Computer Gift Card Scam.......With a Twist

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 05:54 pm
I am well aware that there are many computer gift card scams, but if this is true, it is definitely a new one on me.

There are two people, let's call them L & C. L supposedly writes an e mail to C saying that she knows that C has Amazon Prime, and would she send $150.00 worth of gift cards to a couple of her friends.

C sends the gift cards. The next time that they meet, L ignores C's request for a check for $300.00.

A 2nd time that they meet L is very nasty to C, and claims that her computer was hacked.
L refuses to have a conversation about the issue.

Now there are Gift Card Scams, and Gift card Scams. How would a hacker know to e mail a person that L knows, and would have Amazon Prime?? The only thing that I could think of is that if there indeed was a hacker, he could access L's address book.

My question: Is C the dupe of a third person, or is L stealing from her?

Have any of you heard of this scam before?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,919 • Replies: 13

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 06:09 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I haven't heard of it, but I don't think the scammer needs to know who has Amazon Prime since lots of people have Amazon Prime. You just assume they have it and if you're wrong oh well move on to the next person.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 06:38 pm
@engineer,
engineer- But how would the hacker know C's's email address on L's computer?

Do hackers get that closely involved?
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 06:56 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Could be a virus copied out the contacts list. That is pretty common.
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:05 pm
@engineer,
That might explain it. The thing that makes this issue so crazy is that L is not a likable person, and many in her circle have had issues with her. The fact that she has refused to sit down with C (whom she knows for many years)and discuss what might have happened (if it indeed did happen) is most peculiar.
roger

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:41 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I haven't heard of it, but I don't think the scammer needs to know who has Amazon Prime since lots of people have Amazon Prime. You just assume they have it and if you're wrong oh well move on to the next person.

I'll tell you something about that. Last time I ordered from Amazon, I had to really dig for a way to pay for it without signing up for a FREE prime trial membership.
engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
If C still has the email, you could probably look at it and see if it is authentic. Also, C could contact the gift recipients and ask about it. Of course if they are Nigerian princes that might tell you something. Here is a link on seeing if an email is valid.

https://cheapsslsecurity.com/blog/how-to-tell-if-an-email-is-fake-or-real/

I will say if I was hacked, I would be very curious to see the "fake" email. To me it is curious that L does not want to see the email.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 08:41 pm
@engineer,
I don't know if that situation is actually a scam, but it's possible. Lately several of my friends from work have been hacked (we suspect Facebook) and then someone uses their name and emails requests to friends asking for favors like buying gift cards and other things. If you see requests from people you don't know asking if you will invite them to be friends on Facebook, don't do it. Once you invite them in they can review a lot of your msgs and figure out who your friends are. How they do this, I don't know......but thieves are very inventive.
Mame

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 09:02 pm
@glitterbag,
That's one of the reasons I don't do FB anymore - too invasive. Our government has told the big 3 internet/phone providers they have until the end of the month to introduce software or whatever to prevent all these robocalls. The Do Not Call list seems to have broken down and we're fed up with millions of calls from fake hotels, government agencies, etc. I must get about 20 a day on my cell phone.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 05:06 am
@Mame,
I've never done Facebook, and I also refuse to click any link with a "Facebook Click ID" in it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 05:07 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
I'll tell you something about that. Last time I ordered from Amazon, I had to really dig for a way to pay for it without signing up for a FREE prime trial membership.

That is true. And they also have it set up so the unwary will sign themselves up for Prime without even realizing it.

On the other hand, Prime has first rate TV, on par with Netflix and Disney Plus IMO.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 05:26 am
When I changed my computer, about three years ago, I forgot my password to Facebook, and was locked out of it. I know that I could reinstate it, but I really don't want to get involved in that site.

Oh, BTW, I am constantly getting e mails from supposedly many different stores, that offer me $90- to complete a survey. What is it about $90- that the scammers all use that figure?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 02:15 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hackers hijack mailing lists from individual's email account.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 08:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That makes sense, and would explain a lot. What is peculiar is the reaction of L to C. Over the past few years, L has been behaving rather strangely.

What we may have here is that C was scammed through L's hacked computer,
and L is displaying some mental health issues, (which we have noticed in the past).
0 Replies