Birch: Full of Grace, Versatility, and Regeneration. 62nd

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:50 am
https://www.archiemiles.co.uk/Images/Birch/

Silver birch glen
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:53 am
Will SOMEONE please tell me what I am doing wrong? THis was from the google site, and I even took off the google lead in part of the URL, thinking that might be the problem. But it still doesn't work!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:57 am
I made my daily rounds of inspection early this morning. Everything survived the heat onslaught. Some tomatoes, green peppers, and a canteloupe to harvest.

Also had to deal with my daily picking off of the horrible Manduca quinquemaculata from the nightshade family, as the Trichogramma minutum were late, as usual. Must have picked off 10 dozen over the past week. By the time I notice them, they have done considerable damage. By the time the Trichogramma show up, the damage is well done, they do their thing, and don't return again to keep doing it. So I must. I hate them!!!!!!

Translation: Horned green tomato catepillars are destroying my tomatoes and parasitic wasps aren't up to the task.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:40 am
Birch trees are quite beautiful Dan. G'day to you too.

sumac wrote:
Will SOMEONE please tell me what I am doing wrong? THis was from the google site, and I even took off the google lead in part of the URL, thinking that might be the problem. But it still doesn't work!

Probbly the Photography site, sumac.

Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and along the Welsh Borders - google the towns by name, ie: Cotswolds <England, Wales, etc> - <then add> Birch Tree photos. You may find some of the photos you attempted to transfer at another site of the same towns and provinces.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:03 pm
sumac, use Bt (Bacillius thuringiensis) dust for infestation <larve> then the wasps won't be overwhelmed. Plus, you won't be having to squish catepillars <yuk>

In the true advocacy sense - have you tried relocating the critters?

ducking

Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:38 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1482768#1482768

Most of the critters got relocated down the toilet bowl so that they couldn't pupate in the soil to emerge, fly, and lay more eggs.

Some met their fate under my foot or a rock.

Not much of a purist, am I?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:39 pm
In am in tobacco country too, which doesn't help. Manduca sexta love both tobacco and nightshades.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:40 pm
Duck indeed. Watch out or I'll hurl a dozen or so over your fence!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:40 pm
yikes

they fly

well, i guess if a critter foolish enough to mess with your <or my> plants, they deserve a flush down the toilet <providing you say the appropriate funeral prayers> and no - tossing the critters over my fense constitutes a breach of neighborly something-or-other <and a skeet shoot> Besides, there's a law against hurling critters intrastate called "The Volley Caterpillar Rule".

btw, there's a birch attacking critter cemetary residing not far from the peyote baskets. Silver Birch thriving quite nicely <so far> Very Happy
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:15 pm
Good news on the birch, and keep it watered during droughts.

How about under the fence?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:05 pm
Birch tree watering each day. Very Happy

Nah, not unless they're wearing Nike tennies on all 100 of their feetsies, and can get passed Mz Bella...

nail

hammer

sign

SNEAKY CATEPILLARS WILL BE HARMED <unmercifully>
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:20 pm
Tennies????

Stradee!!
You must be a creature from the early 1960's - those were such wonderful years.

Hmmmm, sneaky things SHOULD be demolished..... agreed.........

Of course - within the realm of the appropriate and CURRENT law.

Of course - that always changes.

Please re-read my signature. big grin!!!!!!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:26 pm
Or is subject to ignoring same.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:27 pm
Agreed, sumac.

I'm not nice in the end - only in the direction considered right by the masses. There isn't an answer to that - it continually changes.

<<please re-read my signature.>>

nuther big grin!!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:28 pm
Danon, catepillars and zebras don't ever change their stripes. <grin>

What are "tennies" called now?
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
Yo Stradee!!

Within my group, "Tennies" are still called "Tennies". However, I'm not sure what the CURRENT term for Tennis Shoes is.

I've been out of the teen circuit for exactly 50 years now.

I don't WANT to know about CURRENT teen colloquialisms - they don't interest me even when explained.

