Joe Rogan vs Neil Young: a speech / marketplace issue

Glennn

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 09:59 am
@hightor,
Quote:
WHO did not say PCR test flaw led to overstated COVID-19 cases

Why are you running to the WHO's statement? We're talking about tony. Tony seems to have a different opinion on this. And since tony has been dubbed science personified, one of them is obviously wrong. So, now you can explain why tony made the mistake of believing that a cycle threshold of anything over 35 will give meaningless results. If only he had talked to the WHO before making his false claim. Or is it the WHO that is mixed up?

Did you know that the CDC said that they were in possession of the virus, only to come clean and admit that that was a lie after being forced to produce what they said they had.

And did you know that that's the reason they didn't use the covid-19 virus as the reference point for studying it? They used a virus from 2003 to study the novel corona virus. Yeah . . .

Now, what did the word "meaningless" mean when tony said that a cycle threshold of anything over 35 will spit out meaningless results? It's a no-brainer.

Who said this:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

“…you can find almost anything in anybody…it doesn’t tell you that you’re sick and it doesn’t tell you the thing you ended up with really was going to hurt you…”
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why did they say it?
Mame

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:15 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Why did they say it?

I give up. Why did they say it?
Glennn

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:18 am
@Mame,
Because it's true . . .

Do you believe them?
Mame

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:25 am
@Glennn,
I don't believe anybody anymore.
hightor

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 10:36 am
Quote:
Who said this:

Who posted an isolated sentence out of context?

Quote:
The claim: PCR creator Kary Mullis said the tests can detect 'anything in anybody' and can't tell you if you're sick

Biochemist and PCR test creator Kary Mullis died in 2019, months before the pandemic emerged, but some of his decades-old comments are being used on social media in an attempt to cast doubt on the reliability of COVID-19 test results.

Mullis won the 1993 Nobel Prize in chemistry for his invention of the polymerase chain reaction, a technique used to amplify DNA and detect viruses. Misinformation about PCR tests, which scientists call the “gold standard” for a COVID-19 diagnosis, has circulated online for more than a year.

Now, some users are suggesting Mullis himself said the tests shouldn’t be used to detect viruses.

A Jan. 11 Facebook post with more than 300 interactions claims Mullis said, "Anyone can test positive for practically anything with a PCR test, if you run it long enough with PCR if you do it well, you can find almost anything in anybody. It doesn’t tell you that you’re sick."

Fact-checking organizations debunked similar versions of this claim in November 2020, but the quote continues to make the rounds on social media without proper context. While Mullis made the statement attributed to him, he was speaking about how he opposed using PCR tests to detect HIV, not COVID-19.

Mullis on PCR testing

The quote in question stems from a July 1997 meeting in Santa Monica, California, where Mullis spoke about the high sensitivity levels of PCR tests and how results can be misinterpreted.

In response to a question from an audience member about how PCR tests can be misused, Mullis says the test itself can’t be misused, but rather the interpretations of it can, because the test creates “a whole lot of something from something.”

“If they could find this virus in you at all, and with the PCR, if you do it well, you can find almost anything in anybody,” Mullis said. “It starts to get you to believe in some kind of Buddhist notion, where everything is contained there and everything in between.”

Mullis added that someone with HIV is generally going to have “almost anything that you can test for” and “there’s a good chance you’ve also got a lot of other ones.”

His comments were related to his argument that PCR tests shouldn't be used to diagnose AIDS. For years, Mullis denied that HIV was the cause of AIDS.

The post cites Mullis's quote – in the midst of a pandemic where PCR tests are frequently used to diagnose COVID-19 – without clarifying his comments were tied to HIV, not the coronavirus. Health experts say the tests are the most accurate and reliable tests available for diagnosing . PCR technology has also advanced since Mullis made the comments in the 1990s.

USA TODAY has previously debunked claims that PCR tests can't discern different strains, or that the tests are vaccines in disguise. Health officials say the chance of a false positive with a PCR test is extremely low, and the test cannot mistake COVID-19 for influenza.

