Fresh tomatoes, just picked & still warm from the sun ...

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:22 pm
Mr. Crookneck and Ms. Butt-er-cup are admiring each other's vegetables.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:23 pm
Patiodog is perhaps the cleverest among us, I quail in wonder at what he might doooo.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:25 pm
Something very acrobatic no doubt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:25 pm
Oh, but wait, PD is truly selfdesparaging and would probably not like to hear about being anywhere near cleverist. So.
Forget that.

Moving towards the dumdodo awards, who will line up?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:51 pm
Little known is that the dodo is extinct precisely because it kicked back during similar manouvres.

English sailors would have none of that, and they bashed the poor buggered bird's head in with a Madagascar walnut. Blimey. Blighted bugger.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:02 am
Re: Tomatoes
Pamela_A wrote:
A classic Italian salad. Sliced toms alternated with thin slices of Mozza cheese, (you kind of fan them out like a deck of cards) sprinkled with fresh chopped basil, drizzled with EVOO and grind some fresh pepper over the top. You could also layer this on top of a slice of french bread and leave it sit a bit in the fridge till the bread has absorbed the moisture from the toms and some of the EVOO then eat it that way, or, run it under a broiler for a few minutes.

Nice, Pamela!
And welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Just one question: What is EVOO? (I'm talking to you from Australia & know nothing of this mystery ingredient. Confused )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 01:04 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I hate tomatoes with a passion and will never touch one under any circumstance.

Same goes for beets.

Why, Gus? (regarding both your stated hates, which I LOVE! Yum!)

Bad childhood experiences, maybe?
0 Replies

crisscross

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:05 am
LOL msolga

I'm talking to you from Oz too

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

OK, I have to admit it took me a second too but I have made the tomato/mozzarella dish before so know what goes into it. And, by the way, try this with the baby mozzas in brine and get hold of lemon basil - sublime summertime eating
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:18 am
Laughing

Extra Virgin Olive oil! Surprised Duh! I thought it was one of those fancy US mayonnaise brands! Laughing Something very foreign in Oz.(Not sure what to think of using mayonnaise with tomatoes, but many here say it's great. So I'll try it once & see ... in summer.

Sounds like an interesting feed, criss-cross. Baby mozzas in brine & lemon basil. Hmmmm...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:29 am
... And while on the subject of "EVOO":

How serious are some of you about your extra v. olive oil? I mean, do you taste special varieties before buying, as we're led to believe serious cooks do? Do you buy the super-expensive exported brands? Is it a snob thing or does it make a real difference to your summer salad?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:28 am
cjhsa wrote:
Mr. Crookneck and Ms. Butt-er-cup are admiring each other's vegetables.

"Great melons!!!"

"Wanna play 'hide the zucchini'?"

Perverts!
0 Replies