Allegiance to the United States of America

gollum

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 11:23 am
I thought U.S. passports contained a statement of the citizen's allegiance to the United States. However, I checked mine recently and could find no such statement.

Do Americans owe allegiance to their country? Where is it written?

hightor

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 01:47 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
Do Americans owe allegiance to their country?

No. It's not something that can be compelled. However, should your lack of allegiance result in treasonous behavior you can be arrested, tried, and executed.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 02:34 pm
@gollum,
I don't even know what allegiance means in a practical sense.

When I was in high achool I decided to decline reciting the pledge of Allegiance they recited by rote each morning. I was sent to the office, defied a threat of suspension and ended up winning when the school administration realized I was legally in the right. I was given a harsh face saving lecture to stay silent during the pledge (which was the point all along).

20 years later I was leading the pledge of allegiance as a high school teacher. That was a odd experience... but teachers have obligations where citizens have rights.

Writing the word Allegiance in my passport would be meaningless.
farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 06:22 pm
@maxdancona,
I pledge a lesion to da flaga
Nited States A America
Ntuda Repulic of Richard Stands
One nation ina Dirigible
With chewy and Lushiss Fernald

I was in school bfore we hadda live underneath a God
roger

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 08:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I was in school bfore we hadda live underneath a God

Me too, and Madeline Murry was my teen age hero.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 11:30 pm
I remember when they changed the pledge. That's when the entire nation began going to the dogs.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 11:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I remember when they changed the pledge. That's when the entire nation began going to the dogs.

In what way was America better off in 1954 than it was now? In 1954 we still had segregated bathrooms.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 12:06 am
@maxdancona,
but there was hope. Hasnt the "interegnii Trumpii" stolen some of that??
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 06:39 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe-

When was the pledge changed? What was it changed to?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 07:49 am
@gollum,
The last change in language came on Flag Day 1954, when Congress passed a law which added the words “under God” after “one nation.” Originally, the pledge was said with the hand in the so-called “Bellamy Salute,” with the hand resting first outward from the chest, then the arm extending out from the body.
gollum

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 08:11 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe-

OK. So I guess Congress enacted "the Pledge [of Allegiance]."

Did that law require that the citizens recite the Pledge? Or require the citizens to do anything? Did the law just establish a so-called Pledge without changing anything? Is the Pledge written anywhere (e.g., Passports) that citizens would see it?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 08:16 am
@gollum,
They can't make us say it, although pressure is sometimes applied. I've never heard of it used in that capacity (passports or other official documents).
Ragman

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 11:10 am
@edgarblythe,
There is nowhere it is written that I know of, but it is more powerful trend than just a traditional custom.

In grammar school in the ‘50s, our teachers ‘made us’ recite The Pledge of Allegiance. Was it required? Effectively yes due to social pressure. As well, so was the recitation of the 23rd Psalm (Our Father). As a Jew, I wasn’t required to say it, just bow my head and have hands folded, but that is another kettle of fish.

Furthermore, as is performed at sporting events, the Pledge of Allegiance wasn’t required but the singing of the Star Spangled Banner occurred every single game. In NHL Hockey games, it is both anthems that are sung. Clearly, it’s a statement of national support and allegiance.

Should we do this? Not sure. There is no law, though.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 11:33 am
@Ragman,
Actually...

The recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance is written in to State law, I think that most states have a law requiring the Pledge be recited in all public schools.

Students have a Constitutional right to not participate. But I know for fact it is required by law in Massachusetts, because I taught in Massachusetts schools.

Quote:
. A flag shall be displayed in each assembly hall or other room in each such schoolhouse where the opening exercises on each school day are held. Each teacher at the commencement of the first class of each day in all grades in all public schools shall lead the class in a group recitation of the ''Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag''. A flag shall be displayed in each classroom in each such schoolhouse. Failure for a period of five consecutive days by the principal or teacher in charge of a school equipped as aforesaid to display the flag as above required, or failure for a period of two consecutive weeks by a teacher to salute the flag and recite said pledge as aforesaid, or to cause the pupils under his charge so to do, shall be punished for every such period by a fine of not more than five dollars. Failure of the committee to equip a school as herein provided shall subject the members thereof to a like penalty.

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexii/chapter71/section69

I asked in Education School if a Teacher could opt out of reciting the pledge of Alligience. They can't. Teachers are government representatives; Students have Constitutional Rights to free speech. Teachers, acting as agents of the State, don't have the same rights.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 11:36 am
@Ragman,
I don't subscribe to these things. Never did even as a kid. I saw it as herding us and I didn't and don't like to be herded.
hightor

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2021 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was in the principal's office repeatedly for refusing to recite the Pledge and for sitting down during the "moment of silent meditation". I hated that crap.
gollum

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 08:14 am
@gollum,
I suggest the enactment of an amendment to the U.S. Constitution requiring each American to take an oath of allegiance to the United States.

The Amendment would also prohibit U.S. citizens from accepting citizenship in any other country.

I believe that officers of the United States and members of the U.S. military presently take such an oath.
Real Music

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 08:37 am
@gollum,
1. Whenever I am at any venue where the pledge of allegiance is being recited, I (freely) recite the pledge of allegiance.

2. Although, I am not required to recite the pledge, I do freely recite the pledge.

3. I would never want to see anyone compelled or required to recite the pledge of allegiance.

4. I believe each person should have the choice to either recite the pledge or to remain silence during the pledge.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 08:50 am
@hightor,
We don't have such here in Germany (had it during the Nazi period, and it was done in the GDR in schools on special occasions).

When I was in the navy, I always tried to be out of sight when it came to "Attention [on upper deck]! Front to the flag!". (Besides, when I had to do the flag parade myself.)

0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 08:54 am
@Real Music,
Real Music-

So, would the nation have the obligation to protect and defend that person (citizen?), but he would have no obligation to do anything for the nation?

Recently, people in several States suffered damage in a tornado. Does the U.S. Government have a responsibility to help those people? Do those people have any responsibility to the Government?