Fact check: CDC is withdrawing its PCR COVID-19 test, but not because it confuses viruses

Our rating: Missing context

Based on our research, we rate MISSING CONTEXT the claim that Mullis said PCR tests can detect "anything in anybody" and can't tell you if you're sick, because it can be misleading without additional information. The quote included in the post is from 1997, and Mullis was speaking about how he opposed using PCR tests to detect the HIV virus. The comment is not related to COVID-19, and health experts say PCR tests are accurate and reliable in detecting COVID-19.

Our fact-check sources:

Thejournal.ie, Nov. 26, 2020, Fact Check: Did the creator of PCR tests say they don't work for Covid-19?

Archive.org, July 12, 1997, Kary Mullis, inventor of the PCR Test, Santa Monica 12 July 1997 (Part 1)

Frontiers in Public Health, Sept. 23, 2014, Questioning the HIV-AIDS Hypothesis: 30 Years of Dissent

The New York Times, March 11, 1993, Debunking Doubts That H.I.V. Causes AIDS

The New England Journal of Medicine, Dec. 11, 2003, The Discovery of HIV as the Cause of AIDS

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, accessed Jan. 13, HIV and AIDS Timeline

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, June 4, 2009, The Relationship between AIDS and HIV

The Washington Post, April 10, 1998, PANEL REBUTS BIOLOGIST'S CLAIMS ON CAUSE OF AIDS

Los Angeles Times, Aug. 13, 2019, Kary Mullis, quirky Nobel laureate whose DNA discovery changed the science world, dies

Yale Medicine, Oct. 20, 2021, Which COVID-19 Test Should You Use?

Cleveland Clinic, Aug. 24, 2021, COVID-19 and PCR Testing

Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, Feb. 28, 2017, Advances in PCR Technology and Its Applications in Healthcare Research

USA TODAY, July 31, 2021, Fact check: Genomic sequencing, not PCR testing, detects COVID-19 variants

USA TODAY, Oct. 15, 2021, Fact check: COVID-19 PCR test created to detect infection, not vaccinate

USA TODAY, Feb. 11, 2021, Fact check: Post distorts WHO's COVID-19 PCR testing guidelines

USA TODAY, July 29, 2021, Fact check: CDC test doesn't conflate COVID-19 virus with influenza

source
Glennn

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 01:45 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Who posted an isolated sentence out of context?

Just so we both understand what you're saying, you're saying that Mullis' statement in regard to the PCR-test's uselessness as an identifier of one virus nevertheless makes it an excellent identifier of covid-19. Correct?

Don't you think it's an odd coincidence that the CDC would echo Mullis' concerns about the limitations of the PCR-test?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Detection of viral RNA may not indicate the presence of infectious virus or that 2019-nCoV is the causative agent for clinical symptoms. The performance of this test has not been established for monitoring treatment of 2019-nCoV infection. This test cannot rule out diseases caused by other bacterial or viral pathogens.”
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Go get your fact-checker to explain away the apparent agreement between the CDC and Mullis when it comes to the limitations of the test.

And speaking of viruses, I assume you've failed to find anything to explain away the CDC's admission that it is not in possession of the virus, or why it took a FOIA request to force them to admit that they don't have it, and that that's why they used a virus from 2003 for reference purposes--a virus that is NOT the novel covid-19. I know you probably trust the CDC, so in your opinion, were they lying when they said they had the virus, or were they lying when they said they didn't? Either way . . .

Are you ready to present your interpretation of tony's claim that a cycle threshold of anything over 35 will give meaningless results. You've seen the quote. Maybe fact-checkers has something to change the meaning of what he said, but I doubt they want to touch that one. There is no doubt that he said a cycle threshold of anything 0ver 35 will give meaningless results, but since that casts doubt on the narrative, you're willing to ignore the fact, as well as overlook the fact that no one can come up with the virus.
hightor

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 02:51 pm
@Glennn,
Wrong thread for this discussion. Take it up here instead.

Glennn

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 03:12 pm
@hightor,
Sure. No problem. I'll wait for you there. I just want your best guess as to whether the CDC lied when they said they were in possession of the virus, or when they later declared that they don't have it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Thu 10 Feb, 2022 11:07 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

....Neil Young objected to sharing his music on a platform with Rogan and left. That's his right.

