aches & pains.

Thanks,
Olga
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,446 • Replies: 46
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:59 am
I'm using thisstool at work and plan to get one for home.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 05:20 am
Nice, Roger! Very Happy
But what does it do for your back?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:25 am
Does anyone use one of those ergonomic stools that you sort of kneel on? Do they actually help with back strain?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:11 am
the lady diane bought one of those knee/butt ergo things about 2 years ago, it is now relegated to the kitchen and has not been sat upon for a least one year.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:31 am
It gives freedom of movement, msolga. Stretch your legs to the front, lean back and touch your head to the floor. It's quite invigorating. I got it at work, use it 8 hrs a day, and haven't used an office chair since the day it came in.

Really, how often do you use the back of a chair. Mostly when you lean back to stretch, I would bet, and the chair back only gets in the way.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:33 am
Hm, food for thought, Roger. I'm determined to make a considered choice this time. God knows, I spend enough time at my computer!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:35 am
dyslexia wrote:
the lady diane bought one of those knee/butt ergo things about 2 years ago, it is now relegated to the kitchen and has not been sat upon for a least one year.

I'm wondering why the lady Diane gave up on the "knee/butt ergo" stool? I almost bought one on Saturday.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:39 am
Tried one of those big balls?????
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:41 am
Surprised ..er, no!

Big balls? Confused

Tell me more!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:50 am
Well, you sit on them - they are supposed to make you work to achieve dynamic balance - hence strengthening and stabilising your back etc. and keeping you in constant, subtle, motion - to avoid bad posture etc.

Can also be used for various workouts.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/b:Balance%20Ball:96677177

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp74944_333181_sespider/gaiam_balance_balls/balance_ball_starter_kit_for_individuals_from_5_to_55.htm

http://www.sitincomfort.com/exerciseballs.html

http://www.netsweat.com/Home_Fitness_Equipment/yoga_balls.html

Got a phsio or chiro? I'd ask them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:58 am
Surprised Gosh, you learn something new each day! Thanks, Deb.

Looks like a great idea for exercise. I'm not certain about for computer purposes, but. Also it looks like it could take up a fair bit of space in my midget house! Laughing But I will check it out. Interesting!

Do you know of anyone who uses one?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:02 am
Me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 05:52 am
Ah. Very Happy

At your computer, I take it? So, you recommend it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:16 am
Hmmmm - use it sometimes - and normal chairs other times.

You need to have it so it is the right height. They come in different sizes.

They don't cost heaps - are you a member of a gym? Somewhere you can try one? You have a physio?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:21 am
Yes, I can see the prices are quite reasonable, Deb.

Nope to the gym. Ditto to the physio.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:23 am
I used both the ball and the kneeling chair. I used the kneeling chairs for about three years untill it fell apart. loved it. but you should try it out first - i hear not everyone's comfortable with them.
some months ago i was reading a study on chairs... or was it perhaps here on a2k?
anyway, scientists found out that the best thing for the back is change. chairs can only do so much - so having a ball, kneeling chair, and a regular chair would be the best thing for ya. too bad that's not the cheapest option...
however, no matter what you go for- it's always good to have the balance ball. they're cheap, they're inflatable...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:24 am
Well, what sort of damned needer of an ergonomic chair are you!!!!!?????
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:30 am
Laughing

One who gets quite a stiff back after sitting at the computer for hours. I fear I may turn into a hunch backed typist!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 07:09 am
And hexercises for you too - methinks!
0 Replies