New NHL - - 05 - 06

Ray

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 06:13 pm
It's back. Crazy couple of weeks. Lower teams get good players. Pittsburgh, Edmonton... Which team do you follow?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,231 • Replies: 58
No top replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
I am sort of a Bruins' fan having been born in and brought up in Bah-st'n.

Truth is, if there's a game on, it'll usually be background noise as I don't closely follow any more.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 10:06 pm
A Boston fan! Great. Very Happy
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:09 am
Blackhawks all the way baby. There have been a ton of signings the past few days. If only they would televise more game so that I could actually watch my team play once in awhile.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:03 pm
They better! I think they need to televise more games for hockey to be popular again.

Pittsburgh and the lower teams are looking good now...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:06 pm
Wings.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:09 pm
My money is on The Rangers.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:55 pm
Reading other posts, bermbits starts to get into the spirit of the upcoming season and drops gloves

Okay, it's gonna be Boston! C'mon the rest of you, ya wanna go?
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:56 pm
Seriously, aren't there some significant rule changes coming? (e.g. No red line?)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:05 pm
Yeah. I heard a few of them were going to be No red line (which I like), less padding for goalies (which I like), less room behind the goal (no sure if I like), an oval goal(not sure if I like), and no ties (which I don't like).
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 10:41 pm
Yep new rules.

They eliminated two line passing (a.k.a. no red line).

I haven't heard anything about oval nets, but I sure hope that they dont' bring it in!

The shootouts are only for regular season games. In the playoff, teams go through unlimited overtime(until a team win).

One thing that I like, and I hope they implement better, is no obstruction. That means no grabbing, interfering, etc.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:26 am
The new NHL rules changes can be found here.

Frankly, I thought awarding one point for an overtime loss was stupid. The shootout, however, is monumentally stupid -- or, considering it's the NHL, I should say that it is characteristically stupid. I hate it when a sport uses an entirely different set of rules to break ties; soccer shootouts are stupid, college football tiebreakers are stupid, and now NHL shootouts are stupid. My last, lingering fondness for professional hockey has pretty much evaporated. Good riddance.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:40 pm
lol. Well JoefromChicago, they're not going to implement it in the playoffs. Oh, and thanks for the link.

Soccer shootouts are not applied in regular games, only in championships when there has to be a winner and well you really dont' want to play over 145 minutes of soccer in a game so I see how that is somewhat reasonable. I don't like the shootouts in hockey as well though.

On another note: Gretzky is now officially the new coach of the Phoenix Coyotes.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 06:25 pm
Bertuzzi reinstated.

Pittsburgh is officially going to kick butts.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 05:03 pm
Boston fan all the way! Growing up in New England they're all I ever watched!!

I've heard the Bruins are going to allow free admission to children under 12, don't know how true it is. I heard it from a friend who's really happy that he can bring his kids for the price of 1 ticket!
0 Replies

stratman

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 07:13 am
I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm a NY Strangers fan.

I like the new rules but I think the sport has suffered severe damage. The core fans will return but the fringe fans have already gone to more popular sports like golf and arena football.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 01:38 pm
Yeah that's what I fear. The NHL should be showing their games on TV in the US to generate more interest (especially in the south), and I think they should advertise more. The free admission OperaGhost talked about is a good bonus for fans.

As for being a NY Rangers fan, it's okay Very Happy , they were good once!!! They beat the Canucks in that '94 game. I don't get how they can't win with all those good players now though.
0 Replies

stratman

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 07:21 am
Ray wrote:

As for being a NY Rangers fan, it's okay Very Happy , they were good once!!! They beat the Canucks in that '94 game. I don't get how they can't win with all those good players now though.

Hockey is a "team chemistry" sport. Without all 20 players playing for the same goal, the Cup is unattainable. A team needs guys that will get dirty and muck it up in the corners. That '94 Ranger team had great talent but wasn't going anywhere in the playoffs until they picked up guys like Glen Anderson and Stephan Matteau (MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU!) while trading off non-defenders like Garnter and Amonte.

Jagr, Bure, Kasperitis, and Holik and their big salaries don't help the chemistry either. 7 years of not making the playoffs has made me bitter. Though I still watch all the games. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:48 pm
Jagr... did you hear he left the NHL because 7 million dollar isn't enough for him?
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:53 pm
Oh man, what I could do with 7 million dollars.
0 Replies