The price of meat these days!

Mame

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 01:33 pm
It's ridiculous! But... I went to Freshco this morning (it's a cheap subsidiary of Safeway) and they had roasts on 50% off because the best before date is today. I got a 2 lb roast for $10.00! I had to cook it this morning to see if it was tough but it was delicious so I'm going up to get a few more for the freezer.

Are there deals like that where you are?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 01:50 pm
@Mame,
The car boot/market I go to in Frome has some very good deals. One person sells stuff just before it goes out of date.

I got 12 cans of fizzy fruit infused water for a quid.

Cheese is incredibly cheap as well really good cheese as well.

There is a meat van that I bought a huge amount of sausages from for a fiver.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 01:56 pm
I could spend my entire week's budget on a few small chunks of meat. What I would like to know is why people value that particular meat enough to pay so much. I look around until I eventually find something I can buy and still get the rest of the bill, but it takes some investigating.
Mame

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 02:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
We don't eat a lot of beef, actually, but when I see a sale, I buy it. I went back up and all the roasts are gone, of course, but I did get 3 sterling silver strip loin steaks for $5 each. I just marinated them and used my FoodSaver to keep them fresh longer. One of the best things I ever bought Smile "for my husband" for Christmas one year, lol. One of the best things he ever bought me was my car starter - oh yeah.
hightor

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 03:38 pm
@Mame,
The price of garden seeds – wow!
Mame

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 03:49 pm
@hightor,
What do you mean? They're anywhere between $1.19 and $2.29 or so... what have you seen?

You can start much of your own garden from what you buy - lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions... I've watch lots of Life Hacks like that.

Have you experienced the price of coffee going up? It is here!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 04:43 pm
@Mame,
Our coffee has gone up two dollars per can so far.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 06:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
How much is it edgar?

I get 30 oz. whole beans for $ 13.99 and it's good German coffee
https://shoptchibo.com/products/classic-blend
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 06:53 pm
@CalamityJane,
It's a store brand. HEB. Almost $9 for 39 oz. Was 6 something. I would need to clear it with the boss (wife) before making any changes.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 12:47 pm
@Mame,
Not around here, I just got back from the market and spent 40 bucks on items to make homemade tacos tonight. The only other items I bought was bread, two protein shakes and a bottle of mouth wash!
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 05:25 pm
@jcboy,
A friend of mine said they spent $70 on 4 wraps from Swiss Chalet - that's crazy. But all too frequent up here. I think, on average, our food costs more, be it at the grocery, farmers' markets, or restaurants.
jcboy

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:39 am
@Mame,
You know what’s cheaper here, fish is less expensive then a lot of the meat. It used to be the other way around. I find some pretty good deals on salmon, cod and tilapia.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 02:01 pm
@jcboy,
In the chip shop the other day a woman was on the phone to her partner saying they had no haddock and asking if he wanted plaice cod or hake.

Who in that situation would say hake?

Nobody, that's who, he had cod.
Mame

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 02:11 pm
@izzythepush,
I've never had hake or plaice. What do they taste like? We had fish and chips the other day and I chose pollock because I'd never had it. No flavour and pretty flat (no texture or bulk). I ate it, but wouldn't order it again. I prefer halibut, haddock and cod.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 02:15 pm
@Mame,
I wouldn't have hake.

Plaice is quite popular, but it's more breadcrumbs and a slice of lemon than batter.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:50 pm
@Mame,
Buying discounted meat because of being a day past due date is what I do. Not all markets offer them though. If there aren't any I buy chuck and do my usual stir fry with it. Slice thin, flour and fry in oil, set aside, fry vegetables, then add meat back in, then add seasoning sauce and cook to desired effect. Meat becomes fairly soft and tastes OK. Works wonders in dishes like beef eggplant asian style.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:06 am
I did see some cheaper meat at one of the markets but there was a sticker on it that said "Product of Mexico". I didn't buy any.
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:08 am
@jcboy,
I'd have bought it. If I would eat meat in Mexico, why not eat it in the US? Where I definitely WON'T buy anything from is China.
jcboy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:10 am
@Mame,
The color of the meat looked different, bright red, almost like it was dyed. Razz or some kind of food coloring.
Mame

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 11:14 am
@jcboy,
Ah... yeah, you have to be careful. I watched a show on one of our watchdog shows here about how Safeway (some of them) will take the hamburger when it goes brown and covers it with fresh hamburger. Gross.
0 Replies