So Back in the Office

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 09:07 am
After what like a year and a half I am back in the office at least one day a week. It was empty besides my team if 4 .... I saw 2 other people I knew and then maybe 6 other people.

I drove ...I did not take that germ invested subway.

Anyone else go into the office yet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 524 • Replies: 13
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 09:15 am
@Linkat,
I've just recently started going in for a day or two here and there. I'm training a bunch of new engineers so it's better to do that face to face. Kind of weird, kind of back to normal.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 09:25 am
@engineer,
We no longer have our own desks as we have moved to hybrid ... We decided to just share a conference room as we had some video meetings any way.

Not sure we will do this in the future though.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:43 am
@Linkat,
Not I. Some went back in October of last year. When they told me I was to return to the office I gave them my two-week notice. The CFO called me in and said if I wanted to continue working from to go ahead and do so. I actually get more done at home without all the interruptions.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:44 am
@jcboy,

plus you don't have the wasted commute time...
jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:46 am
@Region Philbis,
Yep, and I can log in on the evenings and go through emails so I don't wake up to 50 of them in the morning.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:47 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Not I. Some went back in October of last year. When they told me I was to return to the office I gave them my two-week notice. The CFO called me in and said if I wanted to continue working from to go ahead and do so. I actually get more done at home without all the interruptions.

I do as well get more work done at home...also saves me 2 hours that round trip costs me to commute that I use for work instaed.

It was nice seeing everyone though.
jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:48 am
@Linkat,
I do miss a lot of my co-workers but I see them on zoom meetings weekly.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 10:54 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I do miss a lot of my co-workers but I see them on zoom meetings weekly.

It is different in person you jyst can't replicate it over zoom. At my last place of employment I had a team that reported to me they were in Texas I was in boston. We were all part of a larger team and would have video conference meetings. From the reactions we got from the group in Texas it was not clear how they felt. When I went there in person it improved so much more so going in person regularly really helped our communication.

Did the same a few years ago with my client...they are in another state so I went to visit them in person and that did change the dynamic much mire positively.
jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:03 am
@Linkat,
Those that are back in the office have to wear a mask all day long. All meeting rooms are closed. If you bring a lunch you can put it in the fridge in one of the break rooms but you can’t eat in the building, you would have to eat it in your car.

I can’t eat in my car and all the places to eat round the office are fast food places, which I stay away from.
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:16 am
@jcboy,
Not blaming you...I'd prefer to stay home each day...but my office just lifted all those restrictions. You have to be vaccinated and boostered...as we have some government contracts, but pretty much everything else is lifted.

We have so much room those rules are not even important as we could be 100 feet or more away from someone else.
I would not go in either if they made you eat in your car...would be really hard on all those people who take public transportation or gets dropped off. We also have a cafe but that changed where you order food online and then go down and pick it up. But you can eat in the cafe or any where you want.
jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:19 am
@Linkat,
You know what else they did. There are about 25 people that refused to get vaccinated, well the company is requiring them to bring in a negative test once a week, and the company is paying for it!
Linkat

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:26 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

You know what else they did. There are about 25 people that refused to get vaccinated, well the company is requiring them to bring in a negative test once a week, and the company is paying for it!

Our company at first was being lenient on it meaning just suggesting.. I think a lot of worrying about lawsuits and knowing anything personal about employees come into play. But then once they realized having some federal government contracts ... They were required to follow the federal government rules or else lose these contracts. It also helped them save face as far as respecting privacy as they could just throw up their arms and easy hey it isn't us but the government.

Also coming into play is many places are having a tough time hiring so being flexible might help them avoid not being fully emp!oyed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2022 10:49 am
there is another advantage I found going to the office now when hardly anyone is going in. The ladies room on our floor probably has a dozen stalls. I found that I can use a different one each time that has not been touched since it was cleaned. So I get a nice clean one each and every time.
0 Replies