It is his right, but I don't agree with his desire to force out speech he disagrees with.
Real Music

Fri 11 Feb, 2022 02:00 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
It is his right, but I don't agree with his desire to force out speech he disagrees with.

1. I honestly never heard of Joe Rogan and I don't know anything about him.

2. It sounds to me that Neil Young doesn't want any association with that person and wants to use his own rights and the free marketplace to not have his music played on that platform.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 17 Feb, 2022 07:32 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I don't believe anybody anymore.

I definitely feel that!
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 05:39 am
Why would a climate scientist go on Joe Rogan’s sceptic-promoting podcast? ‘I agreed before I thought about it’

Quote:
One minute you’re giving lectures for 10 to 20 people and the next, talking to an audience of an estimated 11 million.

Such, anyway, was the case for Andrew Dessler, a climate scientist and professor of Atmospheric Sciences at Texas A&M University, when he was invited to appear on Joe Rogan’s wildly popular podcast on Wednesday.

Dr Dessler, who has a PhD in chemistry from Harvard and has worked for Nasa, said that there wasn’t much time to ponder whether to appear on The Joe Rogan Experience, which has been the source of recent misinformation controversies over Covid-19 and climate change.

“[Joe Rogan] asked me on Sunday afternoon,” Dr Dessler toldThe Independent. “If he’d asked longer in advance, I might not have done it but the timeline was so short, I agreed before I thought about it.”

He added: “He’s very controversial, I understand that. But his audience is too large, and it was too good of an opportunity to try to get the message out about climate change. I viewed that as being the most important factor.”

In a typically lengthy episode – lasting two hours, 12 minutes – the scientist and Rogan had a wide-ranging discussion on climate change which jumped from plummeting costs of renewable energy to deadly air pollution from fossil fuels, and the efficacy of debating scientific facts.

Dr Dessler said that he was happy with the interview overall but called it one of the “most challenging” he had ever done.

“In any two-hour interview, you’re going to say things that you regret later. I shouldn’t have brought up cryptocurrency – that was a mistake,” he noted. (Dr Dessler had pointed out that cryptocurrency mining is an energy intensive process, among other remarks, which has provoked the ire of the very vocal Twitter crypto community.)

He continued: “That said, I’m cautiously optimistic that I got the message out, and that people will hear it and understand how solid climate science is, how good renewable energy is, and how bad fossil fuels are.

“And, that this is a problem we can solve – that’s really the message. It’s not a scientific or technical problem. It’s a political problem.”

Rogan has aired several episodes with guests discussing climate change since the start of the year. By some metrics, his show gets 11 million downloads per episode.

In January, Dr Jordan Peterson, a clinical psychiatrist and author who is not a climate scientist, used the platform to claim that climate science has no basis in reality, and that solar power kills more people than nuclear.

Last week, Rogan’s guest was Dr Steven Koonin, a physicist and former chief scientist for BP who served in the Obama administration. His book, Unsettled, argues the consensus on climate change is less clear than commonly thought. A review by Scientific American described the book as “making distracting, irrelevant, misguided, misleading and unqualified statements about supposed uncertainties that he thinks scientists have buried under the rug”.

(Last year a review of 90,000 academic papers on climate change found that 99.9 per cent of scientists were in agreement that humans were causing the crisis, a level of scientific certainty on par with evolution.)

Spotify, a Swedish-based, public company, has faced increased scrutiny over its responsibility for misinformation and pseudoscience on the platform, issues which have long plagued other tech giants like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

At the heart of the furore is Rogan, a stand-up comedian and UFC commentator, with the platform’s most popular show. Spotify paid a reported $200m for its exclusive rights, according to The New York Times.

The rock star Neil Young was the first of several high-profile musicians who asked Spotify to remove his song catalogue due to repeated Covid misinformation on Rogan’s podcast. Singer-songwriter India.Arie asked for her music to be removed due to Rogan’s “problematic language around race”.

