Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:01 pm
Anyone know how to make them? The four kind. I tried today and though they tasted good they were not soft enough to roll up. They turned into crackers really quickly and sort of just fell apart, sort of brittle yet doughy. maybe to much grease or not enough I don't know. My mom and grandma always use to make them fresh and they are soooo much better than the ones at the store. Hope some one out there knows how thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,380 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:09 pm
I grew up in east L.A..I know tortillas of which you speak of.Good luck on your quest we salute you.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:34 am
It's very lonely here at the tortilla thread.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 07:16 am
Dunno how to make them, but the packaged ones from the store are fine. Remember, you have to turn the burner on the gas stove on high, toss the tortilla on it till it slightly chars on the bottom. Flip and repeat on the opposite side. Then, and only then, are they ready for use.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 07:59 am
What about the following link?

how to make tortillas

Huevos rancheros are one of my favorite Mexican foods.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:02 pm
I wonder how many people we could get to talk about tortillas. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:52 pm
I'm going to take a wild guess and say "Four"
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 02:55 pm
Flour or corn ? Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:55 pm
A friend and i went into a cantina on the Pacific coast of Mexico, at Bara de Navidad, and ordered some tacos. We knew they'd bring us flour tortillas and had no problem. So the little girl brings out a platter with six huge tortillas, fresh and hot from mamacita to us, with two little bowls, one with red salsa, one with green salsa. But we wanted something more like tacos, so i asked for "tacos con frijoles." (I do not speak Spanish.) So the girl brings us six tortillas and a bowl of beans along with the salsa. We made signs and gestures and got her to understand that we wanted the beans and salsa wrapped up in the tortillas. As she was turning away, i said "y con carne." So she brings us a platter with six tortillas wrapped around beans and salsa, and six tortillas wrapped around meat and salsa. Who cares, we ate and enjoyed. The place filled up with locals come to watch the crazy gringos who eat too many tortillas. From mamacita's hands to your table, it don't get no better than that.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 04:01 pm
What a great tortilla story. Smile
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:12 pm
Lol thank you very much.
I don't seem to have any luck getting responses at times. Must be my bad spelling or nick. Still haven't got the tortillas right but with time i guess I will. In any case the kids are very happy with being able to play with all the messed up dough.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:24 pm
Satt_fs.. thanks for that link it took me to a site on how to make corn tortillas. I'm thinking if I search that site further i will find flour tortillas.

thank you Roger for the advice lol the store ones are good but nothing like home made.

Setanta.. Thanks for the story lol. Myself I don't care for mexican food as much. I thought that by getting married to a "gringo" lol I woudln't ever have to eat it. But as fate woudl have it he loves the stuff and we just got to foster kids who are spanish and are not use to american food. So I guess I'll have to return to my roots and learn how to cook it. Could of saved myself some trouble by just paying attention when mom cooked and not had my head in the clouds. Again thanks all.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:57 pm
oooohhhh!!! Make some tacos, DB!! Love them!! Razz
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:59 pm
Well my wife is on the Baja right now and I expect she will bring home about 10 lbs worth so we can supply ourself and friends.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 12:44 am
Devious, From what iv'e seen you can't learn how to cook real mexican food by recipe. It's the trial and error. I hear thats especialy true with tortillas. Your doing more then making tortillas. Your preserving tradition. My Ex-girlfreind couldn't make toast. Smile
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:35 pm
Lol I hear you. I have tried 4 recipes so far and all were no where near right. Yet they had people replying on how great they were eww lol. My hubby thinks taco bell is great mexican food. I told him no that is not mexican food, it's barely food hehe. I've been having tortilla dreams lol so maybe I will fallow what I'm dreaming maybe it's my mom telling me helloooo look. When I get them down I'll tackle tamales mmm now those are good. There is a lady that comes around who makes them and sells them I love her lol they are sooo good. I did make beans the other day that came out the best. I was very happy with them. Though like you said I did not use a recipe. Just tossed stuff together and made a wish lol.

lucky you huscker I bet they will be great.
Lol stray as soon as I get them right I'll make a taco in your name lol.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:45 pm
Devious, Hang tight, I'll talk to the elders. and post my findings.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:10 pm
hehe I miss having elders. I spoke to my last living "Elder" and she said go to the store blah. Scary when you all of a sudden realize when you look around for an elder that your it. So yeah I guess I am trying to keep traditions going. Thanks will be waiting
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:51 pm
My aunt laghed at me when I asked for the recipe. She said the only way to learn is to come over and be part of the whole process. What have you started?
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:53 am
lol umm did she say I could come over? Oh I know you can video tape it and then send it over no? giggle. Well it's ok you tried thanks.
0 Replies