What's your dream car? Part deux!

farmerman

Sat 29 Oct, 2022 01:50 am
@Leadfoot,
guys like you bemoaned the abandonment of horses for"dead" mcines. Its all bout your time on erth.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 29 Oct, 2022 05:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
As for performance, that Ford guy pretty much said that they will sell V8 Mustangs with manual transmissions for as long as people keep buying them.
There will be always the odd enthusiasts who will (assuming ice cars aren’t banned) but I see them going away due to lack of interest. My own kids aren’t interested in cars other than for transportation. Their kids didn’t even want to get their drivers license; they’d rather take an Uber. They can’t wait for Elon's fully autonomous cars without steering wheels.

And I fear those are just symptoms of the malaise that seems to be infecting this whole ******* planet.
Leadfoot

Sat 29 Oct, 2022 05:46 am
Quote:
guys like you bemoaned the abandonment of horses for"dead" mcines.

I grew up with horses in farm country. My neighbors have horses now. Not interested.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 14 Jan, 2023 11:46 am
**** me, they just made something I want that I can’t afford.
Nor have the status required to even ask for the privilege of paying for one.

https://gordonmurrayautomotive.com/cars/t50
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 16 Jan, 2023 01:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
There will be always the odd enthusiasts who will (assuming ice cars aren't banned) but I see them going away due to lack of interest. My own kids aren't interested in cars other than for transportation. Their kids didn't even want to get their drivers license; they'd rather take an Uber. They can't wait for Elon's fully autonomous cars without steering wheels.

There will be enough interest for Ford to make a handsome profit selling rear-wheal-drive V8 Mustangs with manual transmissions.

I see this as a winning move on Ford's part.
Leadfoot

Mon 16 Jan, 2023 09:42 am
@oralloy,
I hope you’re right, but right now the only car I can think about is that V12 powered GMA T.50.

You will probably be happy that it’s NA. And manual. It seems right in this car.
oralloy

Mon 6 Feb, 2023 08:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
I like NA OHC V12s better than I like most other non-V8s.

But I really don't see why a pushrod V8 isn't more than enough.

Chevy's fourth generation LS7 engine has 505 horsepower. That's the hand-built 427 engine that was in the 2006-2013 Z06 Corvettes and 2014-2015 Z28 Camaros.

Chevy's fifth generation LT1 engine has 460 horsepower. That's the mass-produced engine that powered the base model 2014-2019 Corvettes and still powers the Camaro.

Does a car need more horsepower than that? The legendary Hemi from the classic muscle car era only had 350 net horsepower.
Leadfoot

Tue 7 Feb, 2023 01:03 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Does a car need more horsepower than that? The legendary Hemi from the classic muscle car era only had 350 net horsepower.

No, they really don’t, especially in a 986 kg machine, but the V12 is for the sound and creamy smoothness. G. Murry wasn’t going for max power, think it’s less than 5 L.

Interesting that the old Hemi V8 made (a little) less power than my 3.0L I6 Smile.
9 - 10 lbs per HP makes for a satisfying ride.
0 Replies