Birch: Full of Grace, Versatility, and Regeneration. 62nd

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:33 pm
aww, please send my best to Aa, ehBeth, and thank her for sending news via computer <certainly not an easy task given the circumstances> and also congrats for her new terrier "Shandy"!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:42 pm
figured birch is among the prettiest woods for cabinetry. It has an irridescent figuring and ages to a warm patina. The only problem is that , to get decent board feet, trees must be forest grown so the grain doesnt look punky and wind up like a yellowish poplar.

I like River birches for specimen tees in wetland areas.
We used to tap sweet birches for Birch Beer (homemade , very special) The trees are tapped in spring so the sugar is fresh and not "green" tasting
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:53 pm
Stradee,

So Far,
So Good........

((Actual thoughts from prisoners of war who were kept at places like = Atlanta, TX - =

The end result of all the draftees and volunteers that day were - Who gives a **** - We're all cannon foder.

The "current" end for me is if there is a final connection with anyone from Alabama
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:04 am
farmerman,
So good to see you and please stay. I'm about ready to do more research on birch and post same, but have been digressing here.

danon,
You old fart. Your responses sometimes are vague and evasive - as if you are in camoflague deep in the heart of Texas. How close are you to the Mexican border?

Alabama?

ehBeth,
Yes, Aa must have something for downstairs. Best way to go may be through tigerdirect.com, although someone will have to do the 'finger walking' research for her. Will be delivered to her door when ordered. Or see if the other biggie discounters (like Wal-Mart, Circuit City, Best Buy) are having any sales on wireless stuff. Although, if there is a phone jack downstairs, she doesn't have to be wireless. Just an inexpensive notebook to tide her through this period of time. I'll do some research here.

Cell phones - all cell phones can be used to dial 911, even ancient ones. Don't have to maintain a monthly contract with anyone. Phone just has to have been activated.

Will go click now, before I forget.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:09 am
ehBeth -

Are there any 'Honorables' living near Aa?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:21 am
ehBeth,

PM'ed you with the results of my research. Everything can be ordered either online or over the phone. Need to consult with someone who knows notebook technology and value, and possibly, how to connect wireless router.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:50 am
The very cheapest way to go would be to get a free loan of a laptop or notebook for a local group. Perhaps, Stradee, you can research on your end.

For instance, my father had the free use of a computer through the Office of Aging in Texas. Might the county office, or main state office in California, have a similar program?

County of Aa's residence Social Services for Adults. They might know of something.

AARP?

Inexpensive 3-month lease. Major computer leasing companies probably wouldn't do a short lease, but the Rent America and other such outfits would. Cheaper than buying, probably by only one half though.

Local computer repair/geek outfits near Aa might do it, or know someone who will, and come over and set it up for her.

Some kind soul from a2k or old Abuzz could ship her one via UPS to use until she can comfortably climb the stairs. Use our own network.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:51 am
Tennies may still be sneakers.

Back of heatwave has been broken here.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:23 am
wow, I just read some earlier posts and I feel really bad for Aa. Dont push your healing so that you dont re-injur the breaks.
Having lived and worked in Lathrop and Stockton, I was busting my mind trying to recall where there were any hills in STockton.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:50 am
Lovely thread,Sumac. Just getting back on the computer - it needs a birch besom to clean it up. Driving me crazy.
Clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:53 am
Danon, what in gods name did you spike yur coffee with?

Not in this life <or any other that I'm aware of> have I visited the state - nor do I know anyone from Alabama. Does that answer your question?
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
Holy Moly! Just read Aa's post via ebeth- what a story of woe! Ebeth - please send my best wishes to her.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:11 am
Have done some more research for Aa, and will PM the results to both Stradee and ehBeth. Stradee, as a local out there, needs to do some leg work too.

Hi, pwayfarer,
Get a new one. It just isn't worth the aggravation.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
Hi ya pwayfarer and Farmerman!

sumac, i'm researching as we speak. <patience girl>

Here's two sites where people can donate used computer equipment with links to orgs in their state...<and if anyone has a wireless they can lend Aa please contact eBeth>

http://sharetechnology.org/
http://www.freebyte.com/free_computers/

Calavares County - Project Sentinel <A GOOD RESOURSE CALL>
DRAIL provides services to persons with disabilities that will lead to increased self-sufficiency and independent living. DRAIL is the only agency of its kind in a six-county area, which includes Amador, CALAVARES, Mariposa, San Joaquin, Stanislaus and Tuolumne Counties. It provides assistance to any person with any type of disability free of charge and also offers For-Fee services to business owners designed to promote an environment of respect and personal choice for persons with disabilities

DRAIL Mother Lode Office

67 Linoberg St.

Sonora, CA 95370

(209) 532-0963

(209) 532-1280 TTY

Also, Aa has a resource with Kaiser. Administration offices have information regarding volunteer groups that may include a free computer program - or lending group.

Government offices work very slowly, but Aa can also call the local Senior Advisory office and check out their resources also.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:47 am
No patience! Got to provide that fine lady with options! Without a computer? Harumph!

ehBeth - you are the conduit of information to Aa. Please advise us as to what she would PREFER to do.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:33 am
summie, patience is a virtue <plus the weathers to danged hot for rushing - even with fans and cooler blasting through the walls>

Aa's been receiving good information, thanks to you, and we can wait just a bit longer to hear from eBeth. Very Happy

We may be seeing a post from Aa today <from her new wirless>

<smile>
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:42 am
We're here to serve.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:08 am
lob... Shocked

ok wildclickers, lets talk bout' birch trees!

River Birch
http://dcwi.com/~bmills/trees/Birch/Birch/RiverBirch/RiverBirch3.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:37 am
And oceans

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1484620#1484620
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
Nice tree, Stradee........

Yeah, I worked my way through a bit of brandy.

sumac,
Egads! Half the species of fish in the ocean have disappeared within the past 50 yrs!! You're right - that's not good.

cleeked
0 Replies