Spotify has said that it is committed to free speech but also removed past episodes of Rogan’s show. The company’s content guidelines have also been made public, and “content advisories” would be added to Covid episodes.

On Thursday, Rogan posted to Instagram: “2 perspectives on climate change. Steven Koonin, physicist, who wrote the book “unsettled” and Andrew Dessler climate scientist and Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at Texas A&M University. Both had a completely different perspective.”

While many followers posted with praise for Rogan, one user responded: “Maybe next week you could show the different perspectives of the holocaust? Or gravity?”

On Wednesday’s show, Rogan appeared genuinely astonished by some facts provided by Dr Dessler including when he refuted Dr Koonin’s earlier claim that fossil fuels were the cheapest energy sources. The professor noted that, at times, Texas generates half its power from wind turbines. (Dr Dessler later shared data from the Texas power grid, ERCOT, on his Twitter account.)

The day after the interview aired, and following a negative barrage on social media, Dr Dessler told The Independent that a lot of people had out-of-date views on renewables.

“I don’t blame people because renewable energy is changing so fast,” he said. “Last March wind and solar were over 40 per cent of [Texas] power. To be clear, it doesn’t always generate that much power – the spring is the period where wind and solar generate the highest fraction. But still, it’s generating enormous amounts.

“People just don’t believe it because their knowledge is, for example, from 2015 when Texas didn’t have nearly as much renewable energy. And when I say wind and solar are the cheapest, maybe they’re thinking 2010, when solar was the most expensive form of energy.”

Dr Dessler also appeared to shock Rogan as he listed the myriad negative consequences of burning fossil fuels, particularly coal. He pointed out that coal kills millions of people from air pollution globally, including tens of thousands of Americans, due to the small particulate matter, called PM2.5, which buries deep into lungs, and then transfers to the blood stream. PM2.5 has been linked to cancers, heart attacks and strokes.

“It’s another impact of fossil fuels that anti-climate people leave out of their arguments,” Dr Dessler added.

Towards the end of the interview, Rogan asked the climate scientist if he would be interested in a debate with Dr Koonin.

Dr Dessler said that while he wouldn’t debate science which “has already been debated in the scientific system”, he would be “happy to debate policy”.

Rogan replied that a debate on the science would be “very beneficial” for the “average person”, to which Dr Dessler strongly disagreed.

Later, the college professor mulled over if he had made his point well, saying that he had a “lot of hate mail” on the subject.

But he remained firm, saying that it was“the goal of the fossil fuel industry to keep the idea of [scientific] debate alive”.

“For people who don’t want to take action on climate, it allows them to continue to insist there’s a debate – because you just had a debate! I still feel strongly it’s a bad idea,” he said.

Given the opportunity, Dr Dessler said he would likely accept an invitation to go on Rogan’s podcast again, to be part of helping to further understanding of the climate crisis.

“I think this one event probably reached more people than everything I've done in my entire career,” he said. “It's probably 10 or 100 times more people. I've given a lot of talks to 10 or 20 people over the years.

“I think you can't overstate the importance of taking advantage of those kind of platforms when they become available. That's really the way I look at.”

independent
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 20 Feb, 2022 06:28 am
Thanks for that article, hightor. I always think talking, listening, and thinking is better than censorship. This perspective is a great example of why.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 15 May, 2022 05:08 pm
A look back at this controversy:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2022/04/24/joe-rogan-on-neil-young-leaving-spotify/

Excerpt:

Joe Rogan says he added around two million subscribers immediately after Neil Young left Spotify.

So what impact did the Neil Young imbroglio have on Joe Rogan? According to Rogan, Young’s departure — and the resulting media blowup that ensued — actually caused a serious spike in new subs. That is, two million extra subscribers in subsequent shows. Prior to the standoff with Young, Rogan was courting an estimated 11 million subscribers.

Spotify was under intense pressure to boot Rogan, though this offers another reason why they refused to budge. In episode #1807 of The Joe Rogan Experience with Douglas Murray, Rogan speaks about the experience with his guest. Digital Music News has transcribed the relevant portion of the conversation below.

