Don1

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:35 am
For my breakfast I like fruit and fibre with a few hazelnuts thrown in a sliced banana and semi skimmed milk.

Problem is even if I buy bananas a little on the green side within about three days they have turned a spotty brown and the taste of brown bananas makes me want to puke, the result is that I always throw as many away as I eat.

If I only buy two at a time I have to drive a round trip of five miles every three or four days.

So how do you make them last longer than three days?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,694 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:37 am
I dunno, I only buy them two at a time too...

I have heard you can refrigerate them... the skins turn black but the bananas stay fine. I haven't tried that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:39 am
Stores in my experience put out bananas of only one age, new or middle or older. No way to pick two of each...

This used to annoy me at high end stores, with great fat clumps of unripe bananas, all due to ripen within the same few hours...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 05:55 pm
don1,

there's some useful info on this thread
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27111
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 06:07 pm
Knowing that bananas have an annoying habit of turning extremely rapidly I will purchase 2 at the corner grocer in the afternoon and eat one after dinner and eat the other the next morning about an hour or so after my oatmeal.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:21 pm
soft, slightly brown bananas, YUMMY !
i don't like really mushy bananas, but what i won't eat is an unripe banana. if bananas are slightly unripe, sqeezing them and mashing them with a fork will make them a little more palatable - we sometimes mix some other ripe fruit in , if we are mashing bananas. hbg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:46 pm
Isn't it funny how everyone likes their bananas at a different ripeness.

I like them when they are bright yellow, with just a tiny bit of green at the top of the stem, and they are still firm.

Like others here, I buy 2 or three at a time.

Osso - putting them in the fridge is disgusting if you're a purist. It just takes something away from them
0 Replies