Hair has split entire length of shaft...HELP

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 08:06 pm
A few months ago, I noticed my ends splitting. Since then I have had multiple haircuts, including one that reduced my hair length from slightly below my chest to just above my shoulders. It seems that no matter how short I cut my hair, it is still split! I also have a bad habit of picking at the splits/weak parts of my strands...which caused me to notice this kind of damage throughout the entire length of my hair.
So, I really need a solution. I've been looking everywhere on the internet for a straight, clear answer. I DON'T want to simply shave my head and start all over, and I'm not looking to spend $30+ on products that most likely don't work.
My hair care routine, in case this info is needed: I wash it every other day, using Garnier Fructis's Sleek n Shine collection. I towel dry, and I don't heat style. I rarely put my hair up or style it in a special way.

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2019 05:22 am
@splitenduhoh,
Well, first off, stop picking at the splits. You're definitely making them worse. I would also suggest keeping your hair short, shorter than it currently is. Let your hairdresser deep condition it when you go. With a very short haircut (as in about ear length), you'll need to get a trim every 4-6 weeks or so.

And ask about products. Tell your stylist you don't want to spend a fortune. So if they try to sell you the stuff the salon carries, ask for the information, take a photo if you can, and don't buy it. Instead, get on the internet and Google whatever the product's full name is plus substitute or alternative and see what comes up. Beauty supply stores can also be cheaper.

And if you also have problems with dry skin, ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist. Maybe the problem is coming from within.
0 Replies