Identification of an old painting

hodak

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:13 pm
http://www.parkyourpic.com/uploads/9cfa592a1e.jpg

http://www.parkyourpic.com/uploads/7c46d4c201.jpg
Do anybody have an idea of what the above art can be. My father bought it sometime around 1955 in England. I think he told me it should be late 1500 or early 1600. It's painted on oak. He also told me there should be a signature but it is impossibly see. He was recommended an x-ray examination to find out but never did. There are some notes on the backside, se above.

Best regards,
HoDaK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,478 • Replies: 33
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:25 pm
Hello, HoDak, welcome to a2k.

I don't know myself how to check this, but there a few people who might be able to help if they see your post.
0 Replies

hodak

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 05:31 am
I checked some details on the painting. I think the hands of the lady, see below, are rather bad reproduced, not so anatomic. Also, the way she holds the mirror seen's rather unnatural. I am unexperienced in judging art but my conclusion must be that the artist is rather poor and hence probably unknown. Another opinion someone?

What clues could the ladys clothing gives regarding time era and the abode of the artist?

Best regards,
HoDaK

http://www.parkyourpic.com/uploads/7d63706196.jpg
0 Replies

hodak

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
Do anybody know any other forums or sites appropriate for above questions ?
Best regards,
HoDaK
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:49 am
I don't, HoDak - this is the only forum I use.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:14 am
www.fashion-era.com

If you post the pic on this sites forum, the lady can probably date it for you going by the style of dress, then maybe you can round it down to looking at artists from that era.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:15 am
www.fashion-era.com

If you post the pic on this sites forum, the lady can probably date it for you going by the style of dress, then maybe you can round it down to looking at artists from that era.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:16 am
Doh, ok, I just saw that it has a date on the back!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:51 am
The names can kinda make out are Ludo,Helmrict,and Etemefien.
All sounds a bit german to me.
0 Replies

hodak

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 11:34 am
Thank you very much for the tip, I should try that at once.

I been told that the notes on the back should be from some exhibition in 1868 where the painting was participating. I think my father talked about Birmingham but I am not sure.

Best Regards,
HoDaK
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:38 pm
Offer it for auction at Sotheby's or Christie's. That will give you an inferred authentication and appraisal. Every piece of art has a home and also a price. My opinion is that you have something of great value here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:46 pm
HoDaK, list to Lightwizard - he is most up on contemporary art sales of the posters I am aware of here.

I've spoken with him, he is a real person with a good art background.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:50 pm
I doubt the painting is circa 1600, the frame certainly is not. It looks like a studio work, a student coping the style of a master.
Any good auction house can give you an appraisal for a few dollars. It would be worth it to have a professional appraisal for insurance purposes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:52 pm
I don't think it's a few dollars, more like a few hundred, and I thought it was 1868...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:58 pm
Auction houses really don't give an appraisal that can be used for donation or insurance purposes. The American Society of Appraisers would give you a legal document but it's not cheap. Likely around $300. for one piece. It's more of an advantage to have an entire household appraised, be they antiques or art. The date is 1868, not 1600 and it does look German in the style of several Old Masters, including Da Vinci and Titian.

Link:

http://www.appraisers.org/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:13 pm
Ah, so Sotheby's and Christie's would be a few dollars but not count as an appraisal - that clarifies my memory of dollars and GreenWitches.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:17 pm
Christies in NY used to have an appraisal day (still might). It was pre-Antique Roadshow and I think the cost was only $5. They used it to the find hidden treasures of Manhattan.
0 Replies

hodak

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 01:23 am
Thank you very much for all replies.

The reason I thought late 1500 or early 1600 is a visit my father did at swedish national museum with several paintings sometime around 1960. He told me that they thought the "Lady with Mirror" was very interesting and dated it to the above era as I remember it. The "1868" note on the backside should evidently be the year of an exhibition. My father past away 11 years ago so I can't ask him for more details. The painting really looks old and some restoration will probably be needed
When did artist used wood(oak?) to paint on ?

Best regards,
HoDaK
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:34 am
Ah, I see I'm wrong about the mention of 1600... beg your pardon, Green Witch.
0 Replies

hodak

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
Hello,
I took out the painting in sun for the light. My mother found something written in the painting, see framed area below. Could it be the signature?

Best regards,
HoDak

http://www.parkyourpic.com/uploads/ab0a6f66e9.jpg
http://www.parkyourpic.com/uploads/c638ea3620.jpg
0 Replies