Joe Rogan vs Neil Young: a speech / marketplace issue

Lash

Tue 1 Feb, 2022 11:27 am
Disclaimer: I am not making any claims against Neil Young or anyone else, but some questions are being asked about Blackrock’s role, Amazon’s possible profiteering on the exodus from Spotify and ……..who owns Amazon?🤦‍♀️

If you don’t have an operating knowledge of what Blackrock is—I advise you to remain ignorant.

Anyway, always follow the money.😎 I’m going to look into it too.
 https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/fr/cp0/e15/q65/273007073_10160571261563690_8062188352918412627_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8024bb&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=Na6-tmuZxEkAX8GI2yx&tn=5_8hivlXWOZgBoUg&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.xx&oh=00_AT_0hjJJ_Wt2dhOZgDcXb3QVJ5T0OYkaWOYAsfBHW2_8GA&oe=61FF2F82
Linkat

Tue 1 Feb, 2022 11:40 am
@Lash,
This says Blackstone not Blackrock...is that just a typo on your part...asking because I am familiar with an investment firm call Blackrock so I was a but shocked on first reading this.
Lash

Tue 1 Feb, 2022 11:40 am
By 1992, Blackstone had a stake equating to about 35% of the company, and Stephen A. Schwarzman and Fink were considering selling shares to the public. The firm adopted the name BlackRock in 1992, and by the end of that year, BlackRock was managing $17 billion in assets.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackRock#1988–1997

Owning LOTS of things.

0 Replies

Lash

Tue 1 Feb, 2022 11:45 am
@Linkat,
Yeah. I interchange them because I’m not certain of their current business relationship. I’ve just started trying to sift facts from what I’m reading about it.

So, don’t accept this as factual, but I thought some people might be interested in the questions being raised behind this story.
Mame

Tue 1 Feb, 2022 02:32 pm
@Lash,
Here's some more on the false claims:

Joe Rogan: Four claims from his Spotify podcast fact-checked

https://www.bbc.com/news/60199614
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 07:59 am
I think Joe Rogan only needs a disclaimer that he’s not an expert giving advice, and he should be able to express his opinions. It’s a talk show, not a news show.
engineer

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 08:28 am
@Lash,
The question is not if Joe Rogan can express his opinions, he clearly can just like you and me. To me the question is should he and Spotify monetize and amplify his ignorant opinions over those of healthcare professionals for money when lives are involved. Vaccine (and election) misinformation is much more about making tons of money than about anything else.
Linkat

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 08:35 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The question is not if Joe Rogan can express his opinions, he clearly can just like you and me. To me the question is should he and Spotify monetize and amplify his ignorant opinions over those of healthcare professionals for money when lives are involved. Vaccine (and election) misinformation is much more about making tons of money than about anything else.

And we should stop all informmercials while we are at it. As well as things like dr. Phil, the doctors, Dr oz...etc.

I may not agree with this guy but I think like lash said as long as he is not promoting himself falsely as a doctor or medical expert when he is not.
engineer

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 11:13 am
@Linkat,
True, but others can call him out on it as well. No one is saying Rogan is breaking the law. The insinuation is that those who are using their free speech rights to call him on it are somehow wrong. They are not. They are entitled to their speech just like Rogan is.
Lash

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 11:20 am
@engineer,
A lot of libs are calling for Rogan’s removal from Spotify.
I agree that Young et al have the right to express themselves too. I just disagree with them.
I’d also like to know if the billionaire who owns Amazon (who is profiting from this event) is pulling strings to kill his competitor.

So many moving parts.

But I am grateful that we’ve all been able to express divergent views dispassionately.
Linkat

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 11:23 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

True, but others can call him out on it as well. No one is saying Rogan is breaking the law. The insinuation is that those who are using their free speech rights to call him on it are somehow wrong. They are not. They are entitled to their speech just like Rogan is.

Agreed 100% goes both ways
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 11:30 am
@Lash,
I agree with what his former bandmate Graham Nash said: “There is a difference between being open to varying viewpoints on a matter and knowingly spreading false information, which some 270 medical professionals have derided not only false but dangerous.

