Pascal Herve - French Impressionist painter???

Doins

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:10 pm
I was reading the new Artemis Fowl book, when the other mentioned a Pascal Herve. The book also stated that he was a French Impressionist painter which created the fairy folk series. With 15 paintings in the series. I looked this up, however, I could not find any information on Herve. Does anybody know if the author made this up or if Herve is, in fact, real??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 28,901 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:29 pm
I am fairly sure the character of Pascal Herve is fiction.
0 Replies

mistral

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:06 am
The Dictionary of artist biographies by Saur knows more than 40 artist by the name of Hervé, but no Pascal, sorry.
0 Replies

angelwings55

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:13 am
Pascal Herve
Pascal Herve is an international cycler from France. If you google him, there are several references to him in different languages. I didn't go too far, but he did place 6th in the Tour de Langkawi Telekom 2001 (Malaysia). I'm guessing Eoin Colfer is a cycling fan. Too bad; I was looking forward to seeing the paintings Smile
0 Replies

Andrae

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:35 am
andrae
i was searching him just now so found this site.
I haven't found anything.
0 Replies

Blackluster

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 09:07 pm
ive looked as well
ive been rereading opal deception and lost colony artemis fowl cos i knew van gogh was real so i decidefd to look up pascal herve no such luck what a bummer would have been something good to study for my art class
0 Replies

trekkie

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2007 01:59 pm
stuff on bottom of pages, coherant gnommish,translates real!
Yes, i reasearched Pascal Herve on wkipedia, and pretty much decided that it(he) is fictional, as wiki has never failed me yet, but decided to give the internet a try, and found this. I agree, it would have been fun to see the Fairy Qeen. Ah well, Eoin Colfer is such a good writer, did you notice that, in fairy language, on the bottem of evry page, there is words. I looked up the alphabet (fairy) and decoded some, as fer as i can see, its coherant, and relevant to the book, its really cool, if somone had the patience, they could decode the whole book. Exclamation
Durnesque

Reply Mon 7 May, 2007 02:21 pm
Decode
I have actually decoded two of the bottom texts... but it got kind of boring after that.
The first one isn't really relevant- it's about a chamber pot cleaner for Frond the Elfin King, and if I remember correctly, the second is a message from Foaly.
0 Replies

syk20

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:04 am
really?? i was wonder whether or not he was real and thats how i found this page 2!!!! ^ ^ ooo i was wondering what the symbols where on the bottom of the page. what is the alphabet??? i would like to try and decode them as i am bored out of me mind (i'm in korea and have no friends here b/c i live in the us).
herzenlj

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:09 am
@Doins,
i was also reading the Artemist Fowl book (opal deception) and i also hear of his name. i try to look for his name or if any of his picture existed, but his name doesnt show up. and its actually about the 16 painting. but i think pascal herve is a real person, that im pretty sure of ,
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:39 am
@Doins,
It might well be that he was a book illustrater.

But he's not mentioned in the "bible of impressionism, Théodore Duret, Histoire des impressionnistes, Paris,1929.
0 Replies

awildflowerz

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:29 am
@trekkie,
My daughter and I r reading the series now and we decoded most of the first book even tho she's on the second and I'm on the forth. The translation is very interesting.
0 Replies

awildflowerz

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 09:33 am
@syk20,
Do u still hav the books cuz if so I can c bout gettin u the code.
0 Replies

angelwings55

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 09:07 pm
@trekkie,
I decoded the symbols using a font called Gnomish. It was kinda strange.
zs

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 08:06 am
@trekkie,
I am really curious to know what the gnommish at the bottom of each page reads. How did you work out the whole alphabet and could you let me know so that I can work it all out too?
angelwings55

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 09:55 pm
@zs,
google "gnommish font" and you will find the code. have fun!
0 Replies

Nissa

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 11:16 pm
Pascal Herve is a fictional character created for the purpose of the Artemis Fowl series. If you google "The Fairy Thief" it comes up with fanart inspired by reading The Opal Deception. In all honesty, "Pascal" is probably a pun regarding to Artemis' scientific nature (anyone remember the qwark joke in The Lost Colony?), seeing as a Pascal is a unit of measure for pressure in physics.
0 Replies

tuatha

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2010 03:13 pm
@angelwings55,
It's easy to work out. The cartouche at the start of each new chapter is the chapter name so just transliterate from the english chapter heading.
HINT; the letter "E" is a wavey line beneath th preceding letter/symbol except when it begins the word when it is above the first letter/symbol.
0 Replies

VodkaCruzer69

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:56 am
@Doins,
The real Pascal Hervé is a road-racing cyclist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Herv%C3%A9
0 Replies