Murray: You have been put through the ringer –

Rogan: Yeah, I definitely got put through the ringer, yeah–

Murray: Since I last met you, they did a number on you.

Rogan: They did, it’s interesting. But my subscriptions went up massively, that’s what’s crazy. During the height of it all, I gained two million subscribers.

Murray: I’m so pleased for you. I’m pleased for everyone, actually. When I watched what they were doing to you. As long as you survived this, something’s gonna be okay in the world.

Rogan: Yeah, they went for it, they went for it.

Murray: And because it didn’t work, it felt like everyone could sigh a bit of a breath.

Rogan: Also, it’s fortunate that the people that went for it were CNN, and they’re just so untrustworthy. And people know how biased they are, and they know how socially weird their ******* anchors are. These awkward, non-relatable people that no one – if there’s someone on TV, like pick a person like Jon Stewart, is a great relatable person who I find to be a brilliant guy who’s a kind person. If Jon Stewart thinks you’re a piece of ****, I’m gonna listen. But if Brian Stelter doesn’t like you, that doesn’t mean anything to me.

The conversation is referencing Joe Rogan’s recent controversies over anti-vax info and his use of the n-word. Douglas Murray is a British political commentator who last appeared on the JRE podcast in 2020. Rogan himself has addressed the controversy on stage.

“I talk **** for a living – that’s why this is so baffling to me,” Rogan told his listeners at a set at Vulcan Gas Company in Austin, Texas. “If you’re taking vaccine advice from me, is that really my fault? What dumb **** where you about to do when my stupid idea sounded better?”
engineer

Mon 16 May, 2022 08:24 am
@Lash,
This is mildly hilarious. Rogen makes tons of money spreading misinformation, gets lots of free press for it and is a martyr for his "hardships". He is laughing all the way to the bank and he has been the entire time.
Lash

Mon 16 May, 2022 09:08 am
@engineer,
Another way to look at it: a former actor/MMA commentator decided to start a podcast talking about things that interested him. As his opinions and persona began to resonate with a hella lotta people, he got more interesting guests.

This mix of attributes made him wildly popular and rich. The American Dream, right? The whole thing centered around him sharing his opinions.

Suddenly, because of the politicization of vaccines, he’s attacked for his opinion—the thing that made him.

He doesn’t pretend to be a medical professional.

In America currently, speaking your opinions on a few subjects when your opinion doesn’t follow the national narrative is considered practically illegal. He had to fight for the right to continue speaking his opinions.

I’m glad he won.

Rogan himself is quoted to have thought it odd that anyone would use his musings to make their medical decisions.
engineer

Mon 16 May, 2022 09:28 am
@Lash,
Or: a former actor/MMA commentator decided to start a podcast talking about things that interested him. As his opinions and persona began to resonate with a hella lotta people, he got more interesting guests. But some of his opinions on vaccines were really out of sync with the science and his opinions and his platform started to cause harm. Medical professionals reached out to him to help him understand the science. He doubled down on the misinformation, using his growing platform to give voice to ever more radical voices. Others started raising their voices, saying this is dangerous, people are going to get hurt. Those people are viscously attacked for warning about the significant health risks that the anti vax crowd is promoting. Rogen continues to expand his platform, providing medical advice all the while claiming he's not a medical professional. Despite the significant risks, more people speak out and Young actually takes action, giving up a significant source of revenue in protest. Rogen wraps himself in the flag and claims he is a martyr while basking in all the attention and wealth pandering to the anti-vax crowd has brought him.

Quote:
In America currently, speaking your opinions on a few subjects when your opinion doesn’t follow the national narrative is considered practically illegal. He had to fight for the right to continue speaking his opinions.

