Exterior driveway lights flickering when powered.

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2022 08:47 pm
We have driveway lights that also run to lights on the back patio. The lines are buried underground and plug into an outlet in the garage. Yesterday lightning struck the field behind the house and now when the lights are plugged in they just blink, almost as if on a timer, it looks like a runway. Let me also mention the street light in the front yard by the road also blinks. However the street light only blinks during the day and when it’s time to come on in the evening it lights up like it should. But I’m the morning when the sun comes up it’s back to blinking. As I said my driveway lights are plugged into an outlet in the garage but anything else you plug into the same receptacle works just fine, no issues. After the storm my garage receptacles were not working so I checked my breaker and it was not tripped, no breakers were tripped at all. However one gfci on the other side of the garage was tripped, I reset it and then the garage receptacles worked just fine. Now I am just stuck with blinking lights. Does anybody know why a set of lights will blink like that, almost as if they were on a timer but any other light that i plug into the same receptacle works just fine. Any advice is appreciated I really don’t want to purchase new lights and dig all that up and run new lights.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 497 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2022 11:53 am
@joshua8three ,
How annoying for you - blinking lights are only good on Christmas trees. I don't know your lighting configuration, and I'm not an electrician anyway, but could you just remove or turn off those lights and get some battery-operated ones? I know it's not a very good answer, but the work you'd need to do sounds exhausting.

You could always call an electrician in your area for an opinion.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2022 01:14 pm
@joshua8three ,
If the street light blinks at same time as your driveway lights, then you should call your power company to do a check. Seems to me there is a intermittent short between one of the three phases in the lines. Fixing that blinking street light will probably solve the problem, hopefully at no cost to you.
roger

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2022 02:18 pm
@seac,
Great idea!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2022 07:14 pm
@joshua8three ,
Have you looked at the patio lights? You don't say what type of lights these are, but I've seen some that look like large Christmas tree lights. It could be that something is fried in the light strip. A test for you: Take a lamp of some sort (like a desk lamp) and plug it into the same outlet that is powering your patio lights. If it blinks, it's the source power, if it doesn't, it's the patio lights.
0 Replies