“Likewise there is a difference between misinformation, in which one is unaware that what is being said is false, versus disinformation which is knowingly false and intended to mislead and sway pubic opinion. In this case, in a way that could cost people their lives.”
~~~~
I believe in free speech as long as it's not hate speech. People should be able to express themselves without harming others. When it gets too close to that, there need to be disclaimers. Anyway, this is not the only problem - I just read this article ...

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

Oklahoma Republican Senator Rob Standridge has introduced a bill that would allow people to sue teachers if they offer an opposing view from the religious beliefs held by students.

The proposed act, named the “Students’ Religious Belief Protection Act” means parents can demand the removal of any book with perceived anti-religious content from school. Subjects like LGBT+ issues, evolution, the big bang theory and even birth control could be off the table.

Teachers could be sued a minimum of $10,000 “per incident, per individual” and the fines would be paid “from personal resources” not from school funds, from other individuals or groups. If the teacher is unable to pay, they would be fired, under the legislation.

The act will be introduced into the Education Committee next week, but it doesn’t specify which religious beliefs will be used to prosecute offending teachers.

Referring to the act as “necessary for the preservation of the public peace”, if passed the law will take effect immediately, the bill states.

engineer

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 12:16 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

A lot of libs are calling for Rogan’s removal from Spotify.

That's not killing his free speech rights, it is just reducing his megaphone to something merely 5,000 times the size of mine or yours instead of 5 million times. And it is not just your hated "libs", it is a lot of apolitical medical professionals who truly care about people who are getting sick and dying instead of how much money you can make off them before they die.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 12:17 pm
@Mame,
I wonder which religions will be counted.
Lash

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 12:25 pm
@Mame,
I don’t think Rogan was knowingly spreading disinformation. He has questioned some parts of narratives forwarded by Fauci et al—some of which were found to be wrong.

He allowed guests to express their opinions. He expressed his. I think that’s a far cry from knowingly spreading false information.

Fauci spread some false information.

Because no one knew everything as Covid developed.

——————

That article you mentioned—I’d just added it to a thread here. It is chilling and infuriating.
Linkat

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 12:38 pm
@Lash,
I kind of agree here .... No one seems to know 100% or even close to that of what is going on. One time we are to!d not to wear masks and then we ate told to wear masks. That the vaccine will stop the spread to the vaccine will help prevent you from getting really ill. I am not gaming anyone for this misinformation... Its is just evolving as the medical field gains more knowledge.

Fauci was not knowingly spreading falsehoods when he first said no reason to wear masks and then learning yeah wearing a mask can help.

To me this is evolving medical and science ...so you would expect differences of opinion.

Now I can't vouch for this Rogan dude but unless he claims this is medically factual it is really difficult to get into someone else's head and claim they are being intentionally spreading false information.
Mame

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 01:03 pm
@engineer,
White religions - I hope it doesn't pass. Imagine how ignorant your youth will be if it does.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 4 Feb, 2022 10:02 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

The question IS if Joe Rogan can express his opinions since some people are trying to prevent him from speaking on the platform. Your opinion can be summed up by:

"Freedom of speech means that I and people who agree with me should get to say what we want because we're right."

I don't agree with what I think Rogan said but, all you're doing is defining your position as right and then anyone who disagrees is "spreading misinformation." You proved to me long ago that you have no respect for freedom of speech. In this country, the tradition is that people are allowed to question generally accepted beliefs.
engineer

Sat 5 Feb, 2022 06:32 am
@Brandon9000,
You are contending that free speech means the right to have your opinions amplified on any platform, so if for example you are a flat Earth proponent, ABC should carry your opinions at equal weight with those of scientists saying the Earth is round. Were ABC to do that, I would call them out on it. I contend that free speech is your right to say what you want and if I disagree I will say what I want, but free speech is not a get out of jail free card and there is certainly no right for you to push your way into any forum and broadcast as you wish. (Certainly on A2K, there are rules and if you run afoul of them, your posts are removed. Is that curtailing your free speech? Do you think A2K must publish any opinion regardless of content?) You are open to critique on your opinions and if you are spreading misinformation, you should face pushback. There has always been an axiom that free speech does not allow you to yell falsely yell fire in a crowded theater. Do you agree with that? Do believe that yelling false health information to millions doesn't deserve pushback?
Mame

Sat 5 Feb, 2022 08:40 am
Joe Rogan: Podcast star apologises over past use of racist language

The US podcast host Joe Rogan has issued an apology over his past use of racist language on his popular show.

A widely-shared compilation video showed him repeatedly using the N-word in early episodes of his show, which has been running for over a decade.
The 54-year offered his "deepest" apologies and called his past use of the slur "shameful".

Rogan also apologised for making a racist comment about visiting a predominantly black neighbourhood.

He said he "felt sick" watching the compilation, and wished he could take his comments back.

During a six minute video posted to his Instagram page, the MMA commentator also said that he hoped his errors could help to educate others.
"I do hope that this can be a teachable moment for anybody that doesn't know how offensive that word can be coming out of a white person's mouth," the Spotify star said.
But Rogan also sought to defend himself, saying that many of the clips had been "taken out of context of twelve years of conversations on my podcast".
He said that he had often used the slur while quoting comedians such as Paul Mooney and Lenny Bruce, or while discussing the use of the word in movies directed by the filmmaker Quentin Tarantino.

India Arie, the Grammy-winning artist who first posted the compilation video on her Instagram page, condemned Rogan's use of the slur and said she would remove her music from Spotify in protest.

"He shouldn't even be uttering the word. Don't even say it, under any context. Don't say it. That's where I stand. I have always stood there," Arie said.

Several artists have recently quit Spotify in protest at what they allege is Rogan's role in spreading coronavirus misinformation.

Spotify is thought to have paid more than $100m (£74m) for exclusive rights to the podcast in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60270467
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:34:37