Injury Going Through Clothing

gollum

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 02:58 pm
I fell while on a bus. I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and a jacket. I landed on the floor of the bus with most of my weight on my arm.

I suffered a somewhat large cut on my arm but there was no cut or tear on my shirt or on my jacket.

How is that possible?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 367 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by gollum
Linkat

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 05:42 pm
@gollum,
A couple of thoughts your clothes are thicker and stronger than your skin and your clothes may be loose enough to have more give.
gollum

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 05:50 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat-

Thank you.

But somehow friction of something against my skin causes my skin to rip.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2022 09:38 pm
@gollum,
I don't know how old you are, but when you get older the skin on your arms get softer and thinner and tears very easily. I'm 78, and I have to be very careful when hiking. I wear heavy knit sleeves on my arms, and I still have to be very careful because a fall will tear open my skin.

Is the skin torn back, or do you have a laceration?
gollum

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 06:34 am
@coluber2001,
coluber-

I am 70 years of age.

In the subject area, I see a pink gelatinous-like area and a spot of deep red.

I was trying to understand how the force (?) or something of the fall goes through my shirt and jacket, arrives at my skin, and damages my skin without injuring my shirt or jacket. What caused the injury to my skin? The pressure (?) of my shirt on it?
coluber2001
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2022 11:49 am
@gollum,
That's typical for someone your age. Have you noticed that a bump on your arm produces a large liver-colored bruise that lasts two weeks.

If you fall or hit your arm with a glancing blow, the shirt grabs hold of your skin and just pulls it apart.

Go to the drugstore and get some good bandage pads and tape. When I wound my arm, I cut the bandage to size and tape it on very well. After two to three weeks I take it off, and there is virtually no scar.
0 Replies