American Troops Going to Ukraine?

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2022 06:54 pm
Did President Biden just tell American troops in Poland that they're going to Ukraine? What did he mean by that?

If you don't want to watch the whole thing, it starts at 27 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBThJewbzU

hightor

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 04:04 am
@Brandon9000,
No. He was using the "word "you" in a general way; "When you go to that restaurant you'll see they've got a huge menu."
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 06:46 am
@Brandon9000,
Poor choice of words in front of that particular audience, but not as bad as his usual gaffs.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 10:57 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
No. He was using the "word "you" in a general way; "When you go to that restaurant you'll see they've got a huge menu."

You think so? His exact words were:

"And you’re going to see when you’re there. And you — some — some of you have been there. You’re going to see — you’re going to see women, young people standing — standing the middle of — in front of a damn tank...."
hightor

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 11:23 am
@Brandon9000,
Yeah, I stand by my earlier interpretation. "When" is conditional. And "you" is used in the general sense, except or when he refers to some of the soldiers who'd already been there. Hey, you know how the guy talks — he's extemporizing, on his feet, no script. He's not known for his rhetorical gifts. Conversational English can be very sloppy, especially coming out of Biden's mouth. Look at it this way – if he's telling them they're going to go there, do you really think those women and young people will still be standing in front of that tank? It just a typical example of Biden's ad lib word salad.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 11:41 am
Both before the invasion and afterward, the Biden administration has consistently ruled out the deployment of US troops. “Let me say it again: Our forces are not — and will not — be engaged in the conflict with Russia in Ukraine,” the president said in a Thursday address. Despite the warnings of American involvement from commentators on the Trumpist right and “anti-imperialist” left, there are no signs of this policy changing. Nuclear weapons are the chief reason why.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2022/2/25/22949351/ukraine-russia-us-troops-no-fly-zone-nuclear-weapons
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2022 07:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's my point exactly. That makes it so strange that he would tell soldiers about what they'll see when they're there.
0 Replies