There are more interesting things in life.

nuther big grin!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:49 pm
Habitat supported by you and your friends

You and your 283 friends have supported 1,950,873.8 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 51,546.7 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 283 friends have supported: (51,546.7)

American Prairie habitat supported: 36,608.0 square feet.
You have supported: (10,276.8)
Your 283 friends have supported: (26,331.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,862,719.0 square feet.
You have supported: (162,057.8)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,700,661.2)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1174 44.786 acres
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:53 pm
News from Aa

Quote:

I would be grateful if you would post my message on the Rainforest thread #62 I made a feeble attempt at doing so directly, but it's been so long since I've posted on A2K that my password connection has gone glitchy, and I can't deal with that just yet. Here goes -- [Correct any errors.] Thanks!
(Doing it by increment might be the best way to go. I got gabby.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Rainforesters,

A favorite saying, often quoted by Aa:

"I hope my ship comes in before my pier rots."
(Oops, I think my pier is rotting faster than my ship is coming in.)

This is off-topic from Stradee's beautiful new thread, but for me this post is extremely on-topic in my life. I've dubbed this period of time as "A Summer to Remember".

Quote:

I am typing this is an extremely tiny window of opportunity and remain barely short of completely incommunicado via computer. I will try to make this story reasonably short in length. This is the chronology (see especially July15th & later):

May 5: My little dog & constant companion, Pepper, died via euthanasia after evaluation for cancer and a 2-pound abdominal tumor.
May 12. As part of my grief therapy, I went on a diet and lost 17 pounds by July 15th, becoming less of a lardy lady.
June 22. I went to Animal Control and adopted a terrier mix: 11 pounds, white-&-buff, 1 year old, very active, and quite untrained. The name is Shandy (after Tristram Shandy), male, & now neutered in accordance with California law.
June 30: I had outpatient cataract surgery, with several preop & postop appointments.
July 15. While walking in a relatively remote and isolated area (at a historic hillop cemetery in Murphys) with Shandy but without cell phone, I fell on a downslope lined with scree and broke all three major bones of my left ankle. There's a long story about how I was able to get back home - too long for recounting here.
July 17. Ankle surgery at Dameron Hospital, city of Stockton.
July 19. Discharged home, after 5 days of hospitalization in two hospitals, in cities of San Andreas and Stockton. Now I am coping with life in a wheelchair plus taking care of a young and active little dog who is not "potty trained" yet.

Quote:

I am at home using a wheelchair to get around (walker and crutches not allowed yet), instructed to be non-weight-bearing on my injured left ankle for 3 months. Yesterday at Kaiser I got my second heavy splint, and the cast has not been put on yet.

My daily needs and medical needs (through Kaiser health care, with hospital and offices 65 miles away) are well taken care of. There is no pain, and my spirits are fine, finally. I'm looking toward Halloween as the time when the majority of the recovery is expected to be finished. The healing time is shortest for people who are young and of superb physical fitness, neither of which would describe me. So I'll just have to arm myself with plenty of patience.

Quote:

I didn't contact anybody from my computer life until several days ago, which I did via one phone call, for starters. The first person I reached was the honorable gentleman from Indiana, who alerted ehBeth (with her supportive phone call); the honorable lady from North Caroline and Ireland (another supportive phone call, from Ireland); and probably others. Separately, I contacted an uncommonly fine friend from Seattle. There were others I would like to have contacted, but I was totally off-computer. I would like to have contacted Shoesharper, but I do not have any non-computer contact information for her.

I am grateful for the Rainforest clicking assistance. I'm not ready to resume clicking, because it required extreme and lengthy efforts to get upstairs to my computer. It took a lot of time, keeping my dog in his crate, a wheelchair, a cane, stepstools in two different sizes, a carpeted staircase and railing, crawling on hands and knees, a low table, and finally a 5-wheeled office chair to get positioned here. Therefore I continue to be "computer incommunicado" for the near-to-indefinite future, but ehBeth always knows how to reach me via non-computer means.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:54 pm
Quote:

My burning question: Do any of you have any good recommendations? Following the lead of a current TV commercial, I'd like to "shop and compare before I buy" a wireless computer setup that I can use downstairs for email & Internet connection. This would be extremely helpful to me during the recovery period. Your suggestions would be most gratefully received, though I do not know when I will get back to my current computer to read any responses.

Also, I will definitely be getting a cell phone to use when I get out of my housebound state. (I used to have one, but I broke the contract because I thought it was too expensive and not really necessary - Ho!) Somebody recommended Virgin Cell Phone (related to Virgin Airlines), especially in connection with roaming. Somebody else recommended Track-Fone for situations where the main purpose is emergency use. Any suggestions?

I wish to all a good Lughnasad - and oh, how I look forward to Halloween!.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:32 pm
damn, woman, you are optomistic.

You can't be lost.........

My loss of Aa's input is borderline - catast
0 Replies