Going Grey!

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 10:50 am
I`m 27 years old and have been for quite a few years now getting grey hairs. It`s genetic I`m sure and maybe to do with stress but it1s starting to effect my confidence.

Is there any answer to combating them? I have heard that B12 can help? What foods will help? Unfortanely I doubt I can remove the stress element.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 500 • Replies: 18

engineer

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 10:54 am
@Emmaaaar18,
It's pretty much there to stay. Hair dye is the easiest solution if it really bothers you.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:13 am
@Emmaaaar18,
Gray is one of my favorite color. I like gray hair, I think it's beautiful. And I'm not the only one to see things that way. White hair can also look great.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:33 am
No grey hair here yet, but when the time comes I'll embrace it, I'll of earned it by then Razz
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:37 am
A woman once asked me if I would dye my hair when they would start greying. I said No. She didn't believe me. Only time will tell...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:41 am
In Newcastle they say "It's better to gan grey than gan green."
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:43 am
@Emmaaaar18,
I started going gray at about your age.

Hair dye is cheap and easy to use. If you're unsure of things, try temporary or semi-permanent (it will say so on the box). Or have your hairdresser do it, but that gets pricey quickly.

Consider your skin tone and eye color when choosing a color (because it doesn't have to match your original color). I was a kind of strawberry blonde for a long time but when I turned around 50 my skin was paler so more of an ash blonde made sense.

I now go with the lightest blonde they make, and it's helpful in that my roots are a lot closer to white now.

I will eventually stop, I suppose. But this is easy. And it beats the hell out of the steely gray I was getting (and when you've got skin with peach undertones, that looks terrible.

Experiment! Smile
izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:44 am
@jespah,
My brother went bald at 17.
Yalow

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 11:47 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
My brother went bald at 17.

What happened?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 12:03 pm
@Yalow,
His hair fell out.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 12:03 pm
I started growing grey early (and I am a very dark brunette) and coloured my hair/roots for years. But Mar 2021 I decided no more. I had about 10" of hair cut off, which helped with the growing out process. I have more white and silver than grey, which I like. I will never dye my hair again! I still have about 4" of darker colour, so it's about half and half now. A couple more hair cuts and I will officially be an old lady Smile Either embrace it or colour it. Or, I guess, you could shave it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 12:17 pm
@Emmaaaar18,
It depends on your hair color but what I do is get light highlights - so it looks like you have been out in the sun - it hides the gray while giving you some natural looking sun kissed highlights.

My suggestion - would be to work with a hair stylist to see what choices you have that would look best for your hair color, type and skin tone. Then choose what your preferred look would be.

It might cost you a bit more - but it is more likely to come out looking better and be less stress on your hair than buying stuff in the store to color it.

And the first gray hair I noticed - was the morning after I gave birth. I guess the stress on giving child birth started it and then the stress of raising a couple of kids increased the rapid development of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 12:27 pm
My wife and our daughters began greying very young. For a time my wife worked to hide it, until she learned to embrace what is now white rather than grey. Looks just fine to me.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 12:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My wife and our daughters began greying very young. For a time my wife worked to hide it, until she learned to embrace what is now white rather than grey. Looks just fine to me.

To me, I would not mind the white - it is the gray. And if it is just some hairs rather than your full head. It is the "in between" that I think does not look good.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2022 01:18 pm
@Linkat,
What's left of my hair is silvery. But it's just around the sides. On top is pretty bald. My grandfather had that. When he was ninety-eight some medicine they gave him caused his full head of hair to regrow. So in 20 years I stand a chance at ending the baldness.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 08:24 am
I went Grey/sliver starting around mid-50s. I didn’t mind then or now as I have kept my hair/hairline. I would be a bit upset if I lost hair, honestly speaking. If I went grey at 27 yrs of age, I’d accept it as natural part of aging. If I didn’t like the color, I’d change it to the color I preferred. No biggie.
Ragman

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 08:43 am
@Ragman,
Furthermore, I can’t imagine B12 or any herbal supplements would do a thing for your hair color.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 10:26 pm
@Mame,
I did the same thing, Mame! I stopped coloring my hair and actually cut it short - pixie style and then I had salt and pepper all over. It's still that way, but no more pixie, I prefer shoulder length. I can't wait to turn all white, I am looking forward to it.

To get the grey out one can use one of these purple shampoos/conditioners,
they lighten up the hair nicely.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2022 12:08 pm
Me, too.

It was an irritating process to grow it out, but now, I love it. It’s a full, wavy shoulder-length bob with chunks of white mostly around my face, thinner streaks of white spread around.

I’m glad not to be putting poison on my head every six weeks.

It feels freer.
0 Replies