Help! My scalp is terrible

Malione

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 11:09 am
I have long(for a guy that is), curly, thin hair. The problem in question is the top of my head, you can see the scalp and it looks like im balding! The thinf is that im 17 so that definitely isnt the case. I have tried shampoo and conditioner intended to increase volume, but to no effect. I also tried to change my parting, which helped a little, but still the scalp is quite apparent.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

jespah

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 11:39 am
@Malione,
Well, if balding runs in the family (particularly your mother's side), then that may be what it is. Yes, even at your age.

Now let's operate under the assumption that it's not male pattern baldness. It could be a few things, including a scalp rash of some sort. Another possibility is your hair, which you already say is thin, may be thinning more. That can happen with diet or if you tease it and the like. You can definitely break hair and you can get split ends which will break with very little provocation.

Never hurts to talk to a doctor, just to make sure it's not a medical issue.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 12:34 pm
@Malione,
It happens to the best of us.

1) There are medical treatments for baldness. I have never even considered using them, but you should talk to the doctor.

2) In my opinion... the best thing to do is to own it. Don't part it. Don't cover it. For God's sake don't do a comb over.

Confidence is sexy. You are who you are. I have a short hair style (and bald on top), I tried the shaved head thing... which doesn't work for me. Just be who you are.. it isn't that unusual. People care much less than you think they do.

I get it that 17 is a little young, but in 5 years you will have lots of company.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2020 12:39 pm
@Malione,
Malione wrote:

I have tried shampoo and conditioner intended to increase volume, but to no effect.

FYI: That's not exactly what increase volume on hair products does when it's listed as a notable result on the product. Increase volume doesn't mean it will start growing new hair.

Quote:
Volumizing or volume shampoos make hair appear fuller, bouncier and more full of body. It's more about the texture of the hair than the thickness of the hair strands.

It just does it through a trick of an optical illusion of sorts.
0 Replies