This is a laughable statement. At no time in US history has it been easier to promote any opinion, regardless of how dangerous, how ill-conceived or illogical it is. There are whole communities of people claiming the Earth is flat, that the government is inserting microchips in people, that the moon landings were fake. In the past, opinions like these couldn't get any traction but now speech is easy and pretty much free. Rogan didn't have to fight even the slightest little bit to continue to speak his opinions. Even had Spotify removed his podcast (which it didn't consider for a second), there were dozens if not hundreds of platforms that would have continued to carry it, just like they did before Spotify picked it up. In the battle to speak truth to power, Rogan is the power, definitely not the truth.
Lash

Mon 16 May, 2022 02:07 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Or: a former actor/MMA commentator decided to start a podcast talking about things that interested him. As his opinions and persona began to resonate with a hella lotta people, he got more interesting guests. But some of his opinions on vaccines were really out of sync with the science and his opinions and his platform started to cause harm.
Quote:

[question]
Do you have proof of “harm” Rogan caused?

Medical professionals reached out to him to help him understand the science. He doubled down on the misinformation, using his growing platform to give voice to ever more radical voices.
Quote:

This is where Rogan’s ability to speak his opinions comes in. I’m sure he
understood the government narrative, but he wasn’t forced by law to parrot it.
He resisted kowtowing to the pressure, and we saw that he risked his ability to keep his job.
Quote:

Others started raising their voices, saying this is dangerous, people are going to get hurt. Those people are viscously attacked for warning about the significant health risks that the anti vax crowd is promoting.
Quote:

Be assured—members of the vax crowd were equally if not more viscous! “They don’t deserve healthcare!” “I hope they all die off.” It was a two-way street.
Quote:

Rogen continues to expand his platform, providing medical advice all the while claiming he's not a medical professional. Despite the significant risks, more people speak out and Young actually takes action, giving up a significant source of revenue in protest. Rogen wraps himself in the flag and claims he is a martyr while basking in all the attention and wealth pandering to the anti-vax crowd has brought him.
Quote:

I gotta say, people speaking out is meaningless. The feelings of the crowd don’t matter. Young followed his conscience; Rogan followed his. Rogan NEVER wrapped himself in the flag. Rogan responded humbly, stated his opinion and feelings about what happened. It’s not fair to make false statements.

He might have been fired, deplatformed, canceled. I thought he might be.

He wasn’t.

I think the market handled it perfectly.
engineer

Tue 17 May, 2022 06:43 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Do you have proof of “harm” Rogan caused?

Statistical proof, sure. Rogan strongly pushed ivermectin as a treatment for Covid, a treatment that has been shown to be completely ineffective, and he had pretty much the biggest platform to project that belief. If 100 people who listened to him got Covid because they did not get vaccinated, you could expect one to die and 10+ to end up in the hospital. Rogan reaches many more than 100 people.
Lash wrote:

He resisted kowtowing to the pressure, and we saw that he risked his ability to keep his job.

Or he resisted changing his message because he knew that a) his position on Spotify was completely safe and b) he would get tons of free publicity and new subscribers.
Lash wrote:

Be assured—members of the vax crowd were equally if not more viscous! “They don’t deserve healthcare!” “I hope they all die off.” It was a two-way street.

Sorry no. Yes some people made comments similar to above, but that is not the same as the widespread attacks against public health officials that the anti vax crowd has launched. Public health officials are being threatened in their homes and forced from their jobs under threat of violence, so no, those are not the same.
Lash wrote:
Young followed his conscience; Rogan followed his. Rogan NEVER wrapped himself in the flag. Rogan responded humbly, stated his opinion and feelings about what happened. It’s not fair to make false statements.

Sorry, but Rogan "humbly" stating he's not anti vax immediately before repeating his misinformation, and then standing on the Constitution, claiming people want to "cancel" him and encouraging right wing media to support him is completely "wrapping himself in the flag" to me.
Lash wrote:

He might have been fired, deplatformed, canceled. I thought he might be.

Then you weren't paying attention. Neil Young is worth nothing to Spotify. Spotify knew the score when they offered Rogan their platform and their money. There were three people who knew exactly how this was going to play out from day one, Young, Rogan and Spotify CEO Ek. Of course Rogan had his team stoking fear otherwise in order to boost hits, but the outcome was never in doubt.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 18 May, 2022 11:08 am
(grin) I plan to respond. Obviously, a look at my previous attempt at parsing provides a good reason why I’m not doing it again on my phone.

I’m housesitting and don’t have access to my PC.

I’ll be